jackson turning rocks?

dandnepr

I live in Hawaii, I have an outdoor enclosure housing local feral jacksons. I have observed one walking around on ground with mouth half open turning rocks with horns, first one way, then he rolls it the other way. when a bug is spotted he'd move back a bit and then sling his tongue out. He always rolls the rock twice unless he gets bug on the first turn. He stops the behavior if he sees me. Has anyone seen this hunting behavior before?

Really sounds like fascinating behaviour. Most of the scientific resources I've ever come across have described chams as 'sit-and-wait' predators, and although we've seen active hunting in our enclosures (think juvenile Veileds), I don't recall ever hearing of hunting that was THAT active.

Do you think you could get a video cam set up that could film the cham doing that?

I'm getting out my popcorn and waiting for the scientists to chime in :) This is sure to be an interesting thread.

The jackson's that exhibited the behavior (Big Red) died a couple of days ago from complications after receiving a bee sting to the eye. I think my other one does it too but stops when I approach. He often has dirt on his horns.

I live in Hawaii, I have an outdoor enclosure housing local feral jacksons. I have observed one walking around on ground with mouth half open turning rocks with horns, first one way, then he rolls it the other way. when a bug is spotted he'd move back a bit and then sling his tongue out. He always rolls the rock twice unless he gets bug on the first turn. He stops the behavior if he sees me. Has anyone seen this hunting behavior before?

When I was in hawaii, I use to let my male cruise around in the grass, and he would use his horns for turning stuff as well. I believe they do also do this hunting for snails.

Wow, thats crazy! You should definitely try to film your remaining chameleon doing that. I would love to see it! I'm sorry to hear about Big Red by the way, that is so sad:(.

a few of my little boy jax rearrange the rocks in the plants i have in their cages. several others (including my girls) have had dirt in/around their mouth like they were digging/eating something in the dirt (but i don't think there was anything in the dirt as they are in indoor cages.

i was a little surprised to find them doing this - didn't know if it was normal and haven't had the time to ask; glad you brought it up.

sorry to hear about the bee sting that killed yours:(

Thanx for sympathy, Many Jax seem to get stung that way here. We have very docile bees (I am a beekeeper) and they land on the jax. When the jax moves it's eyes the bees panic and sting. My pets are VERY afraid of bees and will move quick to avoid them.

Sorry to hear about Big Red. I would love to see a video of that. Maybe you can bribe the one you have into co-operating.

Debby

I have a picture of my Jackson butting a big rock with his horns trying to flip it. I believe it's a
natural form of hunting for them.
I'm sorry about Big Red too... :{

Back
Top Bottom