Jackson’s Chameleon grabs face when climbing.

Recently I’ve noticed my little guy grabbing his horns, face, mouth while trying to climb. He will go to reach forward but snag a claw on something and sorta get it stuck for a bit. I’ve also noticed that he’s got scabs around where he snags the most often. I’d this just a growing faze that chameleons go through where they aren’t exactly sure of their body’s proportions? Other than the claw snagging, he’s acting completely normal. No changes in activity, diet, sleep, or anything. Limbs and claws are all normal as well.

Poor coordination can be a sign of MBD. How old is UVB bulb? What supplements is he getting?
Do you have a video of him doing this?
This is not normal growth behavior.

Poor coordination can be a sign of MBD. How old is UVB bulb? What supplements is he getting?
Do you have a video of him doing this?
This is not normal growth behavior.
UVB is alsmost 5 months old. Twice a week he gets calcium without D3 and twice a month he gets a multivitamin with D3 as per the recommendation of a post on this site. As for a video, I’ll post one as soon as I get the opportunity.

UVB is alsmost 5 months old. Twice a week he gets calcium without D3 and twice a month he gets a multivitamin with D3 as per the recommendation of a post on this site. As for a video, I’ll post one as soon as I get the opportunity.
You should be dusting with calcium without D3 at every feeding.

And here’s a slightly blurry pic of the side where he has the biggest scab.

Attachments

• C3BE4391-2F58-4815-8954-0D10458217BB.jpeg
    C3BE4391-2F58-4815-8954-0D10458217BB.jpeg
    225.6 KB · Views: 108
Im going to let the more experienced keepers speak up here, Id say its more likely that im wrong, not the sheet. I thought all chams always got calcium at every feeding...

Jackson's have a slower metabolism and are easier to over supplement.
I've never seen the face grabbing before. In chams with MBD the hind legs tend to grab the back of the front legs when climbing.
I would recommend a vet check unless someone else knows something about this.

Plus, they're just completely different species. Jackson's don't even share a genus with either Veileds or Panthers, so they're phylogenetically distinct enough that it is natural for their nutritional requirements to be different. Kenyan jackson's get much of their minerals from dust that exists in their native environments coating branches, while veileds and panthers live in very different environmental conditions with different access to nutrients

Have you seen inside his mouth lately? The scab is right behind the temporal gland. They can abscess and rupture at that point. He would have had swelling there before it ruptured. Jackson's and a few others have a temporal gland in the corner of their mouth that can become infected. That part of the mouth looks ok in your pic now.

I found this thread it suggests MBD but I don't see how your guy got it. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/help-hektor-is-clawing-his-face.96987/#post-899825
I give calcium 3 days a week but in very small amounts. You are due for a new UVB bulb. I would change yours out now. If you can maybe get him some outdoor sun time.
I’ll replace the bulb. It’s just weird that this all started like 4-5 days ago. I generally let him sit in sunlight in the mornings so I’ll just let him sit a bit longer. I’ll also schedule a vet visit, see what they say. Thanks for all the advice!

Have you seen inside his mouth lately? The scab is right behind the temporal gland. They can abscess and rupture at that point. He would have had swelling there before it ruptured. Jackson's and a few others have a temporal gland in the corner of their mouth that can become infected. That part of the mouth looks ok in your pic now.

I thought if that and everything is normal in his mouth. At least nothing that was immediately obvious.

Back
Top Bottom