Jackson's Chameleon found on Kauai first time

Brad

Administrator
Staff member
LIHUE, KAUAI (HawaiiNewsNow) -
An unwanted visitor has been captured on Kauai for the first time.

A man in Lihue spotted a Jackson's Chameleon last week while walking his dog. He quickly reported it to agriculture officials who later caught the animal ...

local news story

I agree the horns are just huge. But look at that photo...how many of you ever, EVER pick up a cham wearing gloves?? Seems a little bit of overkill. I can see the headlines: HUGE CHAMELEON ATTACKS PEOPLE ON WALKING TRAIL. or WILDLIFE OFFICIAL LOSES EPIC BATTLE WITH MUTANT HORNED CHAMELEON. :D

We are chameleons enthusiast, however more invasive species on Kauai is not a great thing for the ecology of the island. As seen on the other Hawaiian Islands invasive Trioceros jacksonii xantholophus can push native ecosystems out of balance and have have ill affect towards certain species.

Last edited:
is that a JJ ? he does have nice horns- I'll take him !!
I was suppose to go to H/ this summer,( but now we are going to go to Marco Island to watch the turtles instead - ) and actually planed to go cham hunting, but they will not let you get them off the islands - I do not understand this ? if they want them gone , why would they not let you remove them? you can get a permit to catch them- its just there is no way to get them home- my only thinking is that maybe they are afraid someone will take the wrong thing- but your "catch" can be inspected - anyway - that is a fine looking cham- but I also respect the fact - they do not belong there-

doe I read somewhere that the jacksons in hawaii have some jcksonii jacksonii in them, and that why you see females with long horns now and then, and the tend to show a weak yellow stripe.

but chris said that there is no record of jacksonii jacksonii in them

doe I read somewhere that the jacksons in hawaii have some jcksonii jacksonii in them, and that why you see females with long horns now and then, and the tend to show a weak yellow stripe.

but chris said that there is no record of jacksonii jacksonii in them

I have never read that or heard that the Hawaiian Jacksons are hybrids of Trioceros jacksonii jacksonii and Trioceros jacksonii xantholophus. They maybe showing some unique phenotypes compared to other populations of Trioceros jacksonii xantholophus. However imports of anything living to the Hawaiian Islands are strictly regulated and monitored both going in and out of that archipelago. Along with that, the Wildlife Department is extremely strict and does not allow imports of plants and animals that could possibly become established as invasive species and pose a threat to native wildlife and ecosystems.

Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
I haven't been to Hawaii in years, since I started keeping chams but might need to plan a trip to go back and go chameleon hunting. :D

I have never read that or heard that the Hawaiian Jacksons are hybrids of Trioceros jacksonii jacksonii and Trioceros jacksonii xantholophus. They maybe showing some unique phenotypes compared to other populations of Trioceros jacksonii xantholophus. However imports of anything living to the Hawaiian Island are strictly regulated and monitored both going in and out of that archipelago. Along with that, the Wildlife Department is extremely strict and does not allow imports of plants and animals that could possibly become established as invasive species and pose a threat to native wildlife and ecosystems.

Jeremy A. Rich

no you are right the fauna should be preserve

I believe the late Sean Mckeown reported Jackson's from Kauai in the late 90's in his book Reptiles and Amphibians of Hawaii

I don't want to alarm anyone, but after studying those prominent horns, I don't think we are looking at a Jackson's Chameleon at all. I believe they have discovered a small species of Triceratops. After all, they did film Jurassic Park in Hawaii...:D

Does anyone else appreciate the fact that ever thing in that photo is an invasive species, flora and fauna?

Always picking on the guy with horns!

Back
Top Bottom