jacksonii merumontanus

yes, I believe there is a demand for this species but I don't think there's enough interest to buy all 15 pairs.
if the price is right i'd like a pair, i've been waiting for some to come in.

Last edited:
I can't imagine the interest is not there. I would say they would go pretty quick depending on the cost. They are scarce in the us. Any idea of what the cost would be for a pair? I saw a 1.3 group a week ago on king snake for $429.

I have been working on a shipment of these and I know that the interest is here for 15 pairs but cost seems to be the big factor. Also several members have cb baby's that will be for sale in the next 2-3 months so that is also a factor. I would love to see these come in if they are at the right price as I also want 2-3 pair.

i think the biggest thing with them is the cost, the 1.2 on KS was gone with the snap of a finger. the price was really good though $325 :eek:

I would be interested in at least a pair, depending on cost. I actually purchased the group last week off of KS, but by the time everything got sorted out there was only a pair left. When I got the pair the female was in really bad shape and only made it about 24 hrs, but the seller was great and is making good on it.
I still ended up with a great little male, I'm guessing about 5 months old.

Attachments

• IMG_20140118_124744_496.jpg
    IMG_20140118_124744_496.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 171
Prices in Europe are more or less the same between 250 and 300e a pair(in the UK even higher )but if if you count the costs of shipping plus paperwork plus taxes it will be another 700 to 800e extra so that's not really an interesting deal i guess:rolleyes:
Nice to hear the breeding goes really well in the US :)

That comes out to about 3400 or 230 usd per pair. Considering the reduded risk in not dealing with an unknow expoter... that's not a bad deal.

Jason

Prices in Europe are more or less the same between 250 and 300e a pair(in the UK even higher )but if if you count the costs of shipping plus paperwork plus taxes it will be another 700 to 800e extra so that's not really an interesting deal i guess:rolleyes:
Nice to hear the breeding goes really well in the US :)

I bought some from the import Paul did in Nov 2012. I think the price was $325 ea. There were quite a few sold but they came in in rough shape, horns broken and some had frostbite. I'm not sure how many from that import are still around, I still have 4 of the 5 I bought. I think they were a bit too expensive but CB Meru's we're not available at the time or really anytime here in the US.

There are several people that have breeding groups and babies now so some CB's should be available soon.

I would not buy wild caught Meru's. They are very difficult to keep alive if not in really good shape, which very few are.

The wc we received where from an outstanding quality(the picture i post is from one of the wc from last shipment)
If you give them the right care and you start with quality animal's you will not lose ore hardly lose one.

The wc we received where from an outstanding quality(the picture i post is from one of the wc from last shipment)
If you give them the right care and you start with quality animal's you will not lose ore hardly lose one.

That's great. Most of the ones I've seen here are far from outstanding.

That's great. Most of the ones I've seen here are far from outstanding.

If you import wc animals you need to have a very good contact with the exporter and if possible fly to the farm(like we do) do handpick them out personally this makes a huge difference in quality,plus reducing stress as much as possible and give them the best care during acclimatisation (split up as much as possible)
Bad quality animals had a hard time during transport its difficult to get them back (if not impossible)in a good condition.

That comes out to about 3400 or 230 usd per pair. Considering the reduded risk in not dealing with an unknow expoter... that's not a bad deal.

Jason

Im sorry I'm must be doing the math wrong but here goes.
300 euros x 1.37 yesterday's rate of exchange comes to $411.00 US dollars. Add 800 euros x 1.37 is $1096. That's $73.00 per pair for 15 pair shipping per pair. I think shipping,broker fees,license fees,permits etc that's probably about only 2/3 of what the total costs would actually be but then cost per pair would be $484.00. Now someone has to put up the $ to do the deal and then get the animals in,re hydrate,feed,sell,take payment,ship ete etc etc. What's a fair profit for ALL the risk financially and all the work involved? Now if my math is correct and I still think the costs besides animal cost will be higher then using the above figures but let's use them for an example. $484.00 per pair x 15 pair is $7260.00. Now who would put up that kind of $$$$ and do all that work for free? By my math that is raw minimum cost of $242.00 per animal/$484.00 per pair. This also has no room for ANY loss of any animal or anything else that can and often does go wrong. At these costs most people would have to sell each pair at $800.00 to $850.00 to make what is considered a fair profit.
BTW Jason I am not directing this at you and do not want any one to think I'm being negative towards anyone. I'm just trying to figure this out and your post was just a starting point so please do not mis understand my intent. If my figures are wrong someone help me out here as I have been trying to figure out how this could be done as I and many others would love to get some nice Meru in to the country. We all know/know of/ Jurgen and I'm sure EVERYONE knows he gets high quality animals so if I'm wrong with my math please let me know.
I'm open for comments/suggestions as to how this could be done.
Steve

300 euros x 1.37 yesterday's rate of exchange comes to $411.00 US dollars. Add 800 euros x 1.37 is $1096. That's $73.00 per pair for 15 pair shipping per pair. I think shipping,broker fees,license fees,permits etc that's probably about only 2/3 of what the total costs would actually be but then cost per pair would be $484.00. Now someone has to put up the $ to do the deal and then get the animals in,re hydrate,feed,sell,take payment,ship ete etc etc. What's a fair profit for ALL the risk financially and all the work involved? Now if my math is correct and I still think the costs besides animal cost will be higher then using the above figures but let's use them for an example. $484.00 per pair x 15 pair is $7260.00. Now who would put up that kind of $$$$ and do all that work for free? By my math that is raw minimum cost of $242.00 per animal/$484.00 per pair. This also has no room for ANY loss of any animal or anything else that can and often does go wrong. At these costs most people would have to sell each pair at $800.00 to $850.00 to make what is considered a fair profit.
BTW Jason I am not directing this at you and do not want any one to think I'm being negative towards anyone. I'm just trying to figure this out and your post was just a starting point so please do not mis understand my intent. If my figures are wrong someone help me out here as I have been trying to figure out how this could be done as I and many others would love to get some nice Meru in to the country. We all know/know of/ Jurgen and I'm sure EVERYONE knows he gets high quality animals so if I'm wrong with my math please let me know.
Steve

That's the calculation i made from the beginning Steve.
Like i sad because the price at the start is the same as the selling price in the US(or a little higer)plus counting all the extra costs will not make it a good deal i guess ...

Steve thanks for doing the math! Re export never really comes out to be a good deal since all the extra fee's add so much cost.

Carl

Steve

Steve

Thanks for elaborating more about the issue. Great job.

Jeremy A. Rich

Thank You Jeremy,
I would like to have been able to bring those in but I didn't feel like our market here would be good at those prices. Everyone is accustomed to the lower priced wild caught animals. Everyone should know its a roll of the dice in most cases with these wc Meru as so many are in such bad condition when they are finally available. I will continue to look as I want to get some more new blood for our cb breeding population in this country. I'm also looking for more Jacksoni to add to my own breeding group as well. I will say one thing for the keepers in Europe, they are very fortunate to have the variety and quality of Chameleons that they do. I wish and hope someday we will be that fortunate.
Thanks again,
Steve

Back
Top Bottom