Just realized I can raise silkworms...

thePopeJP

I have been wondering how I could raise silkworms, not having access to mulberry leaves and not really wanting to buy the chow.

But then I realized... I HAVE A GIANT MULBERRY TREE IN MY YARD. Wow... I feel dumb. :confused:

I didn't think about it, because we've always called them HORSE berries growing up, it's a common name for them here in Ohio because they're so big. I used to climb onto my roof and reach up and pick handfuls of them and eat them. And yeah, they're slightly bitter, but very sweet as well!

well youre a lucky guy now aint ya?

ever see people use the big mesh sacks and tie em off on the branches so they can let the worms grow outdoors?

yeah i need me one of those trees...

I would try that... but with the temperatures we get here it'd have to be pretty season specific. And I'm not too sure how my neighbors would feel :)

You lucky chap!!:)
I'll order my mulberry tree later on in March as they don't have any leaves yet..
Has to be white or black mulberry or it doesn't really matter? Will the silkworms eat both? Thanks

Forget you neighbors! The only drawback would be escapees but your OH winters might take care of that. I'm not certain, do some research first.

I have been wondering how I could raise silkworms, not having access to mulberry leaves and not really wanting to buy the chow.

But then I realized... I HAVE A GIANT MULBERRY TREE IN MY YARD. Wow... I feel dumb. :confused:

I didn't think about it, because we've always called them HORSE berries growing up, it's a common name for them here in Ohio because they're so big. I used to climb onto my roof and reach up and pick handfuls of them and eat them. And yeah, they're slightly bitter, but very sweet as well!

Man, I have tons of mullberry trees. They are native to ohio and easy to locate. If you neighbor gets mad, come over and collect a bag full.

Man, I have tons of mullberry trees. They are native to ohio and easy to locate. If you neighbor gets mad, come over and collect a bag full.

A bag full of Dinofuel? FREE?! Thanks! Haha.

I'm assuming you mean the leaves? Do you raise silkworms?

Back
Top Bottom