Jacksonii or hoehnelii

Klaudiemo

Established Member
Hello guys,
I just set up 40x47x20 inch enclosure for new family member. The whole cage was being prepared for one year old trioceros jacksonii male. But the breeder just called me, that he have some cb t. hoehnelii. Both of those chams are gorgeous. I just can't decide which one would be better choice. My main concern is the night temperature drop. From what I understand, jacksonii chameleons need drop to about 50-60 degrees. And hoehnellii need different temperatures during winter and summer nights. On one site, I read that summer night temperature for them should be around 70 degrees and winter night drops should be around 50 degrees. Is that correct? I am quite confident with keeping jackson chameleon. Hoehnelii (or helmet chameleons) on the other hand, were always my dream. If I decide for hoehnelii, I would have to study about them. If that scenario was the case, is there somebody who is experienced with them? Which one would you choose if you were me?

Are you talking about T. jacksonii jacksonii or T. jacksonii xantholophus?

All species listed above need a substantial night drop, but hoehnelii need more of a drop than what the jacksonii need. I try to get mine as cold as I can inside. Usually around 52 is what I can achieve. But this needs to be coupled with high humidity. That is the hardest part about keeping hoehnelii. Our methods for dropping temps successfully is with A/C and this dries the air substantially. I have noticed that my hoehnelii are the happiest in our winter time when I can keep them outside. Days in the high 60's and nights in the 40's. But, another issues with hoehnelii is that they are from such high altitudes, they are very very active baskers. So, you have to keep cool temps with accessible basking. This temperature gradient is a must for them to be healthy. It is not the easiest thing in the world to accomplish.

Hoehnelii can be a very rewarding species and now that more are coming in Farm Raised from Kenya, keepers can get better at keeping them. So, all are a good choice, just know that the hoehnelii require more in order for you to see a true thriving specimen. You can keep them alive in other conditions, but they will not be happy nor will they reproduce.

Are you talking about T. jacksonii jacksonii or T. jacksonii xantholophus?

All species listed above need a substantial night drop, but hoehnelii need more of a drop than what the jacksonii need. I try to get mine as cold as I can inside. Usually around 52 is what I can achieve. But this needs to be coupled with high humidity. That is the hardest part about keeping hoehnelii. Our methods for dropping temps successfully is with A/C and this dries the air substantially. I have noticed that my hoehnelii are the happiest in our winter time when I can keep them outside. Days in the high 60's and nights in the 40's. But, another issues with hoehnelii is that they are from such high altitudes, they are very very active baskers. So, you have to keep cool temps with accessible basking. This temperature gradient is a must for them to be healthy. It is not the easiest thing in the world to accomplish.

Hoehnelii can be a very rewarding species and now that more are coming in Farm Raised from Kenya, keepers can get better at keeping them. So, all are a good choice, just know that the hoehnelii require more in order for you to see a true thriving specimen. You can keep them alive in other conditions, but they will not be happy nor will they reproduce.

Thank you for long reply. It was really helpfull. I am probably going to get a jackson chameleon (t. jacksonii xantholophus). I have long experience with panther chameleons, so I want to try something new. Hoehnelii is next on my list. I have to gain more experience with mountain species and I feel like jackson chameleon is the better start. Thank you again for your help. I will post photos of my new buddy and his new set up soon :))

Back
Top Bottom