Jackson's Cham - sleeping during day, no other symptoms

Lathis

Chameleon Enthusiast
Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - Jackson's Chameleon (Xanth), 18 months old
  • Handling - Regularly, at least 2-3 week to move him to/from free range
  • Feeding - Crickets/superworms/silkworms are bulk, miscellaneous other feeders when available. Gutloading using Bug Burger and greens/apples/and other veggies
  • Supplements - Plain calcium 2-3x weekly, Reptivite with D3 1x monthly
  • Watering - MistKing automated mister (10 mins at 10AM, 15mins at 12:30PM, 5 mins at 3PM, 5 mins at 5:30PM), tap water (local municipality uses low free chlorine and no fluoride), he drinks well and loves additional warm showers
  • Fecal Description - Moist but firm brown jelly bean with bright white urates, has been clean of parasites at past testings this summer
  • History - I have Ferdinand since March 2013. Medical history: Treated for parasites in March, temporal gland infection in late June, nutrition-related tongue issues that are slowly getting better, minor edema last month due to over supplementing but seems to have resolved itself

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Full screen cage, 2x3x6
  • Lighting - 12-ON/12-OFF schedule, 5.0 UVB light is about ready to be replaced, basking light, plant grow light
  • Temperature - Ambient 75°F, Basking 84°F, digital thermometer/hygrometer
  • Humidity - 30% ambient with higher spikes during mistings, 80% at humidifier which runs 24/7 during winter
  • Plants - Pothos, dracaena, umbrella, croton, also real wood vines and branches and fake vines
  • Placement - Corner of living room, low traffic
  • Location - Missouri

The Problem:
Over the last week, Ferdinand has been sleeping during the day progressively more and more. He is eating fine, drinking well, poops look normal, eyes, nose, and vent all look normal. I am going to take him to the vet as soon as I can get an appointment to have a check up and a fecal check done.

Anything else that jumps out or that I should have the vet check?

No wisdom-just wanted to tell you I am rooting for you and Ferdinand. Hope everything is OK.

Thank you, I really appreciate it. I suspect parasites since there are no other symptoms... but I am always open to advice from more experienced keepers.

I'm sorry Ferdinand isn't feeling well. I hope your vet can figure it out, and he's back to normal soon.

Hmmm, looks like you are doing everything right, so this is a mystery :confused:

Is there some reason he may not be sleeping at night?

Chams are notorius for hidding any illness, so he may be sick, or in pain, and
you would never know it :(

If there is something disturbing his sleep at night, I couldn't even guess what it could be. Lights go off at 7 pm, and we try to be respectful of his bedtime by turning off overhead lights too. His cage is heavily planted, so he usually sleeps under the giant pothos. Over the last weekend, Ferdie kept curling up and closing his eyes in his free range, so I knew something was wrong. Yesterday, he was asleep at 1pm. He did peep his eyes open occasionally, but it's definitely out of character.

I'm hoping the vet can figure it out.

Yeah, it sounds like he is sick :(
Good luck with the vet, please keep us posted what he/she says, and
dont forget to take a poop sample :eek:

Nothing useful. The little jerk went totally back to normal after I made this post :rolleyes:

Nothing concerning in the fecal check either.

I'm keeping an eye on him. Maybe he was feeling unwell for some reason for a few days, but it doesn't seem to have developed into anything. I'll probably take another fecal sample for review in a few weeks.

Glad to hear his vet check and fecal went well. Has the weather been overcast and dreary on the days he went to sleep during the day? I've noticed my little guy go to bed early on dark, crappy days.

update...worms...

Ferdinand has been acting completely normally over the last few weeks. Maybe eating a bit less than "normal", but it's been dreary and cold.

This week, I noticed in his feces a bunch of white spots. Broke it open, and they looked just like silkworm eggs. Kept it moist for a few days, lo and behold... worms. A light brown/pink round worm with a clear end, maybe 3/8" long, very wriggly. His last few droppings look like he is shedding dozens of eggs.

Back to the vet we go :(

No eggs in the fecal I took in. Blarg. I'm keeping an eye on him. If I find a fecal with eggs, I'll rush it to the vet. Without knowing more, I'm so hesitant to start giving him medicine. Although, the vet did say the dewormer is relatively gentle, especially compared to baytril.

I'd really like to know what type of worm it is. I know some worms are not necessarily an issue so long as the chameleon is healthy and the cage stay clean, while other worms are always a health issue.

Back
Top Bottom