Jungle Dawn LED - am I missing something?

PlanetRemulak

Avid Member
I got a dual T5 HO fluorescent fixture from lightyourreptiles.com. The fixture houses both my Arcadia 6% bulb and a daylight bulb for my plants. I went with this option as I’m trying to reduce the amount of things I’d have sitting across the top of my cage, and I felt I’d be getting the best bang for my buck that way (plus I thought I’d need to mount the Sansei 70w LED’s somehow, and my fiancé wasn’t thrilled with the idea of me hanging lights from the wall). Already second guessing this choice and beginning to wonder if I should switch to LED grow lights, or simply add them to the lighting I currently have.. So much for the best bang for my buck idea.

Anyway, while In the process of checking out the Jungle Dawn strip light, I found this:

Jungle dawn LED

I may be answering my own question here, but what would be the difference between the strip light and this aside from wattage? (the strip light is 22 watts, the socket light is 13). Would the socket version be more suitable for smaller vivariums? I have a dual dome fixture as well and am considering using It alongside my daylight fluorescent bulb.

Thank you!

can you show a picture of your dual light fixture?

I’ll go ahead and link you to what I’ll be using, if that’s okay 🙂

Here’s my dual T5 HO fixture from Light your reptiles. It comes with an Arcadia 6% bulb and a daylight plant bulb already in it. This is my double dome fixture. As far as fixtures go, I like having things that are dual purpose and are on the same power cord/can be on the same timer 😎

Ok got it. That looks good. just don’t use the compact uvb light in the double dome because your Arcadia linear bulb is enough, and those compact bulbs don’t penetrate more than 2 inches down. I’m really not sure what to tell you about the grow lights for plants but I’m sure someone else will be along to advise you on that.

Ok got it. That looks good. just don’t use the compact uvb light in the double dome because your Arcadia linear bulb is enough, and those compact bulbs don’t penetrate more than 2 inches down. I’m really not sure what to tell you about the grow lights for plants but I’m sure someone else will be along to advise you on that.

Oh no, I definitely won’t be using anything on the box! I’ll just be sticking to my Arcadia bulb and my regular incandescent heat bulb for basking. Basking bulbs marketed toward reptiles are so insane;y expensive anyhow - I swear they charge what they do for them simply because there is a lizard of some kind printed on the box. 🙄 I went ahead and grabbed the dual dome to use with a ceramic heat emitter for the winter months (it drops below 60 F inside during the winter). It might be overkill on my part, don’t want to risk freezing out my new baby when things finally decide to cool off. Although, that likely won’t be happening around here until November at least 🥵

IMO, you'll be better off with a T5HO UVB and the Sansi 70W LED plant lights. 13 watts won't penetrate very far down, and a single T5 for a plant light isn't enough either (I tried).

Why would the Sansi(s) have to be mounted to a wall? I've got 2 of them on a double-wide enclosure; they're supported by 1x2s that distribute the weight to the enclosure frame.

IMO, you'll be better off with a T5HO UVB and the Sansi 70W LED plant lights. 13 watts won't penetrate very far down, and a single T5 for a plant light isn't enough either (I tried).

Why would the Sansi(s) have to be mounted to a wall? I've got 2 of them on a double-wide enclosure; they're supported by 1x2s that distribute the weight to the enclosure frame.

I guess it doesn’t have to be mounted, I could use some cabinet shelving I think I have laying around somewhere to prop it up. I’ve also heard of some using a cup to raise their lights, which I guess could work temporarily. Anyway, I appreciate that you’re speaking from personal experience! Think one set of Sansi LEDs would be enough if used alongside a T5 daylight bulb?

Back
Top Bottom