Chemelons and humidity

Panther678

Do all chemelons require high humidity at night. I understand they Jacksons do and I presume that Panthers do as well cause it's the Madagascar and its gets foggy at night. What about veilied chemelons. The reason why I just want the humidity in the enclosure and not the whole room to increase because the higher humidity increases the amount of dustmites and one of my family members is allergic to them.
The ideal level of moisture should be around 40-60% and any level beyond this allows microorganisms like dust mites, mold, mildew, bacteria and viruses to breed in our environment.
But I presume that humidity can be held in the enclosure at night for a Jackson with clear shower curtain. The humidity in my house is around 30 to 50 and I believe this is perfect for Jacksons and veilied during the day.

Last edited:
You can just mist heavier to get them hydrated. The fogging does seem to work for all chameleons that we keep, but they can also be hydrated through misting. Fogging is a relatively new method to the hobby. I had the same issue as you where my parson's is kept. They're an even higher humidity species and he has been doing fine for a few years now with just mistings.

You're completely right about not getting above 60% humidity in a room for long periods. Mold damage is a real pain in the ass.

What about veilied chemelons.
Humidity rises to 100% at night in Yemen as well. If you cover two sides with a shower curtain, I don't think the humidity in the room will rise drastically. Even if it did rise a little over 60%, the important part to not have mold is to have it dry out in between humidity spikes.

Back
Top Bottom