Jax baby - boy or girl ?

little leaf

Avid Member
I know it has small horns, so I thought it was male, but a few things are making me 2nd guess this-

#1 - it is the only green/red baby ( Olive the mom is green/red ) , the others are clearly male, and also they are tan/red -

#2- it is the biggest one, 3 g the others are 1 & 2 g - Olive is very big ( 111 g) and this one is starting to out grow the others

# 3 Olive has a tiny little horn bud, and 2 little eye " bumps" -

soooooo is it a boy w/ small horns , or a girl w/ small horns ?

I put up pics of the one in ? - and then a pic of what the others horn growth is at this age, you can see, they are quite bigger than the one in question -

PS - they are 3 mos old on Thur/ the first 3 pics are the same one, a girl? the last is one of the boys

Attachments

• 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
I woul say female too - jdog1027 told me to look at the shape of the face (from side profile) from the top lip up to the base of the rostral horn. The female's profile goes straight up whereas the male's dips in a bit below the horn - you can see it pretty clearly in your pics. My Monty was one of only 3 males in his clutch and to start with they all looked the same, in fact we thought the majority were males and it turned out not to be the case! We weren't sure what to look for back then though!! Even now, one of his sisters still has tiny nubs and they will be 2 years old in September. Some females to retain small nubs, and some have none at all. My friend kept 2 females and one has nubs, the other doesn't, and another friend has two other sisters and one of those has tiny nubs too.

I woul say female too - jdog1027 told me to look at the shape of the face (from side profile) from the top lip up to the base of the rostral horn. The female's profile goes straight up whereas the male's dips in a bit below the horn - you can see it pretty clearly in your pics. My Monty was one of only 3 males in his clutch and to start with they all looked the same, in fact we thought the majority were males and it turned out not to be the case! We weren't sure what to look for back then though!! Even now, one of his sisters still has tiny nubs and they will be 2 years old in September. Some females to retain small nubs, and some have none at all. My friend kept 2 females and one has nubs, the other doesn't, and another friend has two other sisters and one of those has tiny nubs too.

oh yes- I can see the face shape- THANK YOU- I think this will be one of the odd horned females - :p

Back
Top Bottom