Jamaican Field Cricket?

Chameleon Loco

What is the deal with the gryllus assimils being used as a feeder insect my reptile store only carries them now not the brown cricket has anybody used the field cricket as a feeder? And is their care diffrent than the brown cricket?

I've been searching for any info comparing nutritional value of these compared to standard crickets. Any ideas??

When i stoped by my local pet shop to pick up my standing order they switched to these too. I was shocked when i saw how much they can eat in a short amount of time.My red bar is a worm man and wont touch the brown crickets but he will eat these. Im more consearned they will bit&hurt my cham as some of them wont cup feed. Anybody with any info please chime in

These crickets were introduced when the cricket virus was wiping out almost all of the regular brown crickets. They're immune to the virus and hardier than regular crickets. They are ok to feed off and are meatier than regular crickets so you have to feed off less of them to your chameleons. The only negative is that they pack a mean bite. Some have even been known to bite and draw blood, so I would be careful with these. I'd be even more worried about the chameleons. If one of these got a good bite on one of our chameleons it could be pretty bad.

http://www.geckotime.com/jamaican-field-cricket-gryllus-assimili/

I currently have some regular brown cricket escapees roaming my house. It would be horrible to have biting crickets loose everywhere. I think about them taking a bite out of my feet while I'm sitting at my computer. Talk about being creeped out!

They really are not bad. They gutload REALLY well they eat like dubias and look like bloated balloons. They also seem to be able to breed easier. I have had great success breeding them without heat and have VERY little die off till they are full grown.

I always see people posting they ordered some but they never say from where! This cricket is way better than the normal ones even though theyre a bit more aggressive. Can anyone say where they can order this cricket from online?

I always see people posting they ordered some but they never say from where! This cricket is way better than the normal ones even though theyre a bit more aggressive. Can anyone say where they can order this cricket from online?

When I asked at LLL I was told that they were only selling black crickets. Click the "view sponsors" list and go to their site. They have a great pricing policy (1000 crickets is ~$30 including next day shipping) and their customer service is excellent.

When I asked at LLL I was told that they were only selling black crickets. Click the "view sponsors" list and go to their site. They have a great pricing policy (1000 crickets is ~$30 including next day shipping) and their customer service is excellent.

Thanks! Gonna place an order now! :)

I called LLLreptile they told me that they only sell them in there stores and and all mail orders will be filled with brown cricket. The article in the geckotimes.com said you have to have a special USDA permit to ship them across state lines.With anything new I feel its importiant to go slow untill you know! I have a couple clutches of babies and want to be carfull. Im so thankful for these forums so we have a place to learn abot stuff like this.

I believe I got my original shipment that I have been breeding from, from Mulberry Farms about 3 mo ago and the adults are still laying for me. At the rate my breeding project is going I might never have to buy a cricket again:eek::D:D

Anyone here ever have a problem with these crickets, I'm going to be starting a cricket breeding colony soon and I'm not sure which cricket I should breed, but these look like they would be easier with no risk of the cricket virus... I keep a leopard gecko as well as a veiled chameleon think either of them would have any trouble with one of these crickets?

Just keep your eye on how many you toss in a cage that are not eaten rght away as they WILL go after a sleeping reptile. The other thing I don't like about them is that they are lazy, they are happy to lay on the bottom of a cage or cricket tub where as the brown crix is always willing to run up a screen side or hide in a tp roll for easy transfer into a feeding cup. Most SoCal cricket farms now work with them.

:confused:I will be really interested to see how many more random infections/injuries start popping up due to cricket bites as ppl start to use these more. We all know that you should be careful how many crickets your are putting in, but there are always those that don't. Also, it seems there might be more risk to the tongue and soft inner mouth area on our chams especially. I know Claude doesn't always kill the cricket right away and he holds them in his mouth quite often contemplating eating it, lots of time for a cranky Jamacian to do some damage! Ok sorry, just a random thought on how this new bug may impact our pets...I for one will be making sure Claude (and myself for that matter) stay higher up on the food chain then the fodder! Go plain old brown crickets and TONS of dubia! Yay! :)

Back
Top Bottom