Just starting out and need some advice

Cibarra982

So here is what I got so far after a weeks worth of research.

I wanted to get a exo-terra terrarium, however I was told that having a glass terrarium for Chameleons was not a good idea. Any comments on this? If that is the case and I get a ReptiBreeze 24x24x48 and I use a fogger and a mist system, how does the cage maintain humidity if it is a mesh cage? Also how do I stop water getting all over the place from using something like the Habba Mist system? Has anyone used this yet or over came this issue? Also my last question is, what is the best way to clean the cage and what kind of substrate should I use? This cage will by in my family room so the idea is to make it ascetically pleasing and tropical as possible, however I am away that comes second to the animals well being :D. Anyone have any suggestions or even pics and vids of there set up so I may get some ideas?

Thank you and I am really excited to be apart of this community.

Glass is only recommended for babies and pygmies. Screen cages will maintain humidity for sure. Do not use substrate, it is not necessary. Your chameleon can ingest it, and it is a breeding ground for fungus. Any member on this board will agree.
What sort of chameleon are you getting? Since you are a new owner I would probably reccomend a male veiled, they are by far the easiest to take care of.

First of all, welcome to the forums and the wonderful world of chameleon ownership! ok, a couple of things. You are making a wise choice in getting the reptibreeze. What state do you live in? If it is in the colder states, then yes the humidity is harder to keep. Live plants and running a dripper can help some. Some people cover a couple of sides with saran or plastic. Not going to be to pleasing to look at obviously but spring is around the corner!!!! No on the substrate. Breeding grounds for bacteria and mold and places for feeders to hide. Just leave it bare.

What kind of species of chameleon are you getting? It really depends. There have been a lot of chameleon keepers who have kept their babies in glass enclosures successfully. A lot of the more expert keepers say that a glass terrarium is okay for montane species such as Jacksons. However, if you're planning on getting a Veild or Panther, a screen enclosure is best. Just don't get an aquarium because from what I have gathered: the main difference between an aquarium and a terrarium is that terrariums have air flow while aquariums are seal tight and made for water.

The ReptiBreeze would be suitable, again depends on the species. If you're going w/ pygmies, don't even think about it. I have owned both Veilds and Panthers and when I was a younger hobbyist, I used to keep my Veilds in glass enclosures. I found that these species do better in screen enclosures. I have never used a fogger in screen enclosures and don't even now if it is needed. Maybe someone else can provide an input? I do know that many people are not satisfied w/ a Habba Mist and consider them to be useless. If you do get an screen enclosure, I recommend using both fake and real plants. The real plants will help w/ your humidity a lot. I personally use a Mistking, Dripper system and hand-spray once a day. Between those three methods, I can keep my humidity up pretty well. The lowest it gets to is 30% and the highest 90% humidity.

And don't even think about using substrate. Members in this forum will come knocking on your door with guns and pitchforks. SUbstrate if accidently swallowed by your cham can cause an impaction. I personally leave my bottom bare which makes it very easy to clean.

I have attached pictures of my set up though it is not the best one on this site. I have seen many member's set ups and was very impressed. However, by viewing mines, it can give you an idea of how things should look. I have fake plants and two real plants in each of my enclosures, along w/ branches @ different levels so that your cham may thermoregulate. You can add more foliage to yours to give your cham more hiding places so that they may feel safe and secure. If you look @ mines, there are plenty of opportunities where I can provide more foliage.

And welcome to the community. A lot on here has helped me w/ my questions as well and therefor, I feel that I could give back. I hope this helped you a little. Goodluck and do let us know what you decide to do.

Attachments

• P1010063.jpg
    P1010063.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 107
  • P1010064.jpg
    P1010064.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 143
What kind of species of chameleon are you getting? It really depends. There have been a lot of chameleon keepers who have kept their babies in glass enclosures successfully. A lot of the more expert keepers say that a glass terrarium is okay for montane species such as Jacksons. However, if you're planning on getting a Veild or Panther, a screen enclosure is best. Just don't get an aquarium because from what I have gathered: the main difference between an aquarium and a terrarium is that terrariums have air flow while aquariums are seal tight and made for water.

The ReptiBreeze would be suitable, again depends on the species. If you're going w/ pygmies, don't even think about it. I have owned both Veilds and Panthers and when I was a younger hobbyist, I used to keep my Veilds in glass enclosures. I found that these species do better in screen enclosures. I have never used a fogger in screen enclosures and don't even now if it is needed. Maybe someone else can provide an input? I do know that many people are not satisfied w/ a Habba Mist and consider them to be useless. If you do get an screen enclosure, I recommend using both fake and real plants. The real plants will help w/ your humidity a lot. I personally use a Mistking, Dripper system and hand-spray once a day. Between those three methods, I can keep my humidity up pretty well. The lowest it gets to is 30% and the highest 90% humidity.

And don't even think about using substrate. Members in this forum will come knocking on your door with guns and pitchforks. SUbstrate if accidently swallowed by your cham can cause an impaction. I personally leave my bottom bare which makes it very easy to clean.

I have attached pictures of my set up though it is not the best one on this site. I have seen many member's set ups and was very impressed. However, by viewing mines, it can give you an idea of how things should look. I have fake plants and two real plants in each of my enclosures, along w/ branches @ different levels so that your cham may thermoregulate. You can add more foliage to yours to give your cham more hiding places so that they may feel safe and secure. If you look @ mines, there are plenty of opportunities where I can provide more foliage.

And welcome to the community. A lot on here has helped me w/ my questions as well and therefor, I feel that I could give back. I hope this helped you a little. Goodluck and do let us know what you decide to do.

OMG I just about spit my water I was drinking out from laughing! Guns and Pitchforks! Seriously!!! LOL!!!! Too funny!!!!

Thank you

I live in California. The type of Chameleon that I will be getting is a veiled. LOL substrate is officially out of my pick up list....lol. How about the misting system? I have been looking now at the mist king system, just worried about it getting all over the floor. Thank you all for the fast replys. Have a great night.

Not really sure how to solve the drainage issue. If you are misting then some of the water can be directed into the plant pots, but other than that I just use paper towels and let evaporation do the rest.

I'm currently using a habba mist for my baby panther, and not having problems with spillages - the spray is fairly weak, and by directing it at teh bushiest part of my ficus that stops it spraying every where.

At the moment it is in an exo while Felix is still a baby, and the water only barely pools on the floor when wet to the 30 seconds mist setting. I have kitchen towl on the bottom of the viv which soaks a bit up, but it's dry again within half an hour or so.

Unfortunately with a lot of these things it's trial and error, so try to set yur viv up for a few days somewhere it wont hurt if it leaks a bit and see how it goes.

An option I've seen used quite a lot is to drill a hole in the bottom of the iv with a tray under to collect water

HTH

Thank u all

Wow, this has to be the most helpful forum I have been a part of. Thank you everyone for the great info. I will post back if I have any other questions or just to show you guys what my new addition to the family looks like. Again thank all of you.

Quoting Balmybaldwin: "An option I've seen used quite a lot is to drill a hole in the bottom of the iv with a tray under to collect water"

Thats what I do. It's not the best and most organized system. But it works for me.

what size is that viv jeeleon?

Back
Top Bottom