Jackson’s Chameleon Opening Mouth

by han
You are right Petco sucks everything they sent you home with is a mess. I think we can save her if we hurry. First thing you will need to stop handling her. I only ever handle mine to medicate them if necessary or to do something to their cage. Jackson's are shy and won't attack you but that doesn't mean the stress isn't killing them. Stress leads to illness like URI. Jackson's will not tolerate much supplement and very little D3 it can kill them if you give to much.
Briefly mealworms are very poor nutrition. -No lights at night. 12 hours of light 12 hours of darkness. -You will need better lighting as soon as you can afford it
I have to go now but you need to read this and I will go over other changes later if no one else has.
Please read especially supplement schedule and temps. https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/jacksons/ there is more to it than just this but it is a great start.
by handling do you mean taking them out of the cage? if so then that’s a whole different meaning to handling for me lol i meant i check on her by “handling” i only take her out once a day for a few minutes of sunlight outside and she highly enjoys being out of her cage and turns bright colors like a bright green and yellow

nope. no D3
and also i may add she likes to get out of her cage. i go outside and give her some good sunlight and sometimes for a bit crawl around on some vines in my room i got long ago. but let me know if i should just stop that all around for a while. i’m not trying to stress her

and also i may add she likes to get out of her cage. i go outside and give her some good sunlight and sometimes for a bit crawl around on some vines in my room i got long ago. but let me know if i should just stop that all around for a while. i’m not trying to stress her
sunlight is good. every 2-3 hrs is too much. Maybe once every 2 days just to get sunlight?

sunlight is good. every 2-3 hrs is too much. Maybe once every 2 days just to get sunlight?
yea i don’t take her out that much at all. i was saying i just check on her wellbeing every 2-3 hours. i take her out of the cage everyday for a little less than an hour and she seems to enjoy it only mainly on me or my girl. she doesn’t exactly trust others too much yet but she sometimes gives others a chance. but anyway yea i rarely take her out because yea i know it stresses them out. but i’ll keep that noted no sunlight everyday.

yea i don’t take her out that much at all. i was saying i just check on her wellbeing every 2-3 hours. i take her out of the cage everyday for a little less than an hour and she seems to enjoy it only mainly on me or my girl. she doesn’t exactly trust others too much yet but she sometimes gives others a chance. but anyway yea i rarely take her out because yea i know it stresses them out. but i’ll keep that noted no sunlight everyday.
so she opened her mouth today. no spit. just her tongue of course lol but definitely opened her mouth. she’s currently starting to shed in spots. i’ll send a pic if she opens her mouth again. as i said she’s still very active. no signs of a URI besides her mouth being open. no popping. no gasping. no mucus or stringy spit. :/ she’s tricky.

let me also add i’m living in texas. but i’m keeping her isolated enough to where it’s not too hot for her and temps are fine. my only issue is her opening her mouth with not many if any signs of a URI that I've read about. No stringy spit, no popping noises, no extra saliva. i’m really confused yet concerned to make sure i’m helping in any way. lmk y’all

so she opened her mouth today. no spit. just her tongue of course lol but definitely opened her mouth. she’s currently starting to shed in spots. i’ll send a pic if she opens her mouth again. as i said she’s still very active. no signs of a URI besides her mouth being open. no popping. no gasping. no mucus or stringy spit. :/ she’s tricky.
@JacksJill update. got her a croton plant today. i’m gonna get her some baytril hopefully this weekend and give another update. i was recommended to get the croton plant. good plant or na? as u can see she’s trying to adjust to the huge new plant.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 67
I wouldn't give her baytril unless she is actually diagnosed with a RI. It can be hard on their kidneys so should only be used when absolutely necessary.
Plants will be a good addition to her cage and give her more security and can stabilize humidity.

I wouldn't give her baytril unless she is actually diagnosed with a RI. It can be hard on their kidneys so should only be used when absolutely necessary.
Plants will be a good addition to her cage and give her more security and can stabilize humidity.
thanks. ok. i’ll give it probably a week. you’re the best.

i give her calcium and vitamins everyday on her crickets and worms (repta-calcium)

I'm glad you aren't using the Repta Calcium with D3 that would be tragic. What vitamins were you talking about? She should get a monthly dose of a multi vitamin with D3 but only once or twice a month depending on the formula you choose. I prefer Repashy calcium plus LoD lightly every 2 weeks especially with those poor lights.

I'm glad she is getting outdoor sunlight because the lights they sold you are completely inadequate and until you are able to upgrade she will need real sun to make up the difference but only 15-30 minutes a few times a week. If her colors go pale she is too warm. A linear T5 fixture and light is what they should have sold you.

I'm glad you aren't using the Repta Calcium with D3 that would be tragic. What vitamins were you talking about? She should get a monthly dose of a multi vitamin with D3 but only once or twice a month depending on the formula you choose. I prefer Repashy calcium plus LoD lightly every 2 weeks especially with those poor lights.

I'm glad she is getting outdoor sunlight because the lights they sold you are completely inadequate and until you are able to upgrade she will need real sun to make up the difference but only 15-30 minutes a few times a week. If her colors go pale she is too warm. A linear T5 fixture and light is what they should have sold you.
@JacksJill update. so she has started shedding a lot more. I think she may be yawning to shed now. no saliva or popping still. but she’s shedding a shit ton on her back and legs now. i’m gonna take her to a vet probably monday/tuesday and give another update.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 69
Back
Top Bottom