Just making sure, please comment...

OK, so as I posted earlier, last week I came into a pair of Veiled Chameleons about 6 months old. Very healthy and female had laid her first clutch of eggs. I assumed I needed to separate them ASAP. A member here confirmed my thoughts.

So here’s my dilemma... my local reptile store guy is ABSOLUTELY insisting that they can stay in the same cage, especially since I just bought a 2x2x48. He says that he’s done this and that because they have been raised together since babies, I could stress them out if I separate them. When I commented about this site he stated that “anyone can post on those sites. If you really want the truth, ask a breeder”. So, to all you breeders out there, please let me know if you have ever had success keeping a pair of Veileds in the same cage. Thank you!

So here’s my dilemma... my local reptile store guy is ABSOLUTELY insisting that they can stay in the same cage, especially since I just bought a 2x2x48. He says that he’s done this and that because they have been raised together since babies, I could stress them out if I separate them. When I commented about this site he stated that “anyone can post on those sites. If you really want the truth, ask a breeder”. So, to all you breeders out there, please let me know if you have ever had success keeping a pair of Veileds in the same cage. Thank you!
Just like how anyone can post here, anyone can work at a pet store and spew wrong info. The difference here is we have moderators and experienced keepers, as well.

I had this exact situation, but a tad younger. My male didn't begin to thrive until they were separated.

Just don't tell him what you plan to do, if it keeps the heat off you.

Perfect! Thank you all! I will separate them right away! Fortunately, I have an extra cage. I was sure this needed to be done, but he was so convincing that I thought maybe I had missed something.

As far as the eggs go, They were 3 weeks old when I got them and none were fertile, which worked for me, as I’m not interested in breeding. I think I will post here and see if anyone local would like her for free... One is enough for me! LOL! Thanks again!

Perfect! Thank you all! I will separate them right away! Fortunately, I have an extra cage. I was sure this needed to be done, but he was so convincing that I thought maybe I had missed something.

As far as the eggs go, They were 3 weeks old when I got them and none were fertile, which worked for me, as I’m not interested in breeding. I think I will post here and see if anyone local would like her for free... One is enough for me! LOL! Thanks again!

Nice thought. Lots of people will show up for a free anything. Try to check them out to make sure they aren't just going to sell her off again. That's a lot of stress for her.

Also, make sure you have a care sheet printed up and you explain how involved care is. I know you wouldn't want her to be uncared for.

Just because some people occasionally get away with keeping them together, doesn't mean it's a good idea. The female will almost certainly be stressed. Maybe to a point where she will not bask because he is basking or drink because she sees him and is stressed. She may not eat because she is worried because she is in his territory and just wants to leave but can't.

Back
Top Bottom