Jackson's has swollen back left leg

Esky

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Jackson's, male, 1.5 years old. I've had him for 4 days.
  • Handling - First and second day he had maybe 15 minutes of handling each day as I prepped his cage. I've left him go and avoid contact since i noticed swelling.
  • Feeding - Crickets. I haven't had time to implement worms yet due to his health issue. He ate about 4-5 crickets his first 2 days. 3 crickets were loaded.
  • Supplements - calcium 0% D3 and multi powder
  • Watering - I have the little dripper which runs all day. He has a leafy bamboo plant which i spray with cool water 4 times daily.
  • Fecal Description - Stool is solid oval shape with dark brown coloring. One poop had small white orbs
  • History - Bought at a reptile convention. I inspected for abnormalities and mites but saw none. With the exception of being a little dehydrated he seemed healthy.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type -He has a 48'' x 24 x 24 mesh screen enclosure. It sits about 5 feet off the ground.
  • Lighting - He has a dual bulb fixture that has a no light heating bulb which reaching mid 80s on his basking spot. 2nd bulb is 100W UVB which runs 10-12 hours daily.
  • Temperature - My room fluctuates between 65-70 (consistent 68 degrees).
  • Humidity - I'm not 100% on the humidity level but I keep paper towels on the floor of his cage (while heating lamp is on) and make sure they're very moist along with the misting his enclosure twice a day
  • Plants - 1 live bamboo plant and multiple climbing structures (nepenthese pitcher plant is being added within the next 2 days).
  • Location - Pennsylvania

Current Problem - As stated, i bought the Jackson's (Esky) at a reptile show. I spoke to the breeder and inspected Esky thoroughly and found no abnormalities other than dehydrates (observed from slight depression of eyes). While hanging on his vine, he'd hang his back left leg (swelling was not too apparent in the leg but his joint seemed slightly puffy with no apparent discoloration). When he got in his cage (2 days ago) he immediately explored it so I figured he may have hurt himself while climbing the cage (one foot had a missing nail). Over time, the left leg began to look a little more swollen. Now today he isn't too responsive (keeps eyes closed, unless lightly touched he will have tentative eye movement). Gout seems like the gut answer but I'm not sure. Any suggestions in helping him? I'm open to any changes necessary. I have 3 picture attached showing the healthy state, the leg hang, and the swelling.

Attachments

• Back Left Leg Swelling.jpg
    Back Left Leg Swelling.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 229
  • Healthy.jpg
    Healthy.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 158
  • Leg Hanging.png
    Leg Hanging.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 191
I know that limbs swell when the bone is broken. Does it look damaged other than the swelling?
There's slight discoloration but it's hard to tell if it's just his morning color tone or damage. I'm still getting used to his tendencies. Are there any other visible signs of injury I can look for?

How often do you dust your feeders?

What vender did you get him from? Your best bet is talking to the vendor if you got him 4 days ago

I am not familiar with Jackson's but I will ask some clarifying questions so that when an experienced jacksons keeper is available they can chime in with more info.

Chameleon Info:
  • Handling - First and second day he had maybe 15 minutes of handling each day as I prepped his cage. I've left him go and avoid contact since i noticed swelling.
  • Feeding - Crickets. I haven't had time to implement worms yet due to his health issue. He ate about 4-5 crickets his first 2 days. 3 crickets were loaded. Can you clarify what you meant by Loaded? Gut loaded -- what are you loading with?
  • Watering - I have the little dripper which runs all day. He has a leafy bamboo plant which i spray with cool water 4 times daily. What are your humidity levels?
  • Fecal Description - Stool is solid oval shape with dark brown coloring. One poop had small white orbs Fecals tests are always recommended.
  • History - Bought at a reptile convention. I inspected for abnormalities and mites but saw none. With the exception of being a little dehydrated he seemed healthy.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type -He has a 48'' x 24 x 24 mesh screen enclosure. It sits about 5 feet off the ground.
  • Lighting - He has a dual bulb fixture that has a no light heating bulb which reaching mid 80s on his basking spot. 2nd bulb is 100W UVB which runs 10-12 hours daily.You will need a linear UVB light. Not sure about the strength needed for jacksons.
  • Temperature - My room fluctuates between 65-70 (consistent 68 degrees). Do you have a basking area for the chameleon? How are you measuring the temperature inside the cage?
  • Humidity - I'm not 100% on the humidity level but I keep paper towels on the floor of his cage (while heating lamp is on) and make sure they're very moist along with the misting his enclosure twice a day Remove the wet paper towell. Either a bioactive setup or a bare bottom. Wet paper towels combined with the heat from the lights -- you're asking for gross bacteria -- even if you change it often -- I would not.
  • Plants - 1 live bamboo plant and multiple climbing structures (nepenthese pitcher plant is being added within the next 2 days).

Considering you've only had him for 4 days he may have pre-existing issues. Correct your husbandry based on the info provided by Jackson's keepers.

I am not familiar with Jackson's but I will ask some clarifying questions so that when an experienced jacksons keeper is available they can chime in with more info.

Chameleon Info:
  • Feeding - Crickets. I haven't had time to implement worms yet due to his health issue. He ate about 4-5 crickets his first 2 days. 3 crickets were loaded. Can you clarify what you meant by Loaded? Gut loaded -- what are you loading with? all 3 crickets were calcium 0% D3 dusted.
  • Watering - I have the little dripper which runs all day. He has a leafy bamboo plant which i spray with cool water 4 times daily. What are your humidity levels? Not not 100% sure but I would guess between 30-50%.
  • Fecal Description - Stool is solid oval shape with dark brown coloring. One poop had small white orbs Fecals tests are always recommended. I will this weekend.

Cage Info:
  • Lighting - He has a dual bulb fixture that has a no light heating bulb which reaching mid 80s on his basking spot. 2nd bulb is 100W UVB which runs 10-12 hours daily.You will need a linear UVB light. Not sure about the strength needed for jacksons. I can make the addition of a linear UVB.
  • Temperature - My room fluctuates between 65-70 (consistent 68 degrees). Do you have a basking area for the chameleon? How are you measuring the temperature inside the cage? Yes, basking spot reaching 86 degrees. Temperature gun and sticky thermometer .
  • Humidity - I'm not 100% on the humidity level but I keep paper towels on the floor of his cage (while heating lamp is on) and make sure they're very moist along with the misting his enclosure twice a day Remove the wet paper towell. Either a bioactive setup or a bare bottom. Wet paper towels combined with the heat from the lights -- you're asking for gross bacteria -- even if you change it often -- I would not. Read this and just took out the paper towel.

Considering you've only had him for 4 days he may have pre-existing issues. Correct your husbandry based on the info provided by Jackson's keepers.

Last edited:
I’m no export on supplements for Jackson’s but I know they need less calcium and less multivitamins than other chameleons. They are montane species they are at higher altitudes

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/jacksons/
I read that as well thought a lesser dusted amount would be 3 times calcium a week and 1-2 times multi. I assumed he had not been fed properly for minimum 2 days since I bought him from a reptile convention. I'll give him some nondusted cricks and wormy boys for the rest of the week.

I read that as well thought a lesser dusted amount would be 3 times calcium a week and 1-2 times multi. I assumed he had not been fed properly for minimum 2 days since I bought him from a reptile convention. I'll give him some nondusted cricks and wormy boys for the rest of the week.

What kind of worms?

You will also want a hydrogememter to measure humidity levels. When I asked what gutload you were using I was asking what you are feeding the crickets.
chameleon-food-jpg.249259

Attachments

• chameleon-food.jpg
    chameleon-food.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 341
What kind of worms?

You will also want a hydrogememter to measure humidity levels. When I asked what gutload you were using I was asking what you are feeding the crickets. View attachment 249258
chameleon-food-jpg.249259
That's a very helpful diagram, thank you. I had the wrong understanding of gut loading and dusting. Gut loading consisted of a cricket feed that has nutrients. By wormy boys I meant super worms and horn worms for the depressed eyes.

Update: i went home to checkup on him and he seems pretty weak and out of it. I scheduled a vet appt for tonight. Thank you to everyone who responded!

Sorry I couldn't get back to you sooner. Clearly it's not anything that came from your husbandry in 4 days. Looking at the foot it might be an infection coming from where he lost the nail. A vet check is an excellent idea. Let the seller know they might or might not refund your money. It's worth a try.
When he gets home we can get you on a reliable supplement schedule. Calcium 2-3 times a week and d3 and multi once monthly lightly on half the feeders.

Sorry I couldn't get back to you sooner. Clearly it's not anything that came from your husbandry in 4 days. Looking at the foot it might be an infection coming from where he lost the nail. A vet check is an excellent idea. Let the seller know they might or might not refund your money. It's worth a try.
When he gets home we can get you on a reliable supplement schedule. Calcium 2-3 times a week and d3 and multi once monthly lightly on half the feeders.
Thank you, your time and help is appreciated!

It looks like it could be an infection...is it missing any toenails on that foot?
Another possibility is gout...but you need a vet test to determine that.
I also don't like the knobby look to the knee...it just might be broken...but I doubt that on its own would make him weak.
Don't forget...I'm not a vet...just giving you my best opiinion.
Hope the vet you're going to is a good exotics vet....good luck.

It looks like it could be an infection...is it missing any toenails on that foot?
Another possibility is gout...but you need a vet test to determine that.
Hope the vet you're going to is a good exotics vet....good luck.
Infection of some sort was my guess as well. Although, he is missing a toe nail but not on that foot ironically. The nail loss was most likely prepurchase. i didn't see any blood on the missing nail. After giving it some thought, assuming the vendor took care of Esky well (he had multiple other chameleons that looked healthy and Esky was acting normal for 2 days postpurchase) I'm leaning more towards it being a fractured limb. I'm in the process of repotting a pitcher plant into his cage. Right now i have an empty ceramic next to his bamboo tree. I'm guessing in his exploration of the cage he ventured onto the pot, had a slip and got his leg wedged between the pot and cage. While being wedged he may have slipped into the pot or on the side of it torquing his leg causing a fracture. Unfortunate if true, but good incite for the future and a relatively easier recovery. I'm still going to the vet tonight though.

I'm glad you're still going to the vet tonight.
Is he still seeming to be weak?
Since the toenail is missing on a different it's very unlikely that it's the problem.

Back
Top Bottom