Ivan's napping...hmmm?

PhDoc

So I have caught him now napping during the day (some days he will be active the entire day, other days I catch him taking 'naps' under the basking spot)
His eating habits are still good (eats every other day, I vary his food) and his colors are looking good.
As to my knowledge, I thought they aren't suppose to nap. Why is he napping all of a sudden. (Ive had him for about a year now and this is the first time I see him napping)
021.jpg

MY jackson Chameleon just recently passed away on me:( try giving your cham pedialite in an eye dropper to make him drink.

Hello, Iv'e just bought a beautiful male Ambilobe Panther Chameleon. His name is "REPTAR". He was born late April,2011. So far I have him two days now and he has eaten 12 crickets yesterday and so far 13 crickets today. The Temperature is 80 degrees with a humidity of 60%. I keep the UVB light along with a 75 watt basking light on from 10:00am-3:00pm. I don't have a drip system but I do spray/mist the cage (18,18,20) evey 3-4 hours until my fake plants are dripping. Unfortunately, I haven't yet seen him drink and I NEEED to be sure he is hydrated. Anyone who has something to say in order to improve my enclosure please let me know Thank you How can i post this thread

Napping...

My Madagascar Giant Spiny just started doing that the other day...random naps throughout the day. It's like chameleon narcolepsy. I can even pick him up, and he just goes with the flow. I took him outside and sat down, and FINALLY he woke up, looked around, and went right back to sleep on my hand. Odd behavior...

Have you recently changed a bulb for him? Sometimes they are too strong and give the chams problems.

BTW, that is an awesome Jacksonii

Mouth Rot?

Sleeping during the day is usually not a good sign. It is often an indicator of a problem or issue. You might want to fill out the health form so members can take a look at your husbandry and evaluate any issues they might see. However, the fact that he has been alive for a year in your car is an indicator that you are most likely doing most things right. However, there is something that concerns me with the photograph you posted. How old is it? His lip line looks like it is showing signs of mouth rot. It could just be a strange photo, but do some research, look at some pictures, and get him to gape at you so you can take a good look in his mouth. Look for any dark, discolored, or swollen tissue around the lip and gum line as these are signs of an infection. This infection could also be the reason for the closing of the eyes during the day. Unless it is very early in catching it, it should be fairly apparent to you if there is an issue when you look. If he does have an infection, a vet visit will be crucial to his survival. Hope there isn't anything serious going on!

Good Luck!
James F

Thanks VeildChams, he is my pride and joy
hope this helps:
Your Chameleon -Adult Jacksonii Jacksonii Male (does anyone know how to get an exact age on an adult cham?)
Handling - Only when I have to
Feeding - Eats about every other day a worm (I vary the worms I give) with 2 crickets. (I'll switch the crickets once and awhile with some roaches)
Supplements - I am dusting the crickets with calcium (no phosphorus or D3) once a week and once a month I dust the crickets witha multivitamin.
Watering - He gets misted three times a day and also has a humidity level of between 60-80% and also has a drip system that stays on for about 10-12 hours
Fecal Description -the usual little dark brownish ones and then the white ones.(am performing a fecal exam to find out if parasites are the problem)
History - All i was told was that he was captive breed.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - He has a screen cage 36"H X 23"W X 23"D
Lighting - I have a a repti-bulb 10 uvb bulb on him from 7am to 8pm (i use the 10 uvb vs the 5 uvb because of all the foliage in his cage and because the screen is somewhat dark so this maximizes the uvb rays that can penetrate). I also have a heat lap on the other side of the cage
Temperature - temp stays at the highest (where the basking spot is) around 80 and the coolest part is about 69. at night, we do drop the temperature for them to about 65
Humidity - custom made humidifier for his cage (stays between 50-80%)
Plants -rope system, synthetic plants everywhere, a variety of branches.
Placement - We have a room dedicated to our animals so there is little to no traffic. he is in the corner of the room elevated from the floor.
Location - Chicago, Illinois

*I also weighed him yesterday and he has lost 3grams since last month :-(
I gave a good look at his mouth (I got him to gape at me) and his mouth looks normal
took a few more pics of him last night (hope they can give a better idea of why he may be sleeping so much)
should I change his bulb?
2011-07-14171141.jpg

2011-07-14171147.jpg

The light is guess... Drop it to a 5.0 UVB... I would say that may be why he's not napping, just closing his eyes.... That and try upping the calcium without D3 to every feeding that may help as well

The light is guess... Drop it to a 5.0 UVB... I would say that may be why he's not napping, just closing his eyes.... That and try upping the calcium without D3 to every feeding that may help as well

I second that. Also, I'd get a live plant in there to help with the humidity and give it a "real" feel to the cage. I'd also bump up his basking spot a bit, just a few degrees.

The 10.0 is usually for desert animals. You may want to get a 5.0.. if you are concerned about light, got to lowes and get a tube light in the 6500k range. That'll brighten up your cage.

I will buy a new bulb asap.
Do you know what type of plant I could buy that would survive so much watering/humidity level? I use to have two large dracena plants in his cage and after about 4 months they died on me. I know the list for safe plants for chameleons is huge, but do you know what's best?
Thanks David! I've had him for a year now (and I know when I bought him he was an adult). I wish there was a way to know exactly how old he is

I will buy a new bulb asap.
Do you know what type of plant I could buy that would survive so much watering/humidity level? I use to have two large dracena plants in his cage and after about 4 months they died on me. I know the list for safe plants for chameleons is huge, but do you know what's best?
Thanks David! I've had him for a year now (and I know when I bought him he was an adult). I wish there was a way to know exactly how old he is

Now I notice that you already said you'd had him a year.......I have a Schefflera as well, my castor oil plant seems to always want a watering.......so far my new little Yucca is doing ok.......

I second that. Also, I'd get a live plant in there to help with the humidity and give it a "real" feel to the cage. I'd also bump up his basking spot a bit, just a few degrees.

The 10.0 is usually for desert animals. You may want to get a 5.0.. if you are concerned about light, got to lowes and get a tube light in the 6500k range. That'll brighten up your cage.

I actually have to disagree on the temps being bumped up... Jacksons don't need as hot of a temp as say a panther... Maybe 82 but I think it's pretty good... As far as plants go I would go for the most goof proof plant known to man... Pothos.... grows really under any condition and can even be grown without soil in a cup of water!

EDIT: just realized you said "just a few degrees" my bad lol yea follow that haha

I actually have to disagree on the temps being bumped up... Jacksons don't need as hot of a temp as say a panther... Maybe 82 but I think it's pretty good... As far as plants go I would go for the most goof proof plant known to man... Pothos.... grows really under any condition and can even be grown without soil in a cup of water!

EDIT: just realized you said "just a few degrees" my bad lol yea follow that haha

Hahaha, no problem.. I actually have only 1 week experience with Jacksons.. I'm going by what I was told on my thread when I got a Jacksons out of a bad situation a week ago.
This is the link. There is some useful info.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/pet-store-jackson-buy-not-62730/

Just wanted to give a brief update on Ivan.
I changed his bulbs and added a live plant and he is up and moving around all day :)
thanks everyone!

Just wanted to give a brief update on Ivan.
I changed his bulbs and added a live plant and he is up and moving around all day :)
thanks everyone!

Isn't it strange how even just slight changes make the difference in these guys health? My little one hadn't ate in almost a week and all I did was change his UVB and VIOLÁ!! He's eating like a champ :)

My Madagascar Giant Spiny just started doing that the other day...random naps throughout the day. It's like chameleon narcolepsy. I can even pick him up, and he just goes with the flow. I took him outside and sat down, and FINALLY he woke up, looked around, and went right back to sleep on my hand. Odd behavior...

thats usually a really bad sign..i would go to a vet ASAP!!..chams are very good at hiding how sick they are untill its too late..

seanUTD:
I'm still so astounded at that fact....and it just makes me like them even more! It's so beautiful how sensitive they are and how important it is to keep the equilibrium balanced
after humans, chameleons really are (in my opinion) the most fascinating creatures :)

Back
Top Bottom