Juvenile without colors yet

Cham997

I'm new to the hobby, so hopefully i won't be flamed. I bought an ambilobe panther baby from a breeder back in July. Was healthy and eating fine when i got him and still is. He has a voracious appetite, climbs all over his enclosure which is 4x2x2 foot. I have live plants, a fogger and a dripper and mist it manually twice a day currently. temp is 80 at the top with 60% humidity. He is now about 5 months old, and still no colors. He will go from light brown to dark brown depending on if he is warming up or not, but no sign of any color other than that yet. I was under the impression they get color around 3-4 months, so I am a little worried i'm doing something wrong. Any thoughts?

here are a couple pics

Attachments

• IMG_20221026_192207.jpg
    IMG_20221026_192207.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_20221104_113120.jpg
    IMG_20221104_113120.jpg
    589.9 KB · Views: 51
Hi there welcome to the forum. If you can get some pics showing the tail base that would be helpful. We are looking for the tail base to see if it is male or female. Like this http://www.muchadoaboutchameleons.com/2013/04/male-or-female-how-to-sex-baby-panther.html

Make sure your not running the fogger during the day with the lights on. You want to only run this at night when temps are cool otherwise they can develop respiratory infections.
Do you have a linear UVB light?

I was told by the breeder that it's a male. I'll see if i can get a picture of the tail base in a bit. I run the fogger a couple times a day during the day to keep the humidity up around 60%. I run it a lot more at night.

I was told by the breeder that it's a male. I'll see if i can get a picture of the tail base in a bit. I run the fogger a couple times a day during the day to keep the humidity up around 60%. I run it a lot more at night.
I do have a linear UVB

Would stop running fogger during day like bemem said. Can try adding more plants. If have screen cage seal up back and sides to help hold moisture in.

Right but seeing the tail base will confirm gender. I am not seeing typical male colors. A 5 month old is typically showing colors. I am seeing more female color and pattern. But I will not say gender without seeing the tail base since this is how we are able to confirm. I do not want to give you the wrong information. And breeders make mistakes. Depending on where you got the cham some of them are not as reliable as others.

This little one also looks smaller for a 5 month old.

Per the fogging. Honestly this is just to ensure your not creating an environment of hot moist air. This can cause a respiratory infection for the cham. As long as your humidity is staying in the 40-50% range in the day it is fine. Then fogging at night when temps have dropped below 67.

Right but seeing the tail base will confirm gender. I am not seeing typical male colors. A 5 month old is typically showing colors. I am seeing more female color and pattern. But I will not say gender without seeing the tail base since this is how we are able to confirm. I do not want to give you the wrong information. And breeders make mistakes. Depending on where you got the cham some of them are not as reliable as others.

This little one also looks smaller for a 5 month old.

Per the fogging. Honestly this is just to ensure your not creating an environment of hot moist air. This can cause a respiratory infection for the cham. As long as your humidity is staying in the 40-50% range in the day it is fine. Then fogging at night when temps have dropped below 67.
i was told humidity needed to be in the 60% range for Panthers, is that not true?

Thanks for your help everyone, i'm contacting the breeder now.
good luck
Females are not bad... Just a few tweaks are needed in their temps and food intake. Plus a lay bin. They are often very sweet. So if the breeder is not willing to do anything for you we can teach you how to care for her.

The breeder wants to wait a month to be sure. I think 5 months is long enough, but I guess we'll see.
Well hopefully they will do right by you. Not all will. What are you hoping they will do? Return the additional money paid for a male or take her back?

Back
Top Bottom