Just Curious do bigger spaces make them more friendly?

Pearl Fields

Avid Member
So we recently, like 2 weeks ago, moved my 10ish month old veiled, Stormy, into a 4 by 2 by 4 foot enclosure. Before this he was in the standard 2 by 2 by 4. But anyways, today he came onto my hand, twice, for food. I just figured, might as well try to get him on my hand one more time, as i had given up on this like 5 months ago. And to my surprise, he crawled right on my hand!!! So. I haven't been working with him at all for the past 5 months, and when i was working with him like 6 months ago, he would always seem to be considering getting on my hand, but ultimately decide not to and walk away. Why the sudden change? I know that people have observed them to be more friendly when they are in a free range setup, and though i know he is not in a free range, could he have become less defensive in the twice as big higher up cage? Or is it possible he just has become more used to me. I dont know i just find it interesting how with a month of working with him before, he would never come on my hand, and with over 5 months of literally not working with him at all... he crawls all the way on my hand? Anyways any answer are appreciated.

could he have become less defensive in the twice as big higher up cage? Or is it possible he just has become more used to me. I dont know i just find it interesting how with a month of working with him before, he would never come on my hand, and with over 5 months of literally not working with him at all... he crawls all the way on my hand? Anyways any answer are appreciated.
Either of those is possible. It's also possible that he's just matured into a different phase—like any growing creature does.

Enjoy it! Some never get that far. :)

You have been working with him and did not know it. You were a food provider and never a threat. I have found once they get to this point and are properly fed, always eager to eat. They can be coaxed closer much easier. But not all are that willing. But he will likely get even better.

Congrats on the milestone!! 🥰🥰
thanks!! never thought he would get this far. And @CasqueAbove that makes sense.

So say if he were to get better, and i were to try to bring him outside or something later on. Could he get freaked out and could that put us back to square one? Or would he learn to trust me even more. I don't want to break what we have now seeing as it took so long to even get this far.

thanks!! never thought he would get this far. And @CasqueAbove that makes sense.

So say if he were to get better, and i were to try to bring him outside or something later on. Could he get freaked out and could that put us back to square one? Or would he learn to trust me even more. I don't want to break what we have now seeing as it took so long to even get this far.

I can't say what he will do. But mine have not regressed. My male particularly gets picked right up and put into bushes in the summer. He gets handled more so he can easily now be passed around and people can hold him.

Taking him outside may make him act more defensive because you're taking him out of his territory (cage) and he might feel he has to watch for predators/competition/territory's real owner but he should get used to it once he feels he's made it part of his own territory.

Back
Top Bottom