Jacksonator V2 (Temp & Humidity controller)

broderp

Avid Member
I've been testing a cost effective controller for over a year now and it has performed flawlessly on my veiled's terrarium. When I got my second cham I wanted a second so I updated the design and switched over to a DC control of the circuit with some basic logic to drive the outputs.

I was testing V2 until my poor cham passed away. It had been working for over 2 months at this point with no issues. I realized I had not shared this with teh form, and so thought I would share this project and maybe get opinions and comments on what people may want in a cheap, low cost controller. I have been toying with the idea of making these since the 1st version.

The Jacksonator V2 (named after my first cham "Jackson" (who is a veiled chameleon BTW) simplifies my daily routine as it controls both temp and humidity.
I used "off the shelf" components to keep the cost down. I lade out the design and features based on my requirements and what I didn't see on many "premium" units at what I considered a affordable price. PLus, as an Engineer, this was a fun project to work on! ;)

FRONT VIEW
full

Aside from the controller modules with their own setting and controls, there are two switches. These switches allow the heat and humidly controllers to function independently in 3 modes:
  • ON- output is on regardless of control module setting. I've used this to turn on lights or heat/ humidly to test, clean etc.
  • OFF - This setting disables the controllers output, but the controllers still stay lit to display current temp and humidity.
  • AUTO - Normal mode of operation, the outputs of the controllers are passed to the rear outlets to control lights, heat lamps humidifiers etc.
REAR VIEW
full

The rear of the Jacksonator is where I felt most low cost controllers were lacking.
  • Master Power Switch - turns off or on the unit.
  • AC In Fuse - Replaceable 15A fuse for the 3 outlets
  • Internal Fuse - (not shown) Internal fuse for the control circuit is replaceable.
  • Removable Power Cord - Removable for easy setup and tear-down.
  • Temp Sensor - Removable for easy setup and tear-down.
  • Humidity Sensor - Removable for easy setup and tear-down.
  • Heat Out Receptacle - x2 so you can use this with a combination of heat and light devices (5A ea)
  • Humidity Out Receptacle - 5A output for humidifier
The LIGHT SENSE CONTROL adds flexibility to the system. (in the blue area) This control can be enabled or disabled.
  • When disabled, the outputs from both the temp and humidity controllers are active 24/7. If either controller calls for heat or humidity, you get an output. There may be some times this would be desirable.
  • When enabled, (and with sensor plugged in) when the lights go out, the sensor module disables the output to the back panel AC sockets. This way you can control the temp and humidity during the day, but at night although the sensors are monitoring and maybe calling for heat or humidity, the light sense will prevent output.
Coupled with the front panel control switches, the system is fairly flexible. I was using it in the following manor:
  • Ceramic head bulb (no light) on first AC output
  • UVB bulb on second AC output
  • Humidifier on humidifier output
  • LED lights attached to timer (separate project, future thread on this! :cool:)
I have the controllers set to maintain 93 degrees (at the highest spot accessible by my cham) and a humidity with a very wide hysteresis that would allow the humidly to drop to 25-30% before bringing it slowly back up to 70% max (65% set point). In the am, when the timer turns on the LEDs lights, this triggers the light sense which begins the head and humidly cycle thru out the day. IN the evening, when the lights goes out, the circuit shuts off the heat and humidity until the next morning.

This works for me as even in the winter time, my home is about 66 degrees in the evening when we go to bed. Warm enough for a sleeping cham! :p

So what do you guy/ gals think? Comments or suggestions are welcome.

Back
Top Bottom