jacksons on the mainland....

When you go cham hunting... where they are native to.... not in Caleefournyah. haha.... you don't bag them... you just take pictures, right?

When you go cham hunting... where they are native to.... not in Caleefournyah. haha.... you don't bag them... you just take pictures, right?

I go just for the sake of observing them in the wild. If I do find one that looks like it could use a good home, ill take it home with me. In hawaii, people do this for a source of income, its really sad. Guys will go out and collect as many as they can, and sell em to the petstores for 5 buclks. 9 out of 10 petstores will have about 10-15 of em housed togehter in a 3x3x2 type of cage - this weekend i bought 3 from my "favorite" petstore for 60 bucks, just to go realease them back into the wild.

dennis - dug this up today in my evening jackson readings -

It is illegal to transport Jackson's from the Hawaiian Islands to the continental US without a permit from the (Hawaii) Department of Land & Natural Resources (DLNR). Doing so is a (class C) felony with a fine of $50,000 to $200,000. Also, it is a petty misdemeanor to transport Jackson's from island to island, and if caught this could result in a fine of up to $5,000. The DLNR will give a one-time permit (there are no fees involved) for up to four (4) animals per household for personal use. Permits are also given for an indefinite number of Jackson's for valid scientific research or educational purposes. There are no restrictions on the age, size or sex of the animals you take. These permits are only issued from the DLNR's main office in Honolulu, regardless of where the chameleons are purchased or collected. The requestor of the permit must be physically in the state of Hawaii, and can be obtained by calling or visiting the DLNR office at:

Department of Land and Natural Resources (DLNR)
Division of Forestry and Wildlife (DOFW)
1151 Punchbowl St., Rm. 325
Honolulu, HI 96813
(808) 587-0166
Contact person: Nancy Lisignioli

Again, do not request a permit unitl you are actually in the state of Hawaii. Although the office is in Honolulu, if you are on another island you can still request a permit and it will be faxed to you. According to the DLNR, scores of people have done/are doing this. However the airline you are traveling may have restrictions - some will not allow reptiles on board in the cabin or as luggage, so you may have to ship them as cargo. Make sure you check with the individual airline first.

UPDATE 2/7/01: You may have noticed lately that many stores are advertising Jackson's for sale from Hawaii, and they state that they were obtained legally. I recently read a post from a store stating that they obtained a shipment of Jackson's from "someone that was given a permit to remove the Jackson's from their property". Although this may have been said by the seller this is still illegal

I go just for the sake of observing them in the wild. If I do find one that looks like it could use a good home, ill take it home with me. In hawaii, people do this for a source of income, its really sad. Guys will go out and collect as many as they can, and sell em to the petstores for 5 buclks. 9 out of 10 petstores will have about 10-15 of em housed togehter in a 3x3x2 type of cage - this weekend i bought 3 from my "favorite" petstore for 60 bucks, just to go realease them back into the wild.

YOU ARE AWESOME!!! Thank GOD for people like you! You just gained my highest respect. Mahala
and Shar Shalom
(meaning I want the deepest peace for you with blessings abundant)

jackson are not native to hawaii so i was wondering if it is legal to release them back into the wild. i live in florida were it is legal to collect any none native reptile but if you release it, it is illegal to do so and you can be fined.

jackson are not native to hawaii so i was wondering if it is legal to release them back into the wild. i live in florida were it is legal to collect any none native reptile but if you release it, it is illegal to do so and you can be fined.

You are correct jv- nothing really is native to hawaii as we are in the middle of the ocean. Everyting that is on this place is brought! However, in 1972, jacksons were introduced to hawaii from Kenya and Tanzania(illegally) and have since really thrived in the environment. Becuase of numerous studies determening they are not a detrament to the envornment here, they have been alowed to remain, and flourish. They exist on not only Oahu but Maui, Kauai, and Hawaii. You can find them primarily on the Koolau range here on oahu. They are so prominant, you can find people selling them on the side of the road as you drive around the island for 5 bucks - picture a grown-up cool-aid stand.

To anwser your question, (re) releasing them into the wild is not illegal to my knowledge. I am actually not sure how it would be? Something to look up for sure. However, importing almost any reptile is VERY illegal here, and you will be fined upwards of 200 tousand if you are cought with any snakes, certain lizards (almost all), or other chameleons other than jacksons. There are rumors of small colonies of vieled chams living on maui, however they activly search and destroy any they do find.

Good question tho! Im gonna look into it until someone that might have the anwser chimes in :) If you are asking me this to deter me from purchasing chams housed improperly for the sake of releasing them, I can tell you right now that it will not stop me. Since i have started this hobbie, I have formed friendships with a local petstore and discuss pretty disheartening topics with them such as mortality rates of their chams. You would be suprised at the percentages that dont make it.. or shall i say, of chams that DO make it. Ill just leave it at that

i'm just saying take caution when you release them becuase if it is illegal and you get caught i wouldn't want you to get in trouble. i'm always takeing in unwanted reptile that people want to release ( mostly turtles). can you post photo of the chameleon

Back
Top Bottom