Jacksonii Jacksonii giving birth to un-formed babies

I do not know what lamps are good now days, breed fruit flies, have like 5 kultures on line right away to rotate in between. Keep one going and 4 on cold so they don´t runt out in the mean while. pinhead crickets, bean beatles. A vitamin in oil form once month like a drop to each. temps should be lower like 23-25 for babies. foliage, they need to get away from the light otherwise they get eye problems. I recomend not to keep them in tubes which reflect alot of the light due their eyes being sensitive, but thats just me. I like this instruction although some of that have now been challange I think it can be followed for the most part, just have the humidity thing as fod a night and drier at day, spray their cage like 3 times a day.
(1) Jacksons Chameleon Video - YouTube this video

Sad update. We had to put Cosmo down today. She had an x-ray and ultrasound at the vet today and they discovered her uterus ruptured and her abdomen was full of fluid. It wasn't likely that she would survive a surgery to repair. We did the best we could for her, and put her to sleep.
Thank you everyone for your advice!

Sad update. We had to put Cosmo down today. She had an x-ray and ultrasound at the vet today and they discovered her uterus ruptured and her abdomen was full of fluid. It wasn't likely that she would survive a surgery to repair. We did the best we could for her, and put her to sleep.
Thank you everyone for your advice!
Oh that´s fucked up. Sorry man, not much that could be done. What else did the vet told you?

She said that she probably had too many in her little body, as they grew, she ruptured. Just an unlucky thing that couldn't have been prevented. The reptile surgeon there said she wouldn't have survived any surgical intervention.
Thanks for everyone's kind words.
😔

I only say this for future readers of this thread. This is not meant to shame the OP in any way as they were lied to or the seller was inexperienced with this species and told them that she was a male. Females need to be restricted in their food intake or they can have overly large clutches with dire consequences just like other species. There is no way the OP could have known.
I lost one of my virgin females to uterine rupture when she attempted to pass an overly large slug. I know other breeders this has happened to as well. I have to be very careful to keep my females lean.
Again I am so sorry for your loss you did your very best by her.

I only say this for future readers of this thread. This is not meant to shame the OP in any way as they were lied to or the seller was inexperienced with this species and told them that she was a male. Females need to be restricted in their food intake or they can have overly large clutches with dire consequences just like other species. There is no way the OP could have known.
I lost one of my virgin females to uterine rupture when she attempted to pass an overly large slug. I know other breeders this has happened to as well. I have to be very careful to keep my females lean.
I’ve wondered about this with live bearers. I also wonder why so many female Jackson’s are sold gravid.

I’ve wondered about this with live bearers. I also wonder why so many female Jackson’s are sold gravid.
From what I understand now, most are wild caught or kept with males (Petco and Petsmart are notorious for this). They hold onto sperm for months, so even if they aren't gravid when they are sold, they can "become" pregnant.
I'm sure someone can correct me if I'm wrong!

Most are wild imports and are kept together prior to export and things get wild in the wild before that. Less scrupulous flippers keep them in group cages as well. I raise my babies in individual cages from the first week so my females don't have surprise births. I also don't sell chameleons un-sexed.

This makes so much sense. The store I bought her from told me she was eating 8 crickets a day. She only kept up with that for about a week when we brought her home. She went down to maybe 4 a day after that for a week and then stopped. That's when I came online for help and was told she was a gravid female. It was probably too late at that point. :(

There was nothing you could have done at that point to change events. I'm sorry I didn't recognize the aborted feti as part of this syndrome to better prepare you for this possibility.
The fault entirely lies with the exporter and sellers.
Hoping this can be a learning experience so others can avoid this situation.
The store we got her from is taking some responsibility and is reimbursing us for the cost of the chameleon. Nice, but it doesn't cover our heartbreak.
We'll get another when we are ready. And I'll make sure it's a male from a reputable breeder this time!

Back
Top Bottom