Itching eye???

Ok so since I’ve got my chameleon I’ve noticed that once an a while he will itch his right eye on the branches and it freaks me out so much because I don’t know whats wrong with it and why he does that with just the one eye. I haven’t brought him to the vet yet for it. It looks like the other eye and I don’t think it’s swollen or something but I wanna know if anyone else has had their chameleon do that or if anyone knows what could possibly be the issue.

It could be shed or debris in the eye. My chameleon did that and I was worried about mites as well. Vitamin a also affects the eye. It’s hard to say but pictures would help and the husbandry form will give others a thorough insight into what could be the issue.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help.66/
Ok, should i take him to the vet because when he itches it look he like presses down pretty hard to itch and I’m like horrified we will damage it. But I’ll fill out the husband from real quick too.

It could be shed or debris in the eye. My chameleon did that and I was worried about mites as well. Vitamin a also affects the eye. It’s hard to say but pictures would help and the husbandry form will give others a thorough insight into what could be the issue.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help.66/
I have a male panther chameleon and he is 6 months old. Tomorrow will be a month since I got him. I do not handle him much but I’m working on the process of it. I feed him crickets, super worms, black soldier fly larvae, silk worms, hornworms, wax worms, and super worms and I give him a total of 8-16 bugs depending on size. I feed him around 10am and I gut load by giving my bugs carrots, collards, and kale. I use calcium with out d3 6x a week calcium with d3 1x every other week and a vitamin 1x every other week. I use a dripper and I mist about 2 times a day and I don’t really see him drink. The urate is a creamish color and the poop part good and I have gotten him tested for parasites and he doesn’t have any. Screen cage, 4ft tall 2ft deep. For lighting I have a 75 watt basking bulb and a t5 liner uvb light. The basking temperature is about 82° and the bottom of the cage is about 71°. The lowest team over night is 68° and I measure these with a temperature gun and a dial that measures temp and humidity in the cage. The humidity is usually around 60%-70% because I got a humidifier outside his cage to keep the humidity up. I use a dial that measures humidity. I have a pony tail plant, a ficus benjimina, and a pothos plant. My cage is in my room but I have a white shower curtain on 3 sides of the cage so when I’m in my room doing school he won’t see me. And it’s not near fans or vents. And the cage in on a table that’s about 2-3 feet off the floor so the top of the cage is about 7ft high. And I’m located on the upper East cost in the US. And here’s a picture of his eye

Attachments

• A03BFE3D-242B-448E-AB6C-D996BD38BD36.jpeg
    A03BFE3D-242B-448E-AB6C-D996BD38BD36.jpeg
    176 KB · Views: 74
  • BE57F2CE-5108-40F5-B91B-2D18E7B0A1E0.jpeg
    BE57F2CE-5108-40F5-B91B-2D18E7B0A1E0.jpeg
    194.5 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Vitamin a is great for eyes, but too much or too little can cause problems. I would keep your chameleon hydrated for sure. A vet visit would be good if this has been a persistent issue.

I’m sure someone with more experience with your type of chameleon will chime in soon.
BTW your chameleon is a cutie 🥰

Chameleons do rub on branches... This is not abnormal... Looks as though he is keeping the eye open though.

What multivitamin are you using? Do you have any fake vines in the enclosure? When was the last time he shed?

Can you take a picture of the entire enclosure lights down so I can see positioning of everything?

Vitamin a is great for eyes, but too much or too little can cause problems. I would keep your chameleon hydrated for sure. A vet visit would be good if this has been a persistent issue.
Ok thank you I’ll probably take him in cause it’s so hard to actually tell if there is a problem with chameleons

Chameleons do rub on branches... This is not abnormal... Looks as though he is keeping the eye open though.

What multivitamin are you using? Do you have any fake vines in the enclosure? When was the last time he shed?

Can you take a picture of the entire enclosure lights down so I can see positioning of everything?
Ok thats good to know it’s not weird but i don’t think I’ve seen him itch the left eye always the right one. So idk it concerns me a little. But yeah he seems to be keeping his eye open. I’m starting a new vitamin when it arrives which will be the reptivite without d3 but I was using the repashy calcium plus. I only have real plants in my enclosure and I took your advise on my enclosure on one of my forum with the wooden lattice and bamboo and changed it. I’m gonna add more sticks because I just fixed it up yesterday.
but sometimes when he looks behind him his eye does this weird thing and idk if all chameleons do it or not. I can’t upload videos but I have a picture of it kinda and it literally scares me so much idk what he’s doing cause it looks like his eye is FLIPPING, its so weird but since I got him he can do that with his eye and I’m a new chameleon owner so it concerns me cause idk if it’s normal
34378ABF-37BB-48CC-9D94-57708E88CFC3.jpeg

Attachments

• 86EED817-D9A1-4C9B-99C0-E4BC2B71D1B7.jpeg
    86EED817-D9A1-4C9B-99C0-E4BC2B71D1B7.jpeg
    452.9 KB · Views: 71
It's just the one eye. She does itch it, but not a lot. I'm not sure about the vet... I have to see if we have an exotic vet near us. I'm wondering if a piece of shed got in there or if it's a vitamin deficiency?

It's just the one eye. She does itch it, but not a lot. I'm not sure about the vet... I have to see if we have an exotic vet near us. I'm wondering if a piece of shed got in there or if it's a vitamin deficiency?
Same he started out not itching that much but I’ve seen him doing it about 3 times today already so I don’t know if there is something in his eye he can’t get out of he needs some vitamin A

Ok thats good to know it’s not weird but i don’t think I’ve seen him itch the left eye always the right one. So idk it concerns me a little. But yeah he seems to be keeping his eye open. I’m starting a new vitamin when it arrives which will be the reptivite without d3 but I was using the repashy calcium plus. I only have real plants in my enclosure and I took your advise on my enclosure on one of my forum with the wooden lattice and bamboo and changed it. I’m gonna add more sticks because I just fixed it up yesterday.
but sometimes when he looks behind him his eye does this weird thing and idk if all chameleons do it or not. I can’t upload videos but I have a picture of it kinda and it literally scares me so much idk what he’s doing cause it looks like his eye is FLIPPING, its so weird but since I got him he can do that with his eye and I’m a new chameleon owner so it concerns me cause idk if it’s normal

So the image of the eye... When it bulges in and out like that... That is normal. That is him cleaning it. Moving the eye around.

Calcium plus has preformed A as well as calcium with D3. It could be used 2 times a month the same as the reptivite would be. (since your reptivite does not have D3 make sure you rotate week to week between it and a calcium with D3.) So it is not a matter of lack of vitamin A.

I would suggest doing a longer misting session. If your only misting for a minute up it to 3. Give him the opportunity to clean it well.

Make sure the humidifier is not blowing into the cage during the day. INto the room is fine. But daytime humidity levels only should be 50-60% for a Panther.

IMO this is not a reason for a Vet visit. What he is doing is normal.

So the image of the eye... When it bulges in and out like that... That is normal. That is him cleaning it. Moving the eye around.

Calcium plus has preformed A as well as calcium with D3. It could be used 2 times a month the same as the reptivite would be. (since your reptivite does not have D3 make sure you rotate week to week between it and a calcium with D3.) So it is not a matter of lack of vitamin A.

I would suggest doing a longer misting session. If your only misting for a minute up it to 3. Give him the opportunity to clean it well.

Make sure the humidifier is not blowing into the cage during the day. INto the room is fine. But daytime humidity levels only should be 50-60% for a Panther.

IMO this is not a reason for a Vet visit. What he is doing is normal.
Ohhhhh ok thank goodness it’s normal that’s a huge relief. And ok I’ve been doing that routine of supplements now and the humidifier is keeping the room around 60% I’ll move it further away tho. Should I still take him to the vet incase he has something he can’t get out of his eyes or should he be able to do it on his own?

Ohhhhh ok thank goodness it’s normal that’s a huge relief. And ok I’ve been doing that routine of supplements now and the humidifier is keeping the room around 60% I’ll move it further away tho. Should I still take him to the vet incase he has something he can’t get out of his eyes or should he be able to do it on his own?
How long are you misting for?

It would be one thing if he was keeping the eye closed. But what your describing and showing is normal cham behavior.

Back
Top Bottom