Jackson Chameleon male or female?

Hey everybody, I really need some help in determining the sex of my jackson chameleon. I purchased what I was told to be a male around the middle of October of 2013 and the chameleon was only around 4 inches from nose to tail. The small "male" had three very small horns as observed on male Jackson Chameleons (two ocular and one rostral) when I purchased him. I have now had the chameleon for about 6 and a half months now, the chameleon has grown to right under 8 inches nose to tail and is totally healthy, however the growth of the horns has been slim to none. When looking at other pictures of male Jackson chameleons they seem to have more prominent horns than my chameleon at 3.5 months or 5 months. I began to think I may have been misinformed by the pet store and have a female on my hands. I read that females can sometimes have all three horns that are very small. However my chameleon exhibits characteristics of a male based on literature,

1) Very vibrant coloration. light pastel greens, yellows and shades of blue popping out around his crest and face now. My chameleon is never displays brown or darkly colored greens described in females.

2) There is also what seems to be most definitely a hemi-penal bulge located right by the vent(based on literature this indicates the presence of male reproductive parts, a bulge not seen in females.)

As I mentioned my chameleon which I named Cambridge is very healthy and active, feeds and sleeps regularly as well. I came to chameleonforums.com in hopes to get guidance on
1) The sex of my chameleon and if male when horns start to grow and develop
2) what sub species of jackson i may have and if the development may be different
3) what i may be doing wrong as far as supplementation or diet that may prevent the growth
*I am going to post info on his cage below and pictures as well thanks so much!

Cage info:
-Repti breeze SMALL
-5 live plants:3 smaller umbrellas, 1 hibiscus, 1 pothos
-50 watt basking lamp on left side of cage pointing downward and diagonally outward so it never gets too hot
-tropical uv stip lamp spanning entire cage
various climbing branches throughout
-humidifier fogger
-humidity stays between 60-80. I also spray 4-5 times daily
-night time temp is always around 70 degrees F
-no substrate
*cage setup has a nice temperature gradient, Hot on the left side, middle is neutral with the right side being the coolest where the fogger is.
-dripper for drinking is used everyday

Diet:
Crickets gut loaded with flukers calcium feed, crickets also get turnip greens and apples every time they are purchased weekly, and get carrots twice a week
8-10 crickets in the morning
5-6 small mealworms in the evening left for him to eat his own discretion
supplementation
wax worms on occasion
-calcium NO D3: once a week
-multivitamin: once a week but i cut back to every 2 weeks now
-Calcium with D3: Once a month

Attachments

• camb.jpg
    camb.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 395
  • camb2.jpg
    camb2.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 313
  • camb3.jpg
    camb3.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 460
  • camb5.jpg
    camb5.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 324
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 316
You have a beautiful Female jacksonii xantholophus chameleon aka a regular jacksons. They can sometimes have very small nubs like yours does. She looks very healthy!

Also wanted to add ; The "bulge" you see is not a hemipenal bulge. That is the vent that will sometimes stick out like that when their tail is up like that. The bulge would be a tad further down the tail.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom