Jake's new home

tdismang

I've been duper busy lately, planning and building Jake's new enclosure. I was lucky enough to stumble upon a thread that mentioned jdog's you tube videos on building chameleon cages. I love to build things, so I thought I'd give it a go. Although he's still a little fella, I decided to go with a 24 x 24 x 48, to avoid having to re house him when he gets bigger. I rigged up an ultrasonic humidifier with a hose to provide humidity. Many other features, but you can see it for your self. Eventually I want to get a live plant for the bottom half of the cage. Needs more foliage! Now for some pics!
My handsome boy. Don't mind the shedding :)
20130428_154836.jpg

Front view close up
20130428_154405.jpg

20130428_154604.jpg

It is looking good so far. He really does need some live plants, also what kind of screen did you use? Misting may go past the screen to the outside if you are not careful. I did not see any drainage for the water run off. That is all the hopefully helpful things I can offer.

Hi there! He is very handsome and adorable. I love his home, you did a great job.

Looking good. I was curious about the drainage too. I would definitely add some more plants midway in the cage. Also where did you get that shelf. I looks to be mesh that is framed out? Anyway to get a closer pic of it?

It is looking good so far. He really does need some live plants, also what kind of screen did you use? Misting may go past the screen to the outside if you are not careful. I did not see any drainage for the water run off. That is all the hopefully helpful things I can offer.
Ah yes, the drainage issue. I have plans to make a "tray" of sorts to go under the cage, made out of aluminum frames and a drop cloth or tarp. For now, there's not much condensate escaping the enclosure. And there's nothing but floor under the cage so no worries about anything getting ruined.
The cage is made out of aluminum window screen and aluminum frames.
Any suggestions on plants that would be a good addition to Jake's home?

Looking good. I was curious about the drainage too. I would definitely add some more plants midway in the cage. Also where did you get that shelf. I looks to be mesh that is framed out? Anyway to get a closer pic of it?
I made the shelf out of leftover window screen and frames. I then screwed it into the sides. It's great for his food dish because I know he won't be making many trips to the bottom of the cage.

Does he use the food dish reguarly? I want to start but havent found a sopt to put one....mayb ill make a shelf too. Thanks for the idea :)

Does he use the food dish reguarly? I want to start but havent found a sopt to put one....mayb ill make a shelf too. Thanks for the idea :)
He does. If a cricket manages to escape the dish, he will hunt. He also hand feeds. He's so agreeable! :p

Great job! His new house looks very well made! Thanks for sharing the info on materials you used, very helpful.

Thank you, I'm very proud of myself, even though it took a good 3 days, many adjustments, readjustments, trial and error, and I'm STILL working on fine tuning it. I'll just blame that on the OCD :p

Honestly, I could have bought a Repti-breeze, same size, for about half the price. But the satisfaction of doing it all by myself was well worth it. And I got a hell of a work out, I'm sore from head to toe!

Back
Top Bottom