jacksons swollen lip

chameleonowner32

Avid Member
stonewall has a little bit of the corner of his mouth showing. it looks pink and wet/ normal for him. the bottom right corner of his mouth is showing and it looks like it could be swollen. I will post pics later. im taking him to the vet tomorrow or Friday. any info/ pics or advice before I took him would be nicee. id rather avoid spending a lump some of cash if it sounds ok.

there is a gland in the corner of the Jackson's mouth that seems to be prone to infections. It is called a temporal gland. I am not sure if that is what is going on with your chameleon but is a possibility.

I researched it and I'm pretty sure that's what it is... :( here is what it looks like. It looks just like that except it is pink/ tiny bit of purple like a fat lip :(. I'm taking him Friday to the vet for it; also the previous owner kept him in glass so he might have an Uri/ he has bulkend up for me tho because when I got him he was only 23g now he is 32g at roughly 8-9 months. His irate was orange now its white. :)

Attachments

• Zoom.jpg
    Zoom.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 120
That's fine. Any info is helpful. Any idea on the price for the vet visit for a temperal gland infection? It might just be swollen

It really depends on your vet and it varies. If it is an infection they will probably do a culture test on it and then prescribe a med plus the vet visit itself. My vet would probably charge about $100 for everything but that is just my vet.

I don't think that temporal glands become swollen unless they are infected.
Very mild cases can sometimes be helped by cleaning with dilute chlorhexidine or dilute povidone iodine on a qtip, daily until all cleared up but that's really only for the mildest cases--and it is painful for the cham.
The vet is a safer route, for sure, to prevent a small issue from becoming a larger one.

I'm taking him today or tomorrow for sure. My mom wont take me yet because there is no one to watch my sister's. I told ber she's paying for the extra stuff if it gets worse. Anyway guys/ girls it has went down some( less puffy.swollen) but yesterday it was bleeding a little. I'm really worried about that.

I'm taking him today or tomorrow for sure. My mom wont take me yet because there is no one to watch my sister's. I told ber she's paying for the extra stuff if it gets worse. Anyway guys/ girls it has went down some( less puffy.swollen) but yesterday it was bleeding a little. I'm really worried about that.

yes, he needs to see a vet - please dont take this the wrong way.....I know it has to be frustrating to have to depend on your Mom to get you and he to the vet, but please respect your Mom, its hard to be a Mom :p, as I am sure it is hard to be a kid too :) and when I was a kid, my parents also did not understand taking my pet mouse to the vet - lol - but they did - then I had a one eyed mouse :p but hang in there, and keep us posted on your little guy , I know , its very upsetting to see him not feeling well, but getting " lippy" with your Mom is not going to help get him there ( I just grounded my 17 yr old for getting " lippy" - lol ) - like I said, please dont take it as my being "bossy" - or mean to you - I think its great you take such responsibility and great care at such a young age - I wish there were more young men like you :)

Yes I understand and with me and my mom she knows I'm not yelling at her and understands how much I care for my chameleons. And thank you I.try to be the best younge man I can by doing that. Hopefully I can get in tons of expeirence before I reach the average age on here. Ill try to get a pic of him as my ipod/ camera is broken.:(

Yes I understand and with me and my mom she knows I'm not yelling at her and understands how much I care for my chameleons. And thank you I.try to be the best younge man I can by doing that. Hopefully I can get in tons of expeirence before I reach the average age on here. Ill try to get a pic of him as my ipod/ camera is broken.:(

you sound like a great kid :) and you are already ahead of most on here, as far as age- means nothing - lol - you act more mature and responsible then some 50 yrs old I know- :p
keep us posted on your little guy :)

Update. It was pretty infected, it went back a 1/4 inch to the bone, they said it had taken several months for that to happen and he has been with me for a month now so it wasn't under my care. They gave him pain medicine and took out a 1/4 inch of puss balls, so he isn't in pain right now. :) he is on 4 meds now, pain, antibiotics, cleaner, a coating for protection. Names of the meds, baytril, nystatin, noluassan, metacam. It all cost $48 for the visit and meds, which is super cheap :eek: he didn't have any respitory problems.:) I feel so bad for him as he showed no signs of it. His right lip kinda showed when I got him so I watched it and it swelled on Monday so I kept watching it and realised what it was.:(

Glad you were able to get the chameleon to the vet and hopefully all will soon be well. Make sure you keep the chameleon well hydrated...meds are hard on the kidneys...and after you stop the meds keep an eye on the chameleon to make sure the infection is really gone. The bacteria involved with lip/mouth issues is hard to get rid of sometimes.

With all of the meds he got I doubt bacteria will want to live there;). I have a mouth wash for him twice daily. And thanks for the help everyone:D.

Back
Top Bottom