Jacksons Chameleon

Has anyone seen large blue/black patches on Jacksons Chameleon before?

Currently have a adult female who has developed a patch on her right-side approx 5 cm long , the skin is not necrotic, and there is no wound to speak of.

Are you able to add photos onto the forum??

If anyone is able to help it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Mike Chillingworth
[email protected]

I took the pics of the wild Jacks here on Maui that had the black patches. Try checking my gallery. Do they look the same?

Ive wondered about the spots too, so when I found a female in my yard with them on her back leg and tail I decided to keep her for a bit to observe. I am kinda starting to wonder if its just genetic. She is just starting a shed so Im curious to see if it effects it.

Puka, you got any pics? That would be neat if it was a new morph or something. I'm startin to think they can get the black spots for a variety of reasons. Some of the causes they can live with, some not. It seems like the skin was damaged or at the least irritated. Whether it be eviromental (i.e. scrape from a branch from heavy winds, insect bites) or man made ( i.e. accidentally sprayed with poison, mishandling). I have 2 wild jacks that have some black spots. I aquired them that way. Both seem to be thriving. The spots don't seem go away or diminish after shedding.
A while back someone wrote in the Maui News asking about this. I'll try to attache the letter:

Attachments

• MauiNews.jpg
    MauiNews.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 144
Pohchunyee... LOL! Don't read, is evil. I read some of the posts and I see your point.
Got me really curious about some of the Jacks being morphs. I have an adult male with a black spot on his lower jaw and a juvie brown phase female with a black patch around her eye. Maybe when she gets older I'll breed her to the male. I hope I didn't just open myself up to get bashed for thinking about it. They were both caught in the same area so there would have been a chance that it would happen naturally.

did you recently add store bought plants to your cage, if so what kind, what state do you live in.

I'm thinking pesticides

Went out today to take some new pics of wild jacks. We searched at 4 different locations and saw between 12 - 14 jacks. There was a total of 8 Jacks with the black markings. They looked pretty good considering we're in a drought. The only exception was a juvie male about 2.5" that had one of his front legs that was totally black. I don't know if it's a coincidence or not but his eye on that side was damaged.
I tried to post the new pics but the files are too large. Anyone got know if there is a way to post them?

Last edited:
it must be great to be able to go outside to wild chameleons, it would probably feel even better if they were thriving

The Jacks here are definetly thriving. We only looked at 4 different parks in one town. We found 12-14 jacks that were easily accessible, but on the way to each park we saw more than 32 jacks that were out of reach. Whether it be in someones yard, climbing telephone poles and power lines.
I think the reason different populations do better than others is because some populations got established in areas they weren't totally adapted for. All the parks we looked at yesterday were in Kula. If you follow the link you'll see that Kula is one of those places they didn't expect the jackson population to thrive. Now to their suprise you can go pretty much anywhere up in Kula and find them.
http://www.hear.org/alienspeciesinhawaii/waringreports/chameleon.htm
I'm the envious one. Must be really great being able to keep other reptiles such as chams, and torts. I'd love to get a veiled or panther but no can do here. Seeing all those pretty pics on the forum, I'm so green. LOL

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom