Juvenile Cham closing eyes/sleeping during the day

Alyssahdz11

Hello,
I just received my 3 month old Panther Chameleon, I’ve had him for 2 days and noticed today since I’m off from work that he’s sleeping during the day. This happened twice today. Saw him eat 2 crickets this morning and drink plenty of water but still worried about the sleeping/or eyes closed during the day.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Panther Chameleon, 3 months old, 2 days in my care
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Just unboxing him
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Crickets 1/2”, I’ve seen him eat 2 crickets in the passed 2 days I’ve had him, gut-loading with calcium feed, celery, and carrots
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Repticalcium without D3 very feeding, fed in the morning. Can’t give much more since I’ve only had him 2 days
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? Hand mist 3x a day, monsoon solo spraying every 3 hours for 60 seconds, stops as 6pm. Yes, I see him drinking.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Unknown, haven’t seen any poop
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Reptibreeze 16x16x30
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? Reptisun 5.0 uvb t5 linear bulb, daylight bulb 60 watt for basking. Schedule 7-7pm
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Basking spot 82-85°, ambient temp 72-75°, overnight temp 68°
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity 40-80%, hand misting and monsoon solo, digital hygrometer
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Live Dracaena (Anita)
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Spare bedroom, 5.5’ on shelving unit
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? El Paso, TX the desert
Current Problem - Closing eyes or sleeping during day.

Attached is a pic of the enclosure

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
This is going to be a time sensitive issue for you. Husbandry checks out, can you describe your gutloading more, specifically the calcium feed?

Honestly I seriously doubt that has anything to do with it. Given you’ve only had him two days it’s going to be next to impossible for you to figure this out. I’d contact the breeder ASAP and report the health issues before the health guarantee expires. And don’t let the breeder stall and delay long enough to push you out of that window.

I’d also get him screened for parasites first thing in the morning.

Gut-loading crickets consists of Flukers High calcium cricket diet, carrots and celery.

Yes, I am contacting the breeder as we speak. Hopefully everything will be okay with the little guy Do you think it could be stress from the traveling and getting used to the environment??

Gut-loading crickets consists of Flukers High calcium cricket diet, carrots and celery.

Yes, I am contacting the breeder as we speak. Hopefully everything will be okay with the little guy Do you think it could be stress from the traveling and getting used to the environment??

I would follow Brody's advice. Sleeping during the daytime is not a stress response. Cute little cham you have.

No, not typically a stress response. Typically a sign of a health issue. I would follow the advice given.
Here is an image you can use for gutloading. It is printable as well so you can take it with you to the store. Remember your gutloading not just to feed the crickets but to pass those nutrients on to your cham so you want a diverse leafy greens gutload or you can go the commercial gutload route as well. :)

chameleon-gutload.jpg

I agree with everyone above. My sole comment , or question rather, is what exactly you mean by sleeping during the day. When basking in full sun, my veileds often squint and can appear to be sleeping. Is your Cham in a dark corner or on the floor of the cage with his eyes closed, or is he up high underneath a bright light?

“Sleeping” during the day can definitely be a stress response, it would look exactly like him sleeping but the truth is he’d actually be shutting down from stress overload. though a health issue is far more likely....

High underneath the light, he hasn’t really wandered around lower in the cage at all. Today he was awake throughout the whole day except I have the lights come on at 7am, and 8am he was still in full sleep mode. Light color and all. But after I misted he seemed to stay awake. Only thing is he’s barely eating. He ate one cricket today that I had 8 of them free roaming. :oops:

By all means, get aquatinted with your local vet; but before panicking, try different food and different delivery methods: cup feed bsfl, use tongs with a roach, use a run cup with crickets, etc. Just see what your baby likes and how it is stimulated.

Back
Top Bottom