Just bought an adult veiled chameleon

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - veiled, male I believe, today would be 3rd day.
Handling - only handling was putting in him in his cage.
Feeding - first day I fed him horn worms and the second day I fed him about 6 crickets no gut loading first day was in the afternoon and second day was at night big mistake from what I've found out.
FEEDING THE INSECTS WELL AND GUTLOADING THEM IS IMPORTANT. HEALTHY INSECTSWILL HELP THE CHAMELEON BE HEALTHY.
Supplements - no supplements. Any recommendations?
YOU NEED A PHOS FREE CALCIUM POWDER TO DUST ON THE INSECTS AT SLL FEEDINGS BUT ONE A WEEK. ON THAT ONE YOU SHOULD ALTERNATE BETWEEN A PHOS FREE CALCIUM/D3 POWDERAND A VITAMIN POWDER WITH A PREFORMED SOURCE OF VITAMIN A AND NO D3 IN IT. ALL DUSTINGS SHOULD BE DONE LIGHTLY.
Watering - Was misting for 15secs every 3hrs. Haven't seen him drinking l. THATS NOT LONG ENOUGH AT EACH SESSION. YOU COULD ADD A DRIPPER AS WELL..IT SHOULD DRIP AT THE RATE IF ONE OR TWO DROPS PER SECOND. A DELICUP WITH A TINY HOLE IN THE BOTTOM WORKS WELL.
Fecal Description - haven't seen any and hasn't been tested for parasites
History - the pet store had no info about him at all.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - it is a screen cage, 24"x 18"x 36"
Lighting - zoomed daylight blue and a 5.0 uvb
Temperature - don't have a temp gauge yet so not sure
THE BASKING TEMPERATURE SHOULD BE IN THE LOW 80'sF. NO HEAT IS NEEDED AT NIGHT UNLESS THE CAGE GETS BELOW 50F.
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? YOU SHOULD KNOW YOUR HUMIDITY LEVELS TOO.
Plants - tall slipper plants and yes they are live
Placement - cage is in my room on the floor not by vents I have a fan but I turn it off during the day. I WOULD RAISE THE CAGE UP HIGHER.
Location - I'm in phoenix arizona
[/QUOTE]
[/QUOTE]
Can you recommend any supplements? My local pet store only had ones with d3 and phosphate they had none without I guess I'm gonna have to buy online? Do you have a link? I'm trying to learn id like to think I have him in a better environment than the pet store did since they had him in a glass cage and it's couldn't have been more bigger than 2 ft by 2 ft

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - veiled, male I believe, today would be 3rd day.
Handling - only handling was putting in him in his cage.
Feeding - first day I fed him horn worms and the second day I fed him about 6 crickets no gut loading first day was in the afternoon and second day was at night big mistake from what I've found out.
FEEDING THE INSECTS WELL AND GUTLOADING THEM IS IMPORTANT. HEALTHY INSECTSWILL HELP THE CHAMELEON BE HEALTHY.
Supplements - no supplements. Any recommendations?
YOU NEED A PHOS FREE CALCIUM POWDER TO DUST ON THE INSECTS AT SLL FEEDINGS BUT ONE A WEEK. ON THAT ONE YOU SHOULD ALTERNATE BETWEEN A PHOS FREE CALCIUM/D3 POWDERAND A VITAMIN POWDER WITH A PREFORMED SOURCE OF VITAMIN A AND NO D3 IN IT. ALL DUSTINGS SHOULD BE DONE LIGHTLY.
Watering - Was misting for 15secs every 3hrs. Haven't seen him drinking l. THATS NOT LONG ENOUGH AT EACH SESSION. YOU COULD ADD A DRIPPER AS WELL..IT SHOULD DRIP AT THE RATE IF ONE OR TWO DROPS PER SECOND. A DELICUP WITH A TINY HOLE IN THE BOTTOM WORKS WELL.
Fecal Description - haven't seen any and hasn't been tested for parasites
History - the pet store had no
Can you recommend any supplements? My local pet store only had ones with d3 and phosphate they had none without I guess I'm gonna have to buy online? Do you have a link? I'm trying to learn id like to think I have him in a better environment than the pet store did since they had him in a glass cage and it's couldn't have been more bigger than 2 ft by 2

Can you recommend any supplements? My local pet store only had ones with d3 and phosphate they had none without I guess I'm gonna have to buy online? Do you have a link? I'm trying to learn id like to think I have him in a better environment than the pet store did since they had him in a glass cage and it's couldn't have been more bigger than 2 ft by 2
Yea sadly pet stores don’t treat reptiles the best so while the glass cage most likely wasn’t more than 2by2 it’s still the minimum size a chameleon needs

I prefer these two if your buying online...

Repashy Calcium plus LoD: This one is the multivitamin with D3 and A. You would use this two times a month say the 1st and the 15th. Buy the 3 oz bottle. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DLJRMV2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Repashy Supercal NoDThis one is the phos free calcium without D3 and would be used at all other feedings. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N3BKCGA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have a ficus benjamina also known as a weeping fig in my enclosure but you can also use an umbrella plant or a mass cane or dracaena I’m not sure of my spelling on that one. There are many plants you can use. There’s a safe plants list on the site chameleonacademy.com. I wouldn’t use the plant you have in there because of the sap and veileds love to munch on their plants so I’d take that one out right away in case it would make him sick.
https://chameleonacademy.com/
I got a ficus and a hibiscus at my local nursery that doesn't use pesticides and I made sure to wash it before I put it in his enclosure just in case I also took out some soil and put in organic soil. I'm learning but I want the best for him. Chams are some of the coolest animals.

I prefer these two if your buying online...

Repashy Calcium plus LoD: This one is the multivitamin with D3 and A. You would use this two times a month say the 1st and the 15th. Buy the 3 oz bottle. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DLJRMV2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Repashy Supercal NoDThis one is the phos free calcium without D3 and would be used at all other feedings. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N3BKCGA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thank you so much! You guys have all really been the best. I'm so glad I came to this forum.

So something I can just buy at home Depot? I'll make sure I do that
Home depot, craft stores, dollar store. They are the larger rounded stones that people use for decorating. Come in bags or plastic containers. You want 1 inch or larger in size. If it has smaller ones in the container take those out and do not use them.

Home depot, craft stores, dollar store. They are the larger rounded stones that people use for decorating. Come in bags or plastic containers. You want 1 inch or larger in size. If it has smaller ones in the container take those out and do not use them.
Also how long is the uvb light supposed to be on? He seems happier without it. I wish I knew more about his previous owners

Also how long is the uvb light supposed to be on? He seems happier without it. I wish I knew more about his previous owners
Should be 12 hours on 12 hours total darkness.

That does not sound right about being happier without UVB. What makes you think he is unhappy? Are you still using the compact screw in UVB bulb or did you buy the correct Linear one? They need uvb to function. The bulbs we use produce both UVB and UV-A. UVB has its roll in them being able to produce their own D3 for bone health and UV-A stimulates basic functions like eating. Without these two forms of light the cham will decline.

Also how long is the uvb light supposed to be on? He seems happier without it. I wish I knew more about his previous

That does not sound right about being happier without UVB. What makes you think he is unhappy? Are you still using the compact screw in UVB bulb or did you buy the correct Linear one? They need uvb to function. The bulbs we use produce both UVB and UV-A. UVB has its roll in them being able to produce their own D3 for bone health and UV-A stimulates basic functions like eating. Without these two forms of light the cham will decline.
Yeah im still using the screw in one until I can get the linear one. And cause he turns really dark with the lights on and gets his greens back when it's off.

It's also a pretty fast color change when the light is off. Like within minutes of turning the light off he is back to his vivid colors. And as soon as I turn it on he just fades pretty much into black

Also how long is the uvb light supposed to be on? He seems happier without it. I wish I knew more about his previous

Yeah im still using the screw in one until I can get the linear one. And cause he turns really dark with the lights on and gets his greens back when it's off.
Keep the uvb on for 12 hours a day. He’s turning dark because he’s absorbing as much of it as he can. Bright colors don’t mean happy for chameleons. :)

It can get confusing because they will get dark for a few reasons. Unhappy is one, To absorb heat is two, and simply hiding in a dark area. So it can be tricky. From what you describe it is like @Beman suggest that he is dark trying to absorb the heat and light. I am sure as you get UV and heat sorted out you will see bright colors more often.

Keep the uvb on for 12 hours a day. He’s turning dark because he’s absorbing as much of it as he can. Bright colors don’t mean happy for chameleons. :)
Awesome. Just so many of these pet stores tell me dark means unhappy. But I will get that linear light here shortly and figure out a better heat situation. Heat is only on for an hour in the morning and an hour before bed right? He seemed to like the 50w bulb alot more than the 25w bulb he basked the whole hour is was on right under the bulb on his moss vine.

Awesome. Just so many of these pet stores tell me dark means unhappy. But I will get that linear light here shortly and figure out a better heat situation. Heat is only on for an hour in the morning and an hour before bed right? He seemed to like the 50w bulb alot more than the 25w bulb he basked the whole hour is was on right under the bulb on his moss vine.
No, bright vivid colors means unhappy and pissed. Darker colors are much more normal resting colors in Veileds. They are absorbing heat and just relaxing. Bright is also their resting colors when they sleep. They become pale. No need to absorb heat when they sleep so they lighten up.

Heat should not be right before bed. This is when they are starting to move into resting position. Most will either run heat most of the day or for a set period of time to mimic a normal environment like 10-2pm the hottest part of the day. This varies keeper to keeper.

It makes sense that he is darkening up when you have the uvb compact on. He is trying to warm up because your limiting his heat.

And I would ignore any feedback you have gotten from pet stores. They are 99.9% of the time totally incorrect in the info they give.

No, bright vivid colors means unhappy and pissed. Darker colors are much more normal resting colors in Veileds. They are absorbing heat and just relaxing. Bright is also their resting colors when they sleep. They become pale. No need to absorb heat when they sleep so they lighten up.

Heat should not be right before bed. This is when they are starting to move into resting position. Most will either run heat most of the day or for a set period of time to mimic a normal environment like 10-2pm the hottest part of the day. This varies keeper to keeper.

It makes sense that he is darkening up when you have the uvb compact on. He is trying to warm up because your limiting his heat.

And I would ignore any feedback you have gotten from pet stores. They are 99.9% of the time totally incorrect in the info they give.
So I should keep heat on longer? Sounds good I'll make sure to keep in mind to make sure I put heat on the hotest part of the day makes sense.

So I should keep heat on longer? Sounds good I'll make sure to keep in mind to make sure I put heat on the hotest part of the day makes sense.
I would... Making sure temps are correct at basking. And he is not sitting too close to it to cause a thermal burn. They need time to digest. They will seek out the heat especially on days they eat.

Back
Top Bottom