Just want to make sure these plants are safe!

Hi guys, happy Monday! Just wanted to make sure these plants were safe. I know rubber plants are not safe generally because of the sap it exudes, but I got it with the hopes that I could use it as a free range option for my guy. I got these plants at a buy one get one sale at a local nursery. I wanted to confirm that the other plant I got, although leggy and not really suitable for the weight of my cham as of now, is ficus benjamina.

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• FullSizeRender-1.jpg
    FullSizeRender-1.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_4845.JPG
    IMG_4845.JPG
    133.1 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_4846.JPG
    IMG_4846.JPG
    175.3 KB · Views: 122
The first two are schefflera and the third is a ficus. Both are great plants for your cham!

Actually, that type of Schefflera is toxic. @ChameLIonLover Is this for a veiled? If so I would not use it. If you're using it for a melleri or parsonii, I could understand it because they are not as big of plant eaters as veileds.

Chase

Chase said:
Actually, that type of Schefflera is toxic. @ChameLIonLover Is this for a veiled? If so I would not use it. If you're using it for a melleri or parsonii, I could understand it because they are not as big of plant eaters as veileds.

That's good to know. This is Schefflera amate correct? I knew that it was toxic to mammals, but I have never heard of it being toxic to chameleons. Are you meaning "toxic" in the sense that the plant simply contains "toxins"? Technically, Shefflera arboricola is considered toxic as well, but it is probably one the most commonly used plants in chameleon husbandry. I completely understand your thought behind mentioning this when using with a veiled chameleon, but I guess my question is, are the toxins in amate strong enough to consider this plant unsafe even with other species? I use some of these in my outdoor enclosures during the warmer months, so I would sincerely appreciate the information

Last edited:
That's good to know. This is Schefflera amate correct? I knew that it was toxic to mammals, but I have never heard of it being toxic to chameleons. Are you meaning "toxic" in the sense that the plant simply contains "toxins"? Technically, Shefflera arboricola is considered toxic as well, but it is probably one the most commonly used plants in chameleon husbandry. I completely understand your thought behind mentioning this when using with a veiled chameleon, but I guess my question is, are the toxins in amate strong enough to consider this plant unsafe even with other species? I use some of these in my outdoor enclosures during the warmer months, so I would sincerely appreciate the information
If you've been using them with no ill effects, I don't see why it would be a problem.

Chase, I have one Panther cham. I've never seen him try to eat a leaf. He used to nibble on branches though.

Thanks for the replies and expertise in the matter!

I would personally stay away from that specific specs of shefflera!

Understood. If I don't hear from anybody else that they have used this same or similar species of schefflera/rubber plant with success and without health problems to thei chams, I will stray away from it.

Just curious, what would one do in the event that their cham reacted badly to the sap or any other part of the plant? What would a vet generally do to fix the possible adverse effects? I'm not sure what these effects would be but I'm just curious because I did have my guy on the schefflera for about 15 minutes earlier today :/ didn't learn that it was possibly toxic, but i got him off of it safely asap.

I used to use amate with my parsonii before I knew it was toxic, I had a female that would eat the leaves all the time and didn't seem to suffer any ill effects (actually the parsonii in my avatar is perched on a schefflera amate:D)
I would still use it today without any worry if they didn't succumb to brown scale infestations where I live.
I think the plant toxicity danger is overblown with chameleons, I'm not aware of any acute poisonings or deaths from ingesting toxic houseplants..if someone knows of any documented cases I would like to read about it. I have heard of eye irritation from ficus sap, but again that seemed to be more of a superficial annoyance than anything. I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it.

Back
Top Bottom