Juvenile veiled cham seems to be dark colored while in his enclosure

erin.rf

Hello all, I recently purchased my first chameleon around 2 weeks ago. He is doing well but it seems as if he is always dark colored while in his enclosure and when i take him out he seems to brighten up a bit so i’m wondering if something in his cage isn’t right. At first i thought it could be the humidity so i covered 3 sides of the cage but he still seems to be dark. The basking temp is around 85. any input is appreciated!

Attachments

• C158C743-66D2-4BF6-8742-D9A7E40CA883.jpeg
    C158C743-66D2-4BF6-8742-D9A7E40CA883.jpeg
    193.4 KB · Views: 54
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Male juvenile veiled chameleon. I’ve had him for 2 weeks.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? I try to handle him once a day because he seems to enjoy going outside and out of his cage.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? crickets every morning along with a couple super worms each week. I am going to order horn worms within the next few days.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? repticalcium with d3 and without d3. herptivite multivitamin. d3 and multivitamin every 2 weeks. w/out d3 every day
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I use reptirain every 2 hours for 45 seconds and have 2 nozzles spraying from different sides of the cage. yes i see him drinking and cleaning his eyes often.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? moist but formed brown along with white urate. never been tested
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? screen with 3 sides closed to help with humididy. medium reptibreeze(will upgrade when he grows up)
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? 5.0 UVB along with 60 watt daylight blue.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? 82-86 basking temp. ambiant temp-73 lowest overnight is 70. measured with temperature probe.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Just ordered a hygrometer and should come in tomorrow. but i heavily spray down cage once a day with manual mister along with the reptirain and the 3 sides taped up so i don’t think humidity is the issue.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? No live plants yet just artificial.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? not near air vents but there is a fan in the room
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Austin Texas

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. Dark colors when he is in enclosure

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 751FDDE6-EB58-40B1-B6A0-83E5B09D829C.jpeg
    751FDDE6-EB58-40B1-B6A0-83E5B09D829C.jpeg
    240 KB · Views: 49
If he likes it ok don't stress too much while holding him.
Get more food varieties like roaches, silkworms, BSFL, and waxworms (only treats)
Good supplements. do calcium vitamins with 3 every 2 weeks without d3 every feeding
Medium? the minimum for a juvenile/adult is 4x2x2
Get rid of that daylight blue now! get a 75w zoo med basking light its this ->
1546825851564.png
get rid of that compact UVB and get a zoo med 5.0 long
1546825754625.png

More plants so he doesn't fell exposed to wild that might also be the dark issue by chance.

I only have the medium while he’s young because people were saying it hard for the babies to find their food and his body is probably only 3 or 4 inches. Wouldn’t the 75w be too hot for him? since young are supposed to have a lower basking temp around 85 which is what mine is. And okay that’s what i was thinking about the UVB but wasn’t totally sure. Thanks for your input!!

I only have the medium while he’s young because people were saying it hard for the babies to find their food and his body is probably only 3 or 4 inches. Wouldn’t the 75w be too hot for him? since young are supposed to have a lower basking temp around 85 which is what mine is. And okay that’s what i was thinking about the UVB but wasn’t totally sure. Thanks for your input!!
You can go straight to the 2x2x4, if baby Chams in the wild manage to find food a Cham in a confined space definitely can...

Back
Top Bottom