Jackson's Chameleon inactive bottom of cage, pale in color

Stevesmom

My Jacksons chameleon (Steve approx. a year and 7 months old) is sick. He is pale green (almost turquoise) and sleeping at the bottom of the cage. The reptile guy says I had all of my lighting wrong. This is all my fault.. I had the UVB on at night and heat in the day. He is having me leave both off for 2 days then turn both on in the daytime only. I was wondering if anyone had gone through this and has any advice. Or knows what my chances are after doing this wrong for 6 months. I'm no herpetologist or chameologist? but I know love and that is exactly what my family has....a tremendous love for Steve.

Last edited:
Hi,

Very sorry to hear that your chameleon isn't doing so well. It would help if you could fill out the https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/ form. Just copy/paste it and write your answers in.

Unfortunately, I am no expert on jacksons, but I am sure somebody else will come with useful input, especially if you provide more information on you care and setup.

And don't give up. We all make mistakes. Your love and devotion might still be able to help Steve, if you combine it with proper care.

All the best,
Julija

Basically you messed up his sleep schedule.
Don't keep the lights off for two days though.

Leave all lights on for 10-12 hours, or on when the sun rises, and off when the sun sets.

After a few days, he should be back to normal.

Thank you for your replies. Should I try to move him up to his regular perch?
I hate seeing him like this. It's terrible.

How long has he been like that? What are other symptoms besides sleeping in the bottom? Does he have a tight grip enough to hold on his own if you move him up? When would he usually sleep before, when you had lights on both day and night?

I would still advise to fill out the form. If your lighting was off, who knows what else you might have been misinformed about. Otherwise I support the previous suggestion - switch to 12/12 hours on/off light schedule immediately and keep a close eye on him.

He has been like this since last night. He usually sleeps from 7pm-7am with the UVA/UVB light on. Now that I know this is wrong, ill have both on from 7am-7pm. He is gripping the side of his enclosure on the bottom, and he's pale green and has no other symptoms. He NEVER stays down there just goes to hunt down there occasionally. The reptile guy said no light for 2 days.

I know he said that, but two days of NO heat, means he will get cold and wont be able to digest his food.

No light for two days is an awful idea.

If anything, it would make him worse.

Starting NOW, have Steve's lights on a normal schedule.

If they are off, turn them on. Then turn them off tonight when it gets dark.

You should be able to keep Steve outside most of the time were you are located. This would do Steve a world of good, even if it just a few hours a week.

Please fill out the Help form, and paste it in a reply here.

Best to look everything over now, that way if theres anything else that needs adjustment, we can change it before hes at the bottom of his enclosure, passed out during the day time(a bad thing).

Then, continue to update us on Steve.

I don't think leaving the lights off for two days will help anything. I don't think you will reverse any sleep deprivation by doing that. I would try to set your lights up to mimic the sunlight and you should see some much better results. I also would not rule out anything else being the cause of the behavior. I would suggest a vet visit if you do not see almost immediate recovery. It might be a good idea to fill out the "how to ask for help" form so we can see if there could be other issues. Here is a link to the Jackson's care sheet if you haven't seen it yet. Hope Steve is doing better soon! :)

Sorry to hear about your Cham. You came to the right place for help. I agree with the other members about not leaving the lights off. Your Cham needs heat. My lights are on a timer 12 hours on, 12 hours of complete darkness. No heat lamp or anything. Chams are ok to take a temp drop at night. Some people insist on using red heat bulbs, but it keeps them awake. Best of luck to you and your Cham :)

Steve

This morning, after checking on Steve and seeing his condition, I got online and found this forum. I read for awhile. I decided to become a member because I saw the love I (we) have for Steve in so many of the members. I looked at pictures and read of heartaches and joys. Still I was surprised that so many of you replied. Some of you with a lot of experience. Though I clearly have none, You still took the time. I really appreciate your support. And I don't really have the words except our little man is gone now. And now I have a hole in my heart a mile wide and just want him back so bad. I'd just do anything to have him back. I just can't imagine a life without a chameleon now. I had no idea.

So sorry for your loss. It is surprising how fast and how deeply we get attached to these beautiful creatures. Don't be too hard on yourself. We all have made mistakes. Now you know how to properly care for a chameleon and you have a great resource if you ever have a question or concern.

This morning, after checking on Steve and seeing his condition, I got online and found this forum. I read for awhile. I decided to become a member because I saw the love I (we) have for Steve in so many of the members. I looked at pictures and read of heartaches and joys. Still I was surprised that so many of you replied. Some of you with a lot of experience. Though I clearly have none, You still took the time. I really appreciate your support. And I don't really have the words except our little man is gone now. And now I have a hole in my heart a mile wide and just want him back so bad. I'd just do anything to have him back. I just can't imagine a life without a chameleon now. I had no idea.

Sorry to hear you lost him. Chameleons are not an easy first reptile. We've all made mistakes, especially with our first. I suggest sticking around and learning more. When you feel ready give it another go!

I was so sorry to read this. It is amazing how quickly they get in! Do not beat yourself up about this, but just do tons of research and learn all you can. Unfortunately this still does not ensure that you will have success, but it will greatly increase your chances. Some of the best keepers have had terrible tragedies and felt that pain, but it is so worth it when you have success. I can only say that with time you will be able to look back with happy thoughts and smile. :) You said it best when commenting on the community. So many will reply and only want the best for these special creatures! :D I only wish we could have done more for Steve and helped your family in your time of need. I hope you will give a great life to another special chameleon someday soon. ;)

-Deca :)

SS -I agree. To Steve...

Awe I am so sorry that you lost him. We put our trust in people because they sell an animal, so we assume they know how to care for them. Not always the case unfortunately. Please don't let this discourage you on becoming an owner again in the future. Now you have this forum, and all of us who have a great passion for these amazing creatures. We are all here to help you if you decide to take the plunge again. RIP Steve.....

RIP Steve...Don't get discouraged, unfortunately these things happen. Chams are very fragile and so many people don't realize. I'm glad you found the forum because as most of us have found, most (not all) pet stores are just trying to sell the animal, they don't have very much experience. I wish you the best of luck and hope you are able to give another cham a loving home. And if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. You will never have too much info on these amazing animals :)

Oh no, it is always a heart ache to read these threads. I am so sorry for your loss.

This forum is truly an amazing resource for chameleons. If you really research this forum and read everything you can, you will be successful with your next chameleon. They are truly captivating creatures and it is hard to not own one once you have experienced their charm.

Back
Top Bottom