Just found out I have a female..I'm nervous!

NiniMarie

I'm a 1st time Cham owner and to top it all off she is a female! I want to make sure she is healthy and safe. I can't seem to find a forum that shows me how to tell the difference between when she is ready to lay eggs or not!? She used to hang out at the bottom of the cage a few weeks ago and would have dirt on her nose, legs and tail. Now that I'm reading more, I'm scared she could have been looking for a laying bin!? How can I tell if she is pregnant and/or if she is "egg binding?"

Any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

Yup, sounds like she's ready to lay...

You need to follow these instructions asap then leave her be til she's finished laying:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5usyXP_u4Zc

I've recommend this link a few times and the people have had great success with it.

Since she did take a fall, I'd be highly concerned...Hopefully she doesn't have any problems, but keep us updated!!! If she doesn't lay and still stays asleep during the day, i'd take her to a knowledgeable herp vet in your area.

-Gabe

*Also you can tell that your veiled is male / female by looking at their back feet. Males normally have a little nub looking thing between their feet.

Image:

http://www.veiled-chameleon.com/images/male.gif

Welcome to the forums and congrats on your first Cham. The girls are really sweet and very rewarding to keep. First how old is she? Can you post some pictures of her? I'm attaching a couple of blogs for you below so you can research the females.

General Care Blog and be sure to read the link to Lynda Horgan's Blog.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-keepers-young-veiled-panther-chameleons.html

Egg Laying and The Laying Bin
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/jannb/345-egg-laying-laying-bin.html#comment1859

Video By Dex on how to set up a laying bin.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/laying-bin-set-up-educational-video-77225/

image.jpg

I hope this works...still figuring out how to use this website :eek:

New setup

I'm sorry in advance, I know it's still pretty naked but I'm working on it and will add more leaves for her. Maybe I could fit a laying bin in here for her?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 164
In that second picture she looks like she has eggs. Get a laying bin in for her right way and I recommend keeping one in at all times.

I see you're in Miami, so am I. I'm more than happy to help you out if you need anything. I have more pet females than males right now! :)

You've been given excellent links.

I just wanted to show you what a female's cage should look like, especially with a laying bin as a permanent landmark. Here are two cages (both 4' x 2' x 2', so large) with a female panther on one side and a carpet on the other. They had branches (cut from outside), some inexpensive live plants (you can find a pothos for under $10 anywhere, almost), and their laying bins.

ie62.jpg

Since I have small females I use plant pots but for a veiled you will probably need to use something bigger, perhaps a 5 gallon bucket.

She may still need to lay and is just holding onto the eggs. I'd get a bin in there immediately, first thing tomorrow morning. Provide her with the bin and then give her privacy, and hopefully she'll unload those eggs if she's been holding onto them for a while.

If she looks like she had eggs a couple weeks ago she probably most def needs a laying bin as fast as possible by now I think is what she was trying to say. Those eggs arent going anywhere most likely without a proper setup. Without one your chameleon could be headed to very dangerous waters possibly death. I dont want to scare you but since you where misinformed in the beginning, that leaves you with less time to get it right now the eggs are here. It looks like nature was telling her she needed the eggs out and that was a few weeks ago. She would have done it then but she didnt have the right place to do it, so she is now holding on to them.

Hi ladies. Thank you for the pics. Here is a pic of the laying bin I added today.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 130
I see you're in Miami, so am I. I'm more than happy to help you out if you need anything. I have more pet females than males right now! :)

You've been given excellent links.

I just wanted to show you what a female's cage should look like, especially with a laying bin as a permanent landmark. Here are two cages (both 4' x 2' x 2', so large) with a female panther on one side and a carpet on the other. They had branches (cut from outside), some inexpensive live plants (you can find a pothos for under $10 anywhere, almost), and their laying bins.

Since I have small females I use plant pots but for a veiled you will probably need to use something bigger, perhaps a 5 gallon bucket.

She may still need to lay and is just holding onto the eggs. I'd get a bin in there immediately, first thing tomorrow morning. Provide her with the bin and then give her privacy, and hopefully she'll unload those eggs if she's been holding onto them for a while.

You have a gorgeous set up. Mine feels a little empty still. What kind of plants are good to use? I know some could be harmful. Also, can I still give her crickets and turn her light on and off while she's laying? Can she be in the dark at night?

If she looks like she had eggs a couple weeks ago she probably most def needs a laying bin as fast as possible by now I think is what she was trying to say. Those eggs arent going anywhere most likely without a proper setup. Without one your chameleon could be headed to very dangerous waters possibly death. I dont want to scare you but since you where misinformed in the beginning, that leaves you with less time to get it right now the eggs are here. It looks like nature was telling her she needed the eggs out and that was a few weeks ago. She would have done it then but she didnt have the right place to do it, so she is now holding on to them.

My poor baby, I can't believe I didn't know. I'm patiently waiting and watching her as she slowly makes her way down to the bin. I hope this works. How often does this happen and when will I know she needs to lay again?

My poor baby, I can't believe I didn't know. I'm patiently waiting and watching her as she slowly makes her way down to the bin. I hope this works. How often does this happen and when will I know she needs to lay again?

Don't watch her. You need to cover her cage with a sheet. She needs complete privacy to lay those eggs.

Totally leave her alone. If you can turn the lights on and off without her seeing you that would be ok but if she sees you she might not do her job and become egg bound and die.

Back
Top Bottom