Just worms?

i dont belive so most worms make good treats but not a staple, i know that mealworms hard shell can be a problem as well, if feed to often.

Can you feed chams just worms instead of crickets?

It totally depends on what you mean by "worms". If you mean earthworms, then no. If you mean silkworms, then yes, they can be a staple. Of course the best diet would be one that is as varied as possible. I mainly feed dubia and supers, plus silks, butters and crickets on occasion.

I wouldn't suggest that. Mealworms don't have much nutrition and their shell can be hard to digest. Waxworms are basically just fat. Superworms (NOT giant mealworms) are not bad, in my experience, but should not be the staple. I'm a bit afraid to try butterworms because they're treated with radiation to keep them from morphing. Silkworms are very healthy and a possible staple, but are rather hard to keep. Hornworms are a wonderful treat, but are mainly juice.

Basically, I think if the cham ate nothing but worms, it would be similar to a human only drinking, but never eating. I would personally suggest keeping crickets or dubias as a large part of the cham's diet.

superworms

yes, the cham in my avatar has not eaten a cricket in two years. he loves the supers. change up the gut load often.

I would not recommend it. Most worms have a very strict diet. Crickets, roaches and other such bugs are the best for staples because they gut load very well. I have never used super worms but I hear they eat a variety of gut loads too. Honestly, contrary to the popular belief, I think one would be better off feeding meal worms as a staple than silks, butters etc. Meal worms eat a good variety of gut loads. My first two panthers were raised on nothing but crickets and meal worms until around 5 months old when they were sold to me. The breeder never had any problems with impacted chams from meal worms. Variety is key but also take in to consideration which bugs you can fill up with a nutritious gut load and use those as staples. Also to remember that chameleons eat more of a chitinous diet in the wild.

Is there a bug that can't jump/crawl out of it's container I can feed? I dont want crickets/roaches/ect all over my room.

Dubia roaches can't climb smooth surfaces and are easier to keep than crickets. Even if any somehow managed to get out, they wouldn't be able to breed unless you keep your house at tropical temperatures and humidity.

Are you using a standard screen cage or are they wide mesh? Personally I am not a fan of cup feeding. Totally un-natural but there are some exceptions like worms that do not stick to the cage or branch or roaches that quickly go hide under plant pots etc.

yes, the cham in my avatar has not eaten a cricket in two years. he loves the supers. change up the gut load often.

And he is a gorgeous one at that!!! wow!!! That gives me hope cause mine loves supers, silks, horns, waxies, and has not eaten a cricket in 5 months!!I gutload my supers very well also.

Are you using a standard screen cage or are they wide mesh? Personally I am not a fan of cup feeding. Totally un-natural but there are some exceptions like worms that do not stick to the cage or branch or roaches that quickly go hide under plant pots etc.

I have a screen cage.

I use kale, collard greens, leaf lettuce, apples, carrots, green peppers, pears. I don't think they eat the green pepper too much but everything else seems to be devoured up pretty well. Kale is high in calcium I know that.

3 years old

And he is a gorgeous one at that!!! wow!!! That gives me hope cause mine loves supers, silks, horns, waxies, and has not eaten a cricket in 5 months!!I gutload my supers very well also.

he stopped eating crickets when he was around a year. he will now eat horn wax and silk worms but his fav is the super. He has never had any heath problems. there for a while he would not eat anything but supers.

Gosh sounds just like mine!!! A carbon copy! Mine seems quite healthy also, so I am just gonna keep doing what I am doing. I really have a horrible fear of roaches and do not want to keep them at all.

I have a screen cage.

Then you shouldnt be worried about the bugs escaping! Again, cup feeding is very unnatural. It may cause a chameleon to get "lazy tongue" or just lazy its self altogether. Some will just sit by that cup all day long waiting for the owner to refill it. You want your chameleon to keep guessing if there is any food left in the enclosure. This way he will be more active during the day. Hunting is also one of the coolest things to watch chameleons do!! Again, you want to feed bugs that can devour nutritious gut loads you make as staples and every thing else as "enrichment feeders".

To me it sounds as though some people have had success with this method, so it's really your choice. The most important thing is that you use some variety both in bugs and in gut load. I do agree that it's better not to cup feed if your cham is past a certain age.

They don't escape out of the cage. When I open the container they always jump out and I can never catch them.

Well I got yes and no so im confused now lol.:confused:

LOL! I see now! I use a large plastic bin for my crickets. Its tall enough they cant jump out. I just stick a cup down in a snag some or hit the egg crate on top of the cup dumping them in. Dust them in the cup and toss in the cage.

I say no to feeders like wax, silk, butter and other soft body worms. I have never used super worms but others do and say they can gut load well. My concern would be with the gut loading. You want bugs that will devour a well balanced gut load of veggies and fruits. As was said, dubia roaches cant climb smooth surfaces and they devour gut loads. These would be a good alternative to crickets.

LOL! I see now! I use a large plastic bin for my crickets. Its tall enough they cant jump out. I just stick a cup down in a snag some or hit the egg crate on top of the cup dumping them in. Dust them in the cup and toss in the cage.

I say no to feeders like wax, silk, butter and other soft body worms. I have never used super worms but others do and say they can gut load well. My concern would be with the gut loading. You want bugs that will devour a well balanced gut load of veggies and fruits. As was said, dubia roaches cant climb smooth surfaces and they devour gut loads. These would be a good alternative to crickets.

What do you use besides soft bodied worms?

Back
Top Bottom