jackson and veileds have same supplements?

craig

Can I give my jackson chameleons the same dusting procedures as my veiled? Do either one need more viamins/calcium than the other. Oh, I want to show you a pic of my female jackson looks like. I set her on a plant in the pool area and left her there for a while. I came out and didn't see her, i looked all around the pool area and then I decided to look up. There she was on the windchime.
Picture119.jpg

thanks. Craig.

That is such an awesome picture for sure. And yeah, same supplements. You guys are so lucky to live in the states and be able to get female Jackson's. I've been looking high and low for sooo long, and I cannot find a female Jackson's. She's gorgeous by the way.

Thanks for the response everyone. Yeah, my male jackson keeps trying to breed with her but she shakes back and forth and refuses. A couple times he tried to mount her and she ran. My veileds should be ready to breed in a couple monthes. Yeah, I had to snap a pic of that.:D

I know. I don't know how she got up there like that. Ha. It must of been uncomfortable. The wind was blowing the chimes and she was spinning. lol.

Hi, your female is beautiful! I'm not an expert on Jacksons but I've read quite a few places that Jacksons should be given less vitamin supplementation than veiled or panthers, they still need calcium but easier on the vitamins.

As Jon above, I have also read that over supplementation is a common problem with Jacksons. You may want to do some additional research or wait for someone more knowledgeable to answer.

Thanks. Yeah, I have been giving calcium to the 3 times a week and vitamins 1 time a week. Yeah, i will see what more I can find out. Thanks. Craig.

I would agree that Jacksons chameleon need less supplementation then veileds.

Jacksons and veileds are a world apart when it comes to things like this. Supplementation and approaches to deliver a proper dietary needs is one of the main reasons I would not call a Jackson a beginner species.

Take for example the amount of sun light a veiled could/would be exposed to in a day is far greater then a mountainous forest species such as a jackson. This ends up meaning that a Jackson needs less D3 then a veiled and could not handle the excess as well as a veiled. (not that any chameleon handles an excess of D3 but veileds are way more forgiving of mistakes in this area)

Multivitamins are something that jacksons do not handle well either. With a jacksons metabolism being slower then a veiled it would take them longer to work off excess of any element. I think their natural enviroments may play a role in this too. Veileds in some areas deal with seasonal abundances of food. Meaning they eat as much as possible to deal with times of drought when it comes to food. A jacksons enviroment supplies them with adequate food year round.

I would think the safest approach to dealing with a jackson is in the feeder variety and the variety of gut loading items. This allows them to have access to needed vitamins, minerals...etc... on a daily basis as aposed to a medicore attempt at this with one big bulk load of a multivitamin that veileds seem to be able to handle. Different feeders have different composition and diets this goes a long way with jacksons.

I think that this should be the best approach with all chameleons. People getting into chameleons as a hobby need something that can handle their learning experiences and veileds tend to offer a wider margin of error for beginners. Perhaps another thread directed at people who own jacksons and what their various supplementation/diet regimens are so that you pick the approach you want to go with.

Thanks for the info Jordan, I will try to find other people who have jacksons and find out their dusting procedures. Yeah, That pic is pretty funny.lol. Thanks. Craig.

I also agree that most montane chameleons including jackson's require less supplementation when it comes to certain vitamins. I believe the most important thing is to feed your insects a healthy and varied diet. I also think it could be a mistake to assume jacksonii needs less vitamin d3 though. All of my jackson's have been intense sun baskers. They come from an area much closer to the equator than even calyptratus. Also, since most jackson's in the US are from Hawai'i and reports are that they seem to prefer disturbed habitat like backyards more often than thick primary forest there I'm sure they get very high sunlight exposure. If you can find any information online about the Quantum Series dusts made by Dr. Donoghue, I believe she explains the differences in her lowland versus montane chameleon dusts.

Back
Top Bottom