Juvenile Female Veiled Chameleon

Good morning everyone! I was just curious as to what I should try and switch to see what my female Veiled will potentially like as far as food. I have been feeding her large crickets but want to switch things up because I do not want her to get bored. Anyone suggest what I should try? I was thinking soldier fly larvae and maybe something else..

Black soldier fly larva and flies are great! Especially for a female who may need the extra calcium for egg production. I try to rotate the 3 main staples: crickets, dubia, and silkworms. My guys like everything except dubia at the moment, but it changes all the time... some people have chams that won't touch a cricket or worm!

I am raising all 3 so I (hopefully) don't need to buy feeders any more, but if I had to pick, I'd recommend dubia simply for the ease of keeping and gutloading. Silkworms are my favorite, but they're a bit more expensive and more work. Outside of that, I try to offer at least one other food at every feeding for a little variety. It might be a BSFL, a hornworm, a couple superworms, etc. So today, for example, they got silkworms and superworms. Next feeding is dubia and hornworms. Variety is the key to a happy cham, and a healthy diet. Doesn't mean you need a big variety every day, but I strive to.

If you need a place to get a wide variety of feeders, I highly recommend rainbowmealworms.com. They offer all of them, and their prices are hard to beat. Even with shipping, they are WAY cheaper than buying at a local pet shop. Better quality feeders, too.

Clarice's rotation is no different than the boys', with the exception of after she lays her first clutch... then I will give her some foods to help her recover for a week or so before going back to normal rotation.

Here’s an example of food I offered one of my chams the other day. Dubia & BSFL (both gutloaded with carrots and Repashy “superload”), small silkworms, and I sprinkled moistened bee pollen and calcium on them all. Part of the reason I offer a mix is because my guys will pick out only the foods they like... but if they are mixed they often get a dubia by accident while scooping up that superworm! :p

My chameleons eat way better than I do. :p

F084BECF-0C3D-4FD3-8245-88B9B18DFF1B.jpeg

Black soldier fly larva and flies are great! Especially for a female who may need the extra calcium for egg production. I try to rotate the 3 main staples: crickets, dubia, and silkworms. My guys like everything except dubia at the moment, but it changes all the time... some people have chams that won't touch a cricket or worm!

I am raising all 3 so I (hopefully) don't need to buy feeders any more, but if I had to pick, I'd recommend dubia simply for the ease of keeping and gutloading. Silkworms are my favorite, but they're a bit more expensive and more work. Outside of that, I try to offer at least one other food at every feeding for a little variety. It might be a BSFL, a hornworm, a couple superworms, etc. So today, for example, they got silkworms and superworms. Next feeding is dubia and hornworms. Variety is the key to a happy cham, and a healthy diet. Doesn't mean you need a big variety every day, but I strive to.

If you need a place to get a wide variety of feeders, I highly recommend rainbowmealworms.com. They offer all of them, and their prices are hard to beat. Even with shipping, they are WAY cheaper than buying at a local pet shop. Better quality feeders, too.

Clarice's rotation is no different than the boys', with the exception of after she lays her first clutch... then I will give her some foods to help her recover for a week or so before going back to normal rotation.
Excellent information! Thank you sooo much!

Besides Josh's Frogs and Rainbowmealworms, is there a place you recommend for buying feeders online? I live in Florida and dont want my feeders to arrive dead

There's lots of good ones! Most will require to have it held and picked up at the post office to avoid the heat killing them all in shipment. Rainbow is the only one I'm familiar with who sells a huge variety. If you're in florida, they regulate which roaches you can use... can't recall if dubia are legal but green banana and surinam are, I think. @nick barta a is a great resource for roaches. @spryo sells silkworms and eggs.

I didnt request that they be held at the post office though.. I really hope I didnt just screw myself there ..

Check the tracking when you get it and see if you can update your delivery preference. USPS is awful about following delivery instructions (they often deliver my "held" packages), but you can at least try. I'm pretty sure it's an option. Of you can call the seller, I doubt they shipped them within a few hours.

Whether or not to worry depends on your temps and what you ordered. I probably wouldn't worry about roaches or crickets in FL as much as I would hornworms or silkworms... but it all depends on temps. If in the 80s you're probably totally fine.

Besides Josh's Frogs and Rainbowmealworms, is there a place you recommend for buying feeders online? I live in Florida and dont want my feeders to arrive dead
I live in Florida and all of my bugs have been fine...I live on the East coast of central Florida and I order from Rainbowmealworms. I usually get my stuff in 2-3days.

Back
Top Bottom