Jackson's Chameleon and Plant Lighting

So I'm getting an enclosure set up for a Jackson's Chameleon, and I have some questions about plant lights. The cage is a dragon strand 24"x24"x48", and before I get my chameleon I will have a good deal of branches and vines (probably a combination of live and artificial pathos). The lights I have on there now area 60w incandescent for heat, and a zoomed reptisun 24" HO T5 5.0 for UVB. There is not a window in this room, so I am a bit concerned about the plant growth with just these lights. I got a dwarf umbrella tree and ficus benjamina which sit on the floor of the cage. My question is: will these lights be enough to keep these plants healthy, should I buy some sort of grow light (if so what type/wattage), and would that grow light have any negative effect on my Jackson's health? If it matters, I intend to be getting a young adult from FLChams.

If you haven’t purchased the lights yet I’m going to recommend this one from lightyourreptiles.com. Pretty sure glass blocks a lot of the UV light coming through your window. This can be both your UVB light as well as your grow light. Would still need a basking light.

May need the 12% bulb but I’ll let someone else answer that.
F8494026-ECF8-4F41-83D6-9D3FFB838196.png

If you haven’t purchased the lights yet I’m going to recommend this one from lightyourreptiles.com. Pretty sure glass blocks a lot of the UV light coming through your window. This can be both your UVB light as well as your grow light. Would still need a basking light.

May need the 12% bulb but I’ll let someone else answer that.View attachment 214226
I do already have the lights, i could potentially upgrade at some point, but if there's a cheaper option, I'd rather due that

6500k bulbs should help keep your plants healthy. Aren't the young adults at FLChams wild caught? I would try going captive bred by one of our forum members. What subspecies do you plan on getting? Good call getting the Dragon Strand caging. :)

Happy Chameleon Keeping!
CJ's Exotics

I've seen FLChams recommended for Jackson's on this site, but if they are wild caught then I won't get them from there. I just sent an email asking.

Good to hear about the lights, is there any reason as to why I might want to get the quad fixture, though, instead of the dual fixture?

Thank you

Edit: Oh, and I plan on getting a xantholophus

I like the quad so I can have more plant bulbs. I have Arcadia for UVB and two 6500k and a plant pro for plant health. The fixture does allow for great coverage through the top section of the enclosure.

You can also try the FB group Jackson's Chameleon Community they have a large xanth breeding project going on with Kenyan xanth lines. It is headed up by Bill Strand of Dragon Strand Cages and Petr Necas who does a lot of field work in Africa. The group should have many babies from breeders all over the country ready or near ready to go. The babies will all be captive born of wild caught parents with some certificate of parentage.

Back
Top Bottom