K. Matschiei Copulation

CNorton

Avid Member
First of all, thanks to Tylene for her amazing veteran male Malachite. It took several dates before he took a liking to this little gal, but hopefully it was all worth it!

Never underestimate the power of the sun! For those that have followed in the past, you know... this has been a long process. Finally, after a cold and irregularly wet southern California winter, I had a female lined up in perfect health and great weather. Previous attempts with a different female yielded only a few head bobs and a half-hearted approach by the male. So both male and different female were given plenty of sun. Cue the music...love was in the air.

There must be some hormonal response that the sun exposure brought because the male immediately took to displaying for the female. Admitedly, observers were only a distraction so we left the two alone. Upon a check 15 minutes later...we saw this:
5609mating5.jpg

They were left together for repeated attempts and now we play the waiting game. The female went on a hunger strike for about 4 days and is now eating heartily again. Stay tuned for more.

Another female of mine laid an inferile clutch but has rebounded well. thread here

First Giant Fischer that promptly died after I brought him home as well as some additional info on treatment of a URI with a female. thread here

Last edited:
Yeah! Glad she's doing well Chad. Hope she has a healthy clutch. Can't wait for some viable eggs and some cute little babies too.

On another note, have you seen any data on life expectancy on the fischers? I was reading in the Chameleon Handbook their life expectancy is 3 years. Malachite is WC and at least 3 1/2yrs old. I hope I have him for a few more years!

It has been 6 weeks since copulation and now she is getting restless. She has gone 2 days without food and has started pacing the cage. She has gained 11 grams in those 6 weeks but has lost 4 grams just in the last 3 days.

She has been placed in a laying bin with high walls to prevent her escaping without supervision. We'll see if she's ready to lay!!

If anyone is interested in more details, I have kept records and observations as I am not aware of any breeding documentation with this species.

Alba was placed in her inescapable laying bin on 6/17/10 and removed on 6/20/10. Her eggs are bright white and all appear to be in excellent shape. Now begins the waiting game.

I am unsure of actual incubation duration as I am not aware it has ever been published. If anyone has information otherwise please correct me!

I would research the durations of other kinds of Fischers chameleons and go from there.

Here in the states I'm not aware of any documented breeding records for Giant Fischers.

This species has been bred in the US before but none of the records distinguished between the former fischeri subspecies and all just said something to the effect of 8-11 months depending on subspecies. A lot depends on the incubation temperatures but K. multituberculata seems to be on the upper end of that period (11-12 months) and K. vosseleri took 9 months for me. I don't have personal experience incubating this subspecies, unfortunately.

Chris

This species has been bred in the US before but none of the records distinguished between the former fischeri subspecies and all just said something to the effect of 8-11 months depending on subspecies. A lot depends on the incubation temperatures but K. multituberculata seems to be on the upper end of that period (11-12 months) and K. vosseleri took 9 months for me. I don't have personal experience incubating this subspecies, unfortunately.

Chris

So you're saying it HAS been done before? When you refer to "records" are you referring to CiN, adcham, magazine, or chameleonnews articles? Why can't I seem to find any of these "records?"

Well, I have been expecting a similar incubation period to the other kinyongia species. I'll let you all know my success or failure. I would appreciate any documentation that I could use...so I'll make sure whoever else after me can enjoy what I have learned.

Thanks Chris for chiming in, I appreciate your input.

K.Matschiei- Giant Fischer's I have never come across any kind of detailed written documented records for this subspecies being bred here in the states other than what you are doing.

Hey Chad,
Just wondering about your eggs! They should be getting ready to pop. Can't wait to see a baby Malachite! It's been 11 months now? Keep us posted.

Don't worry Tylene! I haven't forgotten! I have been eagerly anticipating these babies for 11 months and none very patiently! I've got my fruit fly cultures all set to full production.

I have been charting the temperatures the eggs have been incubating at, taking weights for monitoring the humidity/water content in the medium, and even measure the length of the eggs. But they haven't grown lengthwise but widthwise! They have gotten fatter but not longer, in other words.

The eggs still all look viable and white. I have not lost a single egg. There hasn't been any sweating and there may not be. We'll just have to wait and see!

Jep,thats my:D
Last clutch hatched two months ago(100 procent hatching).
Incubation takes between 11 and 13 months,mostly a bit longer than 1 year.Baby's doing great(just lost one)pictures are on www.doelgroepkameleons.be
I have 4 more clutches to hatch between this and two monts,almost 55 eggs.
Succes with your eggs Chad;)

They were breed here in Germany and in the Netherlands / or Belgium

Who is the keeper in Germany?

Jurgen! I'm glad that you posted here! It's good to hear that your babies are doing well. I really hope that we can start captive breeding this species so that importation every 1-5 years is not the only way to obtain a Giant Fischer's.

As I am aware, only myself and Tylene have Giant Fischer's in the US. This is an open-ended invitation to introduce yourself from wherever you are...if you keep Kinyongia Matschiei post here and show us!!:D

Who is the keeper in Germany?

Jurgen! I'm glad that you posted here! It's good to hear that your babies are doing well. I really hope that we can start captive breeding this species so that importation every 1-5 years is not the only way to obtain a Giant Fischer's.

As I am aware, only myself and Tylene have Giant Fischer's in the US. This is an open-ended invitation to introduce yourself from wherever you are...if you keep Kinyongia Matschiei post here and show us!!:D

Im hoping Todnedos eggs hatch!! Would love a nice CB pair;) Its killing me not to have some Kinyongia hanging around:( I think that is what I need to go back to since I have had more success with them than any other species. I think my husbandry and methods suit those species better than any other.

Back
Top Bottom