Jackson's Agitated or Issue?

Bokaru

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Jackson's - Female - 6-9 Mo - In Care for 6 Months
  • Handling - 2-4 times monthly
  • Feeding - Crickets, Blue Bottles, Dubia, Horn Worm (medium). I normally feed once a day to once every other day 3-6 items. I'm feeding predominately dubias for the last two weeks because I ran out of other feeders. Before it was loose bottle flies and a few crickets or dubias by forceps daily. Horn worms are very infrequently. They get loaded with papaya, mango, carrot and a green mix (Mostly kale, I haven't made it in a while) I try to have feeders in a cup for her at all times, but she tends to like food from forceps or loose in the cage more.
  • Supplements - Reptical Calcium (No D3) every other day on a few of the feeders. Flukers Reptavitamin on a feeder or two every other day. Flukers Calcium + D3 on one or two feeders once a week.
  • Watering - I mist in the morning and around 4:00 PM normally 2-4 minutes, until everything gets pretty damp. I set up a dripper most days and I have a warm heat and ultrasonic humidifier I run most days. The warm humidifier is always on. I rarely see Tango drink.
  • Fecal Description - I see a lot of black droppings, some white streaks on normal bathroom locations but I don't see many urates. They are pure white though, no apparent discoloration. No parasite testing has been done.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Screen ReptiBreeze 16" x 16" x 30"
  • Lighting - CFL Reprisun 5.0, 40W Incandescent combo in the corner. Reptiglo 5.0 bar diagonal across the top of the enclosure. All lights run for 12 hr.
  • Temperature - Low point fluctuates between 70 - 76. Basking temp is normally 78 - 85. They are tested digitally with stationary probes. I am currently using a space heater to keep the room warm, which makes my humidity flucuate a decent amount.
  • Humidity - I try to monitor my humidity levels 3-4 times a day. Mornings are normally a bit dry; 45% at the lowest but normally 55% or above. I normally try to keep the humidity between 60 and 80% and tend to have pretty good success. The cage also sits over a basin to catch water which I drain on a weekly basis. I believe that this evaporates throughout the day as well.
  • Plants - Live plants schefflera arboricola, pothos, Fittonia verschaffeltii
  • Placement - Cage is located in our designated zoo, closed door, low traffic, in front of a plastic covered double pane window, no vents near. Top of cage is approximately 6' off the floor.
  • Location - North Central WV

Current Problem -
I imagine I am being a bit over careful, but I was doing my evening rounds and Tango appeared to be exhibiting some odd colors. I walked up slowly to inspect her and she jumped like I swung open the cage and grabbed at her. She wasn't keeping eye contact with me and had both her back feet dangling while her fronts and her tail was doing all the work.

She is normally getting ready for bed around this time and tends to be at least semi-vertical half way down the cage, but she was a bit lower than her normal basking spot. Her stomach also seemed to be sagging a bit, which looked different from when she puffs up for basking.

Shes a very pale green with black flecks that follow her normal streaks and then are slightly more frequent on her belly. I have seen the paleness, especially when shes going to bed, but never the black. At first I though she looked a bit lethargic, but when I attempted to check on her she puffed (still different than the sagging) up and opened he mouth defensively, which she has never done. I worried for a bit that it might have been thermal burn because I noticed her climbing on the ceiling earlier in the day, but I imagine it would be more than just black pigmentation and more of true burn splotches.

I had just cleaned the cage a bit the other day and rearranged things slightly, and wonder if this is just a temper tantrum, but she wasn't showing these colors earlier in the day. I just want to make sure I am catching something before it gets bad.

Thank you everyone!

Attachments

• 20170319_200744.jpg
    20170319_200744.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 146
  • 20170319_200759.jpg
    20170319_200759.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 159
  • 20170319_201008.jpg
    20170319_201008.jpg
    320.4 KB · Views: 134
The more I look at it, the more I wonder if she found a lower basking point. I clipped a bit of the schefflera yesterday, which would allow the light to shine further down. The heat at the normal basking spot is at 81 so she might be looking for something a bit cooler for later in the day? She is awfully bright for basking though. She normally leans the opposite direction when basking, but is a bit lazy with the leg positions when soaking rays. Still advice would be appreciated.

My male Jackson's tends to bask in on a vine that registers 78 instead of his branch that registers 80-82 later in the day. He likes the 80 spot first thing in the morning. Every once in a while I've caught him hanging with his tail wrapped around a vine, his front feet holding a branch and his back legs just dangling. He doesn't do it very long, and I've only seen it 2-3 times. I've also seen him turn dark green and jet black a few times, and he had a BM within 15-20 minutes of that. BM/urates look fine when this happens. I'm not sure if this helps, but some of the behaviors sound similar.

My male Jackson's tends to bask in on a vine that registers 78 instead of his branch that registers 80-82 later in the day. He likes the 80 spot first thing in the morning. Every once in a while I've caught him hanging with his tail wrapped around a vine, his front feet holding a branch and his back legs just dangling. He doesn't do it very long, and I've only seen it 2-3 times. I've also seen him turn dark green and jet black a few times, and he had a BM within 15-20 minutes of that. BM/urates look fine when this happens. I'm not sure if this helps, but some of the behaviors sound similar.
The more I observed the more I think I may have just caught her being cranky headed up to bed time. Good to know this behavior is similar to what you have seen as normal.

Maybe she's reaching sexual maturity?
I was wondering that as well, yet she is still a bit small. I imagine they still get a bit bigger after maturity?

I did just peek in on her sleeping and she appears to have dropped the dark colors completely. She's back to her normal sleeping colors, although still fairly slouchy. I'm guessing shes just trying to find a new sleeping roost. Thanks for the insight. I'll keep you all posted in the days to come.

Bad News; I checked on her today and she is exhibiting the same colors, very lethargic, barely opening eyes.
I showered her for about 10 minutes, she wouldn't drink.
I have her in an aquarium right now. Misted down, ultrasonic running, some roaches and a heat source opposite of the vine she is on.

Its very odd, it happened between like 8AM and 8PM yesterday. I hadn't seen any signs of an issue prior to seeing her late last night. I don't imagine its hunger or dehydration, but I'm not totally sure. I'm curious as to if it may be constipation. Her stomach is a bit wide.

Last edited:
Vet visit scheduled for tomorrow. We're hoping she'll make it through until then.

Attachments

• 20170320_101352.jpg
    20170320_101352.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 133
  • 20170320_101414.jpg
    20170320_101414.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 108
  • 20170320_101428.jpg
    20170320_101428.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 106
  • 20170320_101625.jpg
    20170320_101625.jpg
    276 KB · Views: 109
I was pretty certain I wasn't going to find any BM since I cleaned the cage the day before, but I lucked out. Looks like it could be some sort of digestive issue? I'm assuming she hasn't been drinking well in the days prior as the urea is starting to yellow a bit. The one that concerns me is the second movement. She normally doesn't go multiple times in a day. Its also kind of oddly shaped. Maybe having a hard time digesting the dubias?

Attachments

• 20170320_103731.jpg
    20170320_103731.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 105
  • 20170320_103751.jpg
    20170320_103751.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 131
I gave her some resting time in the aquarium 70-75 F and 63 - 80% humidity. I placed her basking lamp about 4" over her with a timer to kick the heat on and off every 30 minutes. She seems to be getting a bit more strength. Shes looking around and is not quite as slouchey. She will not eat or take water yet. I'm running out to the store to grab some eggs and ensure (already have pedialyte). I imagine juicing will be in my future if we pull through.

Checked on Tango and she is on the move. Practically jet black though and quite a bit cold from moving away from the lamp. I took her out of the aquarium and placed her back into her normal enclosure with all the humidity running. Shes not in an ideal spot, but close to her basking point. Hopefully shell move over here in a bit and show some better colors. Her grip is good, and is looking around a lot, she just seems a bit disoriented.

Are you sure of her age? Could she be older and have been with a male before you got her? I'm wondering if she's gravid.

Are you sure of her age? Could she be older and have been with a male before you got her? I'm wondering if she's gravid.
Unless its her hitting maturity and a reaction from that, (could this be a possibility? Not sure if they exhibit similar behavior at maturity) I would say not. We raised her from what we were told as 3 months old. We have have had her for 6 months since then.

Tango Update!

She is doing SO much better today!! Green all day, strong grip, and she travels like a champ! The vet's exam went very well, nothing physically wrong and her fecal came back clean. We decided since she was doing well to try feeding her with a supplement that has medicine in it. (I can't remember it exactly and it's not written on the bottle/labels, whoops!). If she doesn't start eating/drinking on her own in 48 hours, we're going back in for xrays and blood work.

She took two crickets when I got home. Wont eat any more than that. Drip and a feeding cup offered in front of her although she isn't drinking quite yet. I decided to attempt baby steps. This time was to accept food, next will be medicated dust. She had a healthy BM. Nothing overly large and urate was large and pure white, albeit a bit runny. Hopefully we're coming out of the woods.

Back
Top Bottom