Just wanted to say hello.

Musashi Sushi

Been lurking for a while now, reading what I can and trying to learn from past mistakes, but recently decided to step into the fray. I've bred Ball Pythons in the past and had over 24 snakes at any given time, I've also had Crested Geckos, 2 Russian tortoise's, and quite a few dart frogs. This time I wanted to start out slowly to make sure my enclosure was set up and my husbandry on track before picking up a Chameleon. At the end of last month I picked up a 36x36x18 enclosure with a deep bottom to set up a vivarium. I have a few plants and jungle branches set up and I have a dual nozzle Mistking system and a UVB light bar and basking bulb. I've been monitoring my temps and humidity with a SensorPush HT.w thermometer/hygrometer which is pretty cool. I should be well within the range for temps as my daily average is 71 degrees with the highest ambient temp recorded being 80 degrees and the lowest 64. Of course the basking spot can provide him additional warmth if needed, temps directly under the basking bulb is in the high 90's so I'm thinking that may be too hot and I may need to raise the bulb up a bit or go with a 25w bulb instead of the 50w. My average humidity is 66%, with a low of 41% and a high of 97% over the last 3 weeks. I'm not going to pick my guy up until the 28th or 29th so I have a little more time to get things corrected.

As for questions I have:
Do my humidity and temp levels seem ok? I live at 7000k feet above sea level in Colorado so the air is quite dry here.
Is there anything I have likely overlooked? I am going Bioactive and I have Isopods roaming around but I don't see them too often, should I see them more?

The guy I'm getting is an F1 Ambilobe

Appreciate any suggestions and I welcome all comments.

Cheers, Jeff

Attachments

• Cham Viv 3.jpg
    Cham Viv 3.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 68
Hi and welcome,
You´re starting off really good, especially setting up the husbandry spot on before getting the cham. You can raise the heat light from the enclosure to drop the basking temp. And regarding the glass enclosure I would add the following https://www.amazon.com/Hffheer-Aqua...wicXNhIjoiNC4zMSIsInFzcCI6IjQuMDcifQ==&sr=8-7 and then let it blow in at one side of the enclosure (i.e. right top side) and let one extract the air, by turning it around 180° (i.e. left top side) this will create a good airflow which is always the problem with glass enclosures and chameleon (not enough airflow/ventilation). This is how did it, but I added two below for blowing in and one on the top.

sde (2).jpg

Welcome to the forums. I keep panthers along with a couple of chameleon species but I’ve never used glass. I can tell you that the 90’s is to hot for a basking spot. My basking area for my adult panthers is around 87 to 88. I’ll attach my blog for new keepers and the forums care sheet. Hopefully, a member that uses glass will see this and give you more info.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-with-young-veiled-or-panther-chameleons.325/
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/
I will work on getting the basking temps down. Thanks for the feedback!

Hi and welcome,
You´re starting off really good, especially setting up the husbandry spot on before getting the cham. You can raise the heat light from the enclosure to drop the basking temp. And regarding the glass enclosure I would add the following https://www.amazon.com/Hffheer-Aquarium-Dissipation-Temperature-Terrarium/dp/B07WK3MK2W/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=terrarium+fan&qid=1666160825&qu=eyJxc2MiOiI1LjA1IiwicXNhIjoiNC4zMSIsInFzcCI6IjQuMDcifQ==&sr=8-7 and then let it blow in at one side of the enclosure (i.e. right top side) and let one extract the air, by turning it around 180° (i.e. left top side) this will create a good airflow which is always the problem with glass enclosures and chameleon (not enough airflow/ventilation). This is how did it, but I added two below for blowing in and one on the top.

View attachment 330422
Thanks for the suggestions, I have a few ideas on the basking temps and I'll get that sorted out before I pick him up at months end. I'll also figure out some airflow ideas but there is a ceiling fan really close to the top of the enclosure but if that isn't enough I could also place a couple of 120mm PC fans on the top screens, one blowing out and one blowing in.

Welcome to the forum. I agree with adding PC fans. I have this on my hybrid enclosure and it helps quite a bit. You want them pulling air up and out of the enclosure though not blowing into it.

How old is the baby your getting? Max basking I would recommend for an adult male is 85. Babies depending on age your looking at 78-80 max.

Welcome to the forum. I agree with adding PC fans. I have this on my hybrid enclosure and it helps quite a bit. You want them pulling air up and out of the enclosure though not blowing into it.

How old is the baby your getting? Max basking I would recommend for an adult male is 85. Babies depending on age your looking at 78-80 max.
He will be 6 months in about 2 weeks.

You want them pulling air up and out of the enclosure though not blowing into it.
True with a normal/hybrid enclosure, they got a big air vent above floor level. However these glass enclosures don´t have a good ventilate down below and soil level is a few inches below vent level. Personally, I would do a 2:1 ratio sucking air out and blowing air in, to create an air circulation within the enclosure. Yet, only sucking air out is still good enough and always better then nothing.

True with a normal/hybrid enclosure, they got a big air vent above floor level. However these glass enclosures don´t have a good ventilate down below and soil level is a few inches below vent level. Personally, I would do a 2:1 ratio sucking air out and blowing air in, to create an air circulation within the enclosure. Yet, only sucking air out is still good enough and always better then nothing.
Very good to know. I have always been told up and out with the exoterra glass enclosures as well.

Back
Top Bottom