Just worms?

there is a unit out there called a cricket keeper. its a small plastic aruarium thing mith tubes that go down in through the lid, the crickets crawl into the tubes then i just open the lid to my dusting container open enough to fit the tube in and shake out afew crickets works great!!!

What do you use besides soft bodied worms?

I dont use any type of worms. My animals do not go for worms at all. They will only eat fast moving type insects. In the winter I feed three bugs. Crickets, flies and spiders that are lurking around the house. Usually I will toss a cricket or fly in the spider web a few days before I feed it off. In the summer time I also add many species of spiders caught from outdoors, lots of different types of hoppers, moths, safe butterflies, and house/blue bottle flies. Crickets will always be my favorite commercially available feeder because of how well they gut load. I do not have problems with them stinking either as long as they are kept up with.

Edit: The cricket virus does not affect me either since the largest I feed are half inch. The virus affects crickets in their adult cycles.

there is a unit out there called a cricket keeper. its a small plastic aruarium thing mith tubes that go down in through the lid, the crickets crawl into the tubes then i just open the lid to my dusting container open enough to fit the tube in and shake out afew crickets works great!!!

These work very well!!! I used one until my collection got big and have to buy anywhere from 1 to 3 thousand crickets depending on if there are babies around and my collection number is ever changing.

I have seen those but got one of the ones without the tubes (stupid thing to do obviously).

My parents won't let me get roaches and they creep me out more than the crickets.

I dont use any type of worms. My animals do not go for worms at all. They will only eat fast moving type insects. In the winter I feed three bugs. Crickets, flies and spiders that are lurking around the house. Usually I will toss a cricket or fly in the spider web a few days before I feed it off. In the summer time I also add many species of spiders caught from outdoors, lots of different types of hoppers, moths, safe butterflies, and house/blue bottle flies. Crickets will always be my favorite commercially available feeder because of how well they gut load. I do not have problems with them stinking either as long as they are kept up with.

Edit: The cricket virus does not affect me either since the largest I feed are half inch. The virus affects crickets in their adult cycles.

Why do you toss them in a spider web? What would be the purpose:confused:

Why do you toss them in a spider web? What would be the purpose:confused:

Gutload the spider.

Jared, how did you find out if the species was safe or not? I am thinking about trying to catch and breed grasshoppers over the summer, just to have something else, but wanted to have something I would be breeding. Roaches won't do it, they are too gross for me lol.

LPR08

I have seen those but got one of the ones without the tubes (stupid thing to do obviously).

My parents won't let me get roaches and they creep me out more than the crickets.

i dont like roaches either and didnt like crickets at first either, but with the catcher and some pracctise they are a breeze now. how are you dusting your crickets? what kind of container? a small clear plastic bowl with a lid is what i find is the easiest.

Gutload the spider.

Jared, how did you find out if the species was safe or not? I am thinking about trying to catch and breed grasshoppers over the summer, just to have something else, but wanted to have something I would be breeding. Roaches won't do it, they are too gross for me lol.

LPR08

Species of what? I have one rule with spiders. No black widows or brown recluses. The main ones I feed are orb weavers, jumping, wolf, and crab spiders. Orbs and crabs have many species. Moths are all safe to feed. Butterflies I use are cabbage and skipper butterflies. I use all species of hoppers which include cicadas and katydids. I dont use lubbers which are toxic. If I find something I dont know what it is I ask Danny:D That or type in something like, grasshoppers native to west virginia. ID the bug then wiki it to find out what they say.

i dont like roaches either and didnt like crickets at first either, but with the catcher and some pracctise they are a breeze now. how are you dusting your crickets? what kind of container? a small clear plastic bowl with a lid is what i find is the easiest.

I dont have calcium without D3 yet (just got cham 4 hours ago) but am going to petsmart tomorrow to get that and the cricket keeper. I will probably use the small plastic container my cham was shipped in to dust them lightly. Do you dust all the crickets? just a couple? both feedings or once? I hope it gets easier to catch them and have less escape.

dust all the crickets. If you cannot find the calcium without the d3 you can get it on line at LLL Reptile.

Back
Top Bottom