It was a day for firsts and lasts

Diezel

Today since it reaches 87 i decided to let diezel experience his first day outside. it would turn out to be his last. He decides to go one his plant and imediatly run straight for the ground and toward a huuuuggeeee oak tree. and i got bit 2 times trying to get him and it wasnt until a last resort swoop to get him. so i tried one more time on his plant and he did it again! so this was too close for me he wont see outside again until i build him a cage but that wont be for a long time.

They do get fiesty when they go outside. The benefits of real sunlight are pretty significant, though. If you aren't into building an outdoor cage, you might want to pick one of these up: http://www.exo-terra.com/EN/products/explorarium_i.html

They work really well for outdoor days, or even hanging your cham in front of an open window on not so great days.

exoterra.jpg

do chameleons benefit from light even when the sun is not shining directly onto them? i had 2 of mine out today and it was cloudy so they got sun on and off.
i put them in the 2 extra small cages i have but im building 2 1.5 x 1.5 x3 cages for out back. im getting one of those plastic patio tables to sit the cages on ,i figured i could put a plant in each cage to secure it.

Your title scared me. It could have been a "he got away' story or a bird or cat got him story. Anyway, I'm glad that you HAVE him. I thought the cage link Heika sent you was WELL COOL. And for that matter, couldn't your fashion a mosquito net around a potted plant for him? I got my mosquito net for 10 or 15 dollars off ebay.

Wat if sun is too hot

Hi Heika,

Every cham lovers knows that real direct sun light is very crucial for chams. But what if the sun is too hot, and they turn very light and open their mouth to show it is too hot? They cant get sun burn neither, right?

Hi Heika,

Every cham lovers knows that real direct sun light is very crucial for chams. But what if the sun is too hot, and they turn very light and open their mouth to show it is too hot? They cant get sun burn neither, right?

Direct sun light is really nice for a chameleon. If it is too hot for the chameleon, you definately need to get it back inside. When you position your outside cage, make sure it has access to shade. A plant inside the cage will usually do that. I never wander far when my chameleons take a trip outside, and keeping an eye out is important.

Fate.. UVB is present even when there is a cloud cover. It just isn't quite as intense.

tx Faunagirl,

That is what I am doing. I hav tree covers in the tank, which I took it outside with the cham. I give the cham a sun bask every morning since the sun comes out, normally for about 3-4 hrs, until it gets too hot. Since the sun moves, and I do not want the cham gets too hot, so I constantly move the tank so that there are places in the tank always get shade. But I have to keep an eye on the cham for 3-4 hours every morning, a bit too much. But I cant just leave it and I do not want to waste the nice sun.

tx Heika,

That is what I am doing. I hav tree covers in the tank, which I took it outside with the cham. I give the cham a sun bask every morning since the sun comes out, normally for about 3-4 hrs, until it gets too hot. Since the sun moves, and I do not want the cham gets too hot, so I constantly move the tank so that there are places in the tank always get shade. But I have to keep an eye on the cham for 3-4 hours every morning, a bit too much. But I cant just leave it and I do not want to waste the nice sun.

Last edited:
And I am trying to give the cham a sunset bask every afternoon as well. So the result for the morning and afternoon sun bask for the cham is--I get a good tan.:)

Then in a word.... sun screen. lol
Sounds good what you are doing. I only have a window of sun for an hour in the morning, and an hour of afternoon sun when it's too hot and I'm not home.
So if I miss, he misses out. :{

And I am trying to give the cham a sunset bask every afternoon as well. So the result for the morning and afternoon sun bask for the cham is--I get a good tan.:)

So I take it you never released that cham back into the wild, despite being informed that it was illegal to keep it, and that you were ill-equipped to care for the cham?

What set up have you got for it?

Back
Top Bottom