its really sad if you think about it

DGoff

Safeguarding one of Earth’s most captivating islands

Baobab tree - Madagascar
© WWF-Canon / Martin HARVEY
Madagascar is irreplaceable. Split from the African continent over 160 million years ago, this island country developed its own distinct ecosystems and extraordinary wildlife. Approximately 92 percent of Madagascar’s reptiles, 68 percent of its plant life and 98 percent of its land mammals, including lemurs, exist naturally nowhere else on Earth.

Demands from today’s global markets threaten the diversity brought about by the isolation that the island of Madagascar has experienced. Deforestation, unsustainable agriculture and erosion fueled by human population growth all jeopardize the island’s unique habitats. As a result, several charismatic species such as lemurs and chameleons that evolved here over millions of years may become extinct before the end of the century.

what i think "i really want to stop chameleons from going extinct because madagascar has the most chameleon species in the world. think maybe 100 years from now there will be no panthers or parson's chameleons out in the wild. i really want to try to stop this from happening. because then the only place to see a chameleon from madagascar will be at a pet shop, zoo, online, or in someone's house."

I am planning a trip to Madagascar for just that reason. I am going on a photography and research mission as well as for my thesis. This trip will be an eye-opener.

Back
Top Bottom