jackson having tail problems

Razzmo

My jackson has had bits from something for awhile i have been meds on it but now it has gotten worse and its nothing but bone is it going to fall off or what it looks bad horneys tail.jpg bettter pic tail again.jpg please help very worried for him

when you say bits, I am assuming you mean bites? Do you leave any live prey in the cage at night such as crickets? I don't know if they could do that type of damage to a tail like that. Are you sure it didn't get caught in something because it looks black. You say he is on meds, so you saw a vet then, or are you trying to treat this yourself?

My cham has the same problem! I was told to dip it in iodine solution and it did help the tail to dry up and fall off- but it is getting worse and seems to be spreading up the tail. This has been ongoing for weeks and I am very worried. He does have crickets in his enclosure. Could it be that they are biting it? I never see them around his tail- should i switch to baby crickets?

There is a dry gangrene that chameleons can get at the end of the tail. You need to see a vet if that's what it is because it will just keep spreading further up the tail without treatment.

From what I know the crickets only bite at night when the chams are sleeping, but I could be wrong. (anyone correct me on this please) If the tail is getting worse, my question is, have you taken your chameleon to a vet?

My jackson has had bits from something for awhile i have been meds on it but now it has gotten worse and its nothing but bone is it going to fall off or what it looks bad View attachment 27776 bettter pic View attachment 27778 please help very worried for him

At this point you'll need to take him to a vet. Part of the tail may need to be amputated to stop the necrosis from spreading. It's just going to keep getting worse without treatment.

My cham has the same problem! I was told to dip it in iodine solution and it did help the tail to dry up and fall off- but it is getting worse and seems to be spreading up the tail. This has been ongoing for weeks and I am very worried. He does have crickets in his enclosure. Could it be that they are biting it? I never see them around his tail- should i switch to baby crickets?

Crickets (doesn't matter what age) feed at night when the cham is asleep so you are not likely to see it happening. If you keep loose crix in a cham cage you MUST provide them with food or they can and will snack on a sleeping lizard. They might have bitten the tail at some point, but when necrosis (dry gangrene) sets in it can just keep expanding over time.

Both of the people that said they had this porblem need to go to the vet. It's very likely that the tail tip needs to be amputated a little above the necrotic tissue and then treated with antibiotics to prevent the tissue death from spreading into the rest of their body.

I brought him to the vet. They gave him an injection of antibiotics and told me to put triple antibiotic ointment on it. It didn't seem to work. So- I went back to using the iodine. They charged me $70. I am reluctant to go back, because the vet didn't seem too familier with chams. I need to find a reptile vet in the NYC area, but have been unsuccessful.

I brought him to the vet. They gave him an injection of antibiotics and told me to put triple antibiotic ointment on it. It didn't seem to work. So- I went back to using the iodine. They charged me $70. I am reluctant to go back, because the vet didn't seem too familier with chams. I need to find a reptile vet in the NYC area, but have been unsuccessful.

How do you know it isn't working? Chams take a long time to respond to medications due to a slow metabolism. Stopping antibiotics before the prescribed time is up is asking for trouble...the remaining bacteria can become resistant to the drug and be even harder to eradicate.

I'm completely with Carlton, use the antibiotics until the regiment is over. Stoping early is something you should never do with antibiotics.

sorry for the confusion- I am not stopping the antibiotic. it was a one time injection. The dried area did fall off, but it seems to be spreading up his tail- so thats why i said that it doesnt seem to working- or improving and i am not sure what steps to tkae next.

Oh ok. If the necrosis is spreading, you need to nip that in the butt ASAP! You don't want it to reach his torso. See if you can find another vet in your area that might know a little more about reptiles. And if not, see if you can make it to a different city because this is like a death sentence you can see working its way along! A big of his tail might need to be amputated.

Back
Top Bottom