Issues with male ambilobe

I purchased a mle ambilobe panther chameleon at the beginning of April. He was born on 2/12/11 I have not handled him at all really because he takesoff running whenever I put my hands in his enclosure. When I have tried to hold him he turns jet black. I was wondering is there a chance he will not be son afraid of me with time. He is always very green wit yellow red teal colors coming out and he loves hunting down crickets but absolutely hates me. I worry that he will always be so stressed out when I put my hands in his enclosure.

It is hard to say. Some chameleons never let their keeper handle them, and if they do, they bite, hiss and puff up fighting it all the way. On the other hand, there are some real sweet chams out there(I happen to own one of them) and there are a few things you can do to try and handle him. First of all try hand feeding him. Let him associate your hand with something good and not something that is going to hurt him or maybe eat him!!! Also try letting him climb out of the cage, either on a tall potted plant or something else that you can put outside the cage that he might be attracted to to venture out of the cage. Sometimes they are less stressed when out of the cage and not cornered to be held. Approach slow and from the front where he can see your hand. Do not come over his back or from behind. Try placing your hand in front of his two front feet. Maybe even try using a small stick and use that instead of your hand and see if he wil climb on that instead. If you get him on the stick, sit down with the stick on your lap and see if you can get him to crawl onto you. These are a couple things that worked for me and I have an unbeliveably friendly guy. Don't give up! He is young. If you don't keep trying and wait until months down the road to start handling, you probably will never be able to.

Yes I gave up my tank to keep reptiles I have quite a collection. I will try the plant outside his enclosure. I was too nervous before because he would try to leap off of my hand or a branch in his enclosure when I would go near him. He is not jumpy like that anymore. I hadmy husband put his hank in the enclosure and ricky puffed all up with a red chin and stood his ground my husband would never touch him so I don't know what he would have done if my husband put his hand in the cage with me he is more afraid and runs away.

My blue bar ambanja, was like that at first and it took about a month and a half then well now he is starting to warm up to me. give him time my female was different she's very friendly and climbs on my hand when she knows i'm taking her out. it was the opposite for my one baby veiled he was friendly as can be when he was a baby but since his last big growth spurt he doesn't want anything to do with me. give him time.

You could try hand feeding with silks or hornworms. That usually will get them to be less afraid of your hand in their cage. Eventually they will recognize your approach as getting food and you may be able to entice them onto your hand if you hold the worm a little farther than they can reach. It seemed to work with all my chams except one female that will take a bite out of anything that comes near her. I hope she is less inclined to do that when I put my male in with her in a couple months.

I just took a real hands off approach I was afraid he would get so stressed and something would happen to him especially because he was about 8 weeks when I got him. I put a branch leading out of his cage to the window now and he is checking it out watching me with one eye :). He will not take anything from my hand but I will continue to try. He looks great though his yellow teal ,red is starting to show when he sheds it just bursts off him in like 5 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom