Jackson chemelon

Panther678

So recently I learned about the Jackson chemelon so cool. It looks like a triceratops omg. I've researched slightly into the care requirements and understand it needs a drop at night and this is something I can do in the UK because of how cold it can get at night and the humidity is something that seems achievable. Is this chemelon good for a beginner or is it too difficult for beginners. It looks so cool if I do get one I'm gonna name it tricera.? Never knew there was a chemelon like this is there a reason for its horn, I presume for mating.

They are so cool and when the males fight for the chance to impress and mate with ladies they look like triceratops battling. They do seem to be a little more complicated to take care of than panthers and vieleds. Definitely do your research: use the search function on this forum to see what other keepers have gone through and read through the chameleon academy site that Beman linked to up above. Get your cage and everything set up nicely before getting your chameleon, and get feedback from folks here. If you do all that you'll be in good shape!

I should add don't get one from a chain pet store they will likely be wild caught or inbred and already sick before you bring them home. It will become a heart breaking expensive to fix situation. Buy captive bred from a reputable breeder.
We can either find you one here or on facebook Jackson groups.

I should add don't get one from a chain pet store they will likely be wild caught or inbred and already sick before you bring them home. It will become a heart breaking expensive to fix situation. Buy captive bred from a reputable breeder.
We can either find you one here or on facebook Jackson groups.
Ok so no reptile shops, I'm rethinking my decision anyway because of the high humidity levels.

Day time humidity can sit in the 35- 50% zone, live plants and a few mistings can accomplish this in most homes. If not wrap a side or three of the cage in plastic shower curtain or something similar.
Getting the 80-100% over night is easy with a small room ultrasonic cool mist humidifier. Pipe the humidifier directly into the cage. This is where the slightly deeper pockets comes in. It's to add the humidifier to your cage.

Day time humidity can sit in the 35- 50% zone, live plants and a few mistings can accomplish this in most homes. If not wrap a side or three of the cage in plastic shower curtain or something similar.
Getting the 80-100% over night is easy with a small room ultrasonic cool mist humidifier. Pipe the humidifier directly into the cage. This is where the slightly deeper pockets comes in. It's to add the humidifier to your cage.
Ah okay so its the night time that the humidity needs to be higher. Thanks for that info I was confused about that. Although I think I should stick to a panther or veiled for now then get a Jackson when I have more experience.

I've researched slightly into the care requirements and understand it needs a drop at night and this is something I can do in the UK because of how cold it can get at night and the humidity is something that seems achievable.
I'm really glad you're aware of that. I cannot provide that, and that's the exact reason I had to cross Jackson's off my list. :(

Is this chemelon good for a beginner or is it too difficult for beginners. It looks so cool if I do get one I'm gonna name it tricera.? Never knew there was a chemelon like this is there a reason for its horn, I presume for mating.
There are chameleons with 1, 2, 3, and 4 horns, though IDK about availability or care.

Whether any particular species—or chams in general—are suitable for beginners is IMO a subjective question.

I'm really glad you're aware of that. I cannot provide that, and that's the exact reason I had to cross Jackson's off my list. :(

There are chameleons with 1, 2, 3, and 4 horns, though IDK about availability or care.

Whether any particular species—or chams in general—are suitable for beginners is IMO a subjective question.
I think I will more than likely be considering a Jackson or panther. I really like Jacksons. How cold should it get exactly at night for Jacksons.

Last edited:
I try to go for 60 F if I can most of the year but I always at least get down into the high 60's. or less than 21 C. There are ways of dropping the cage temperature at night.
The cool mist humidifier can help a degree or two if your house has low humidity. The ice filled fan can work and placing Ice packs on the cage top so that the cold flows down through the cage. Most of the horned chameleons that I know of like a night time temperature drop. Most chameleons in general like some kind of night time drop to recharge their metabolism.

The sources I've read recommend a 20° (F) drop at night. In some ways I think this may be easier than a specific temp, especially in places where the ambient or daytime temps may fluctuate with seasons.

Ah okay a lot of sites says it should remain 60 to 80 and other say differently. Well I checked right know in kenya and its 47 percent.

As far as I know Jacksons are a bit more difficult to keep than veileds and panthers. Not because of what it requires, it only has a difference in humidity levels and husbandry and all that stuff and that’s easy once you catch the routine if you know what I mean. Did you know females straight up give birth to the baby jacksons? They don’t lay eggs!
If you get a Jackson, I suggest 100% you get a male as females tend to be a bit more difficult, even more knowing that this breed of chameleons are a tiny bit more sensitive and that’s what makes them require more attention. They don’t take mistakes as easy as veileds do, for example. Just research and prepare your terrarium before getting a jackson, ask on here, and I recommend you watch Neptune the chameleon’s channel.

As far as I know Jacksons are a bit more difficult to keep than veileds and panthers. Not because of what it requires, it only has a difference in humidity levels and husbandry and all that stuff and that’s easy once you catch the routine if you know what I mean. Did you know females straight up give birth to the baby jacksons? They don’t lay eggs!
If you get a Jackson, I suggest 100% you get a male as females tend to be a bit more difficult, even more knowing that this breed of chameleons are a tiny bit more sensitive and that’s what makes them require more attention. They don’t take mistakes as easy as veileds do, for example. Just research and prepare your terrarium before getting a jackson, ask on here, and I recommend you watch Neptune the chameleon’s channel.
Yeah I've been watching all her videos.

Ah okay a lot of sites says it should remain 60 to 80 and other say differently. Well I checked right know in kenya and its 47 percent.
Tje data from the climatic stations do not nexessarikynreflect trulybrhe sata from rheir habitat.
The uumidiry at saytime in dey season can gonunder 40^c ejile during rainy season cam stay over 50

Own onservation in the wild

Tje data from the climatic stations do not nexessarikynreflect trulybrhe sata from rheir habitat.
The uumidiry at saytime in dey season can gonunder 40^c ejile during rainy season cam stay over 50

Own onservation in the wild
What do you think would be good during the day then 45ish.

Back
Top Bottom