Jackson+fruit and veggies

Blueberry2223

Can you feed your Jackson chameleon fruits and veggies? I heard of feeding them to veiled but can Jackson eat them too?

I'm sure they CAN, it's just a matter of their willingness to eat them! :D That's why gutloading is so important - Without it, chameleons wouldn't get the nutrition they need from fruits and veggies :)

So if your jacksons is willing to eat fruits and veggies, let him/her! If not, don't force it.

Both my male and female are always munching on my ficus that I have in their cage. Now off to get some veggies and fruit for them. :D

I doubt the jacksons will eat any fruits or veggies... Its worth a try, yours may be unique, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. Vields are the only chams I have seen readily eat fruits and veggies

Both my male and female are always munching on my ficus that I have in their cage. Now off to get some veggies and fruit for them. :D

It isn't normal for them to chew on Ficus. They may be desperate for something (moisture, nutrients), so tell us more about how you care for them...watering, feeding, gutloading, supplements, etc.

I have not seen a Jackson east plants or fruits or veggies. It would be a very good idea for you to fill out the how to ask for help fort and post pics of your chams.

How to ask for help

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Jackson, Male and Female, and don't really know real age. I have had them in my care for 2 months
Handling - Almost every day :eek:
Feeding - I feed them 4-8 crickets every other day. I Gut-load them with Zilla cricket and insect food
Supplements - exo-terra pure calcium use every feeding rep-cal calcium with D3 dust the crickets with this on the 15th of every month exo-terra 1/2 and 1/2 multi vitamin and calcium with d3 use every 18th of the month
Watering - I have a reptifogger that is always on I also have an automatic mister that goes off every 3 hours for 1 minute. I see them drinking all the time.
Fecal Description - They are always white and black. They have never been tested for parasites as far as I know.
History - They use to sleep during the day but it was because I was over supplementing them but I fixed that.

sounds oki I don´t know what that gutload have you may need to check it up, also 1 minut sounds to short, try to mist for longer periods, take som pop sampels and check it for parasites, can you put any pictures?

Last edited:
First off, I believe you are over supplementing them.

But more importantly, you need the mister to go off more frequently.

I have my mister set for every 2 hours for 2 minutes, and my female veiled still gets a bit dehydrated at times.

I suggest doing it every hour to every 2 hours and have it go off for that amount of time, if not even longer.

Jacksons LOVE water, and some are tricky to get to drink, so many jax owners have their misters go off for much longer periods of time,

You can feed fruits and vegetables to your cham but in a limited quantity.
It isn't normal for them to chew on Ficus. They may be desperate for something, so tell us more about how you care for them...watering, feeding, gutloading, supplements, etc.

You can feed fruits and vegetables to your cham but in a limited quantity.
It isn't normal for them to chew on Ficus. They may be desperate for something, so tell us more about how you care for them...watering, feeding, gutloading, supplements, etc.

While eating fruits and veggies is true for some chameleons such as veiled chameleons, it is not for Jacksons. Also some do chew on ficus, but not Jacksons. Please be sure you have accurate info before stating is, as many people will read it as fact. If a Jackson is eating vegetation there may be something wrong.

First off, I believe you are over supplementing them.

But more importantly, you need the mister to go off more frequently.

I have my mister set for every 2 hours for 2 minutes, and my female veiled still gets a bit dehydrated at times.

I suggest doing it every hour to every 2 hours and have it go off for that amount of time, if not even longer.

Jacksons LOVE water, and some are tricky to get to drink, so many jax owners have their misters go off for much longer periods of time,

My Jackson typically doesn't start drinking until the mister has been on for a few minutes. I have a 2-5 minute mist in the morning, two 10 minute sessions in the middle of the day, and a 3 minute about 2.5 hours before lights off,

Back
Top Bottom