Just Joined The Mistking club

Any suggestions on misting times, or how often? I've be spraying 2 to 3 times a day (3 when I'm home). Should I just kinda emulate what I was doing, and just watch the humidity levels?

Any suggestions on misting times, or how often? I've be spraying 2 to 3 times a day (3 when I'm home). Should I just kinda emulate what I was doing, and just watch the humidity levels?
Honestly you have to set it up to your area and natural humidity levels then adjust from there. You will find most of us have it set up this way. There is not a 1 size fits all with misting/hydration.

For example. I have very high natural humidity where I live. So I mist for 1 minute an hour before lights go on then for 2 and a half minutes at 4:30pm when his heat lamp kicks off and the cage is cooler, then I mist for 1 minute at 10pm. I have a fogger that runs from 1am-5am and then I run a little dripper non stop at a slow drip.

I have to run a dehumidifier in my house or I have a constant 70% humidity level with an 80% level in his enclosure which is much too high for the day time when you are adding in heat. Now it runs about 45% in the cage. I have my higher humidity in the 70-80s at night when it is cool.

Chameleon breeder podcast on natural hydration is how I model mine.

Honestly you have to set it up to your area and natural humidity levels then adjust from there. You will find most of us have it set up this way. There is not a 1 size fits all with misting/hydration.

For example. I have very high natural humidity where I live. So I mist for 1 minute an hour before lights go on then for 2 and a half minutes at 4:30pm when his heat lamp kicks off and the cage is cooler, then I mist for 1 minute at 10pm. I have a fogger that runs from 1am-5am and then I run a little dripper non stop at a slow drip.

I have to run a dehumidifier in my house or I have a constant 70% humidity level with an 80% level in his enclosure which is much too high for the day time when you are adding in heat. Now it runs about 45% in the cage. I have my higher humidity in the 70-80s at night when it is cool.

Chameleon breeder podcast on natural hydration is how I model mine.
Someone loves chameleon breeder podcast lol

I don't watch podcasts, just noticed my animals do better the closer I mimic their natural environment. I have a Panther for example, and my MistKing is setup to go off hourly but only for 5 minutes at a time usually, I live in a very arid environment this leads to an average humidity in my chameleon's enclosure of 60% spiking to 90% during the longest session. But panthers come from Madagascar, which is very humid and, if I remember correctly, has a high rainfall per year. I've had a few issues prior to my MistKing, but since, I've had none.

I don't watch podcasts, just noticed my animals do better the closer I mimic their natural environment. I have a Panther for example, and my MistKing is setup to go off hourly but only for 5 minutes at a time usually, I live in a very arid environment this leads to an average humidity in my chameleon's enclosure of 60% spiking to 90% during the longest session. But panthers come from Madagascar, which is very humid and, if I remember correctly, has a high rainfall per year. I've had a few issues prior to my MistKing, but since, I've had none.
Not all locales are the same. Check out this website for more in depth locale care. https://www.madcham.de/en/category/chamaeleons-habitatsdaten/lokalformen-von-furcifer-pardalis/

See with where I live, it works well with the way I have it year round, and the weather patterns where I live make keeping any larger tropical species of reptiles a bit of a hassle. Live in Calgary, Alberta, literally got snow two days ago.
What I'm trying to say here is an Ambanja Panther doesn't get the same rainfall or temps as say an East Coast panther like a Tamatave. So if you're saying you're mimicing natural environment of Madagascar exactly what environment are you mimicing?

Mine is setup for an ambilobe, which do experience a dry and wet season, however, where I live, the natural humidity fluctuates like it does in their natural habitat, and because it's a drier climate overall, like his cage just had a 5 minute spray session and the humidity is holding at 70% but in about ten minutes it'll be back around 60%.

Also one does not watch a podcast. One listens to a podcast. So are you saying you know everything there is to know about Panther chameleons that you don't need to learn anything new to try and better yourself or your Chameleons life? Because that kind of comes off immature.

Mine is setup for an ambilobe, which do experience a dry and wet season, however, where I live, the natural humidity fluctuates like it does in their natural habitat, and because it's a drier climate overall, like his cage just had a 5 minute spray session and the humidity is holding at 70% but in about ten minutes it'll be back around 60%.
5min mistings every hour is quite excessive for an Ambilobe, but to each there own. As long as you have the drainage means to incorporate it.

No, I definitely don't, but I'm a scientist by nature, a Geologist to be precise, so environmental stuff is right up my alley believe it or not, so I've researched into the environment my Panther lives in. I do want to upgrade my Cham's enclosure, like simulated sunrises and sunsets, and get more vegetation in there as well as a rain Nozzle so I can simulate an actual rainstorm. But unfortunately my funds are limited and tropical plants aren't cheap here. I know I don't know everything but logic dictates that to best care for an animal, place them in their ideal natural environment or as close as you can get to it.

Back
Top Bottom