Is this UVB enough for panther ?

Really? I've been told by every breeder that I've done business with that the 5.0 is the correct bulb, and The 10.0 is way t5o much..? :confused:

Natural sunlight has a much higher uvb output than any of the lamps...5.0 or 10.0

Direct sunlight can give a reading of 300+ while in the shade or on a cloudy day ot is lower itbis still more uv than a bulb.

So the point I am trying to make is that as long as your uv light is not exceeding and output greater than the sun you are good.

5.0 is the generally accepted bulb to use as ot gives out adequate uv for a chameleons needs. 10.0 will be more output but not do any harm

I agree with Dez here. No bulb made is Ben close to the sun yet. With a correctly setup cage with shadier areas a higher output bulb is fine. It will never harm them.

I wouldn't use that either as it is up to 5% so could be lower. Can you order from another country and get it shipped? Where are you?

Thanks for all of you. But there is a problem. In my country I can find only this bulb for uvb. And whatabaout this http://www.havells-sylvania.com/en/products/0000733

im no chameleon pro by far, im just starting out but im not sure if some of the sponsor sites on here ship overseas but im sure you can order a uvb light online and have it shipped to you, im using a zoomed mini cfl 10.0 uvb.. ive heard that its too much but you loose a lot of light running it through a screen up to 50% loss so i opted for the 10.0 and its still one good for about 6 -8 inches down in the tank which is nothing compared to the sun and i have 30 inch deep enclosure and being that cham enclosures are generally tall not long.. have something that penetrates deeper in the tank made sense to me. ive kept salt water reef tanks for a while now so lighting is very important to corals especially have proper light to reach lower in the tank. the lights you posted would be ok for plants though. im planning on a t5 set up but the top of my 16x16x30 is alot smaller than it sounds and with a basking bulb and my dripper up there. i just dont have the space for a linear fixture..not until i get my adult cage

Juice is right, you lose a lot of UVB when you use a light through a screen cage (people forget this!), and then you want there to be a gradient in UVB as it travels down the cage. If your bulb is so weak that it's only readable in the upper 12" of the cage then it forces the chameleon to stay there, where it may not want to be all day long for thermoregulartion. So I only use the Reptisun 10.0 bulbs as well (which are stronger than Reptiglo). I've been much happier with the UVB readings I've gotten with these bulbs.

OP - A 5% bulb is ok if you can't find anything else for now, but if you can find a site or vendor in a nearby country that can ship to you that would be better. Are you in Europe? You should be able to have access to the Arcadia lights, I believe.

YAY im learning the right stuff lol.... now if I can just get this drainage system down to science... Lol. Hey Olimpia, do u use the cfl high output or mimi bulbs or the fluorescent and how big is your cage? Could u possibly post a pic of it

The best bulbs are flourescent tube style bulbs. The best ones are the Arcadia T5 HO bulbs available.

YAY im learning the right stuff lol.... now if I can just get this drainage system down to science... Lol. Hey Olimpia, do u use the cfl high output or mimi bulbs or the fluorescent and how big is your cage? Could u possibly post a pic of it

Lol Yay! I use the linear fluorescents, because I like that they go across the entire top of the cage. Because I have 4 cages right next to each other, I buy the 4' double fixtures from Lowe's and put a 5,000k daylight bulb from Lowe's as well for added brightness.

Here are photos of my cages (4' tall x 2' x 2') and their drainage: http://muchadoaboutchameleons.blogspot.com/2012/04/my-chameleon-room-cages.html

I wish I had the space!! Lol I thought I saw your set up in the cage thread but wasn't sure. Thanks for the link. Im assuming your plants do good with that set up as well. Seems to a bit of a balancing act with plant lighting and Chan lighting and space for both in a smaller cage. The top of mine is pretty crowded with 2 domes and my big dripper on a 15x15 surface area I could possible squeeze a small 12-18 fixture up there as well but that a big if lol.

I wish I had the space!! Lol I thought I saw your set up in the cage thread but wasn't sure. Thanks for the link. Im assuming your plants do good with that set up as well. Seems to a bit of a balancing act with plant lighting and Chan lighting and space for both in a smaller cage. The top of mine is pretty crowded with 2 domes and my big dripper on a 15x15 surface area I could possible squeeze a small 12-18 fixture up there as well but that a big if lol.

You would be taking up less pace with a linear fixture and one dome for heating. The compacts that I assume you are using in the other dome are not great. They give out little uv over a very small area allowing no real photogradient.

i need a bigger cage to support a linear fixture or find a way to prop it up on one end because a 20-24 inch fixture will hang over on one side and fall off the cage sits in a corner so i cant center the fixture(i have a 24 inch aquarium fixture i put on top to see how it would fit and it had to be right on the edge of the cage and i couldnt really rock the cage at all like removing or replacing my dripper or opening the door cuz it sticks a bit without it falling) the fixture itself is about 6 inches across and plastic and that doesnt leave enough room for the basking dome to sit on the cage and not touch it and melt it after being on for a few hours and have the dripper sitting on one corner :(im renting so i cant drill holes in the ceiling to hang it if my cage was wider itd be no problem but shes still pretty small to be in a 24x24x36/48..at least from everything ive read that is..im basically trying to fit a slab of ribs on a dinner plate for lack of a better example. i had an actual heat basking light for her and a uvb but ive noticed she never goes under her heat light..tank temp is around 70 at night and goes up to 85 in the day without the basking light and the humidity ir pretty consistent at 70 in the day and goes up at night so i got an idea to open my window shades for more natural sunlight to brighten up the room and warm her tank up a bit naturally and add another uvb to put in the other dome..so its kinda like..putting 2 medium flashlights side by side to make one big flashlight with the light spread..at least thats the theory, im just trying it to see how it works for a couple of days..she already seems to be happier shes more active and has a brighter color than shes had..but that could be due to her getting used to her new home...i got her last sunday so its only been a week.

Back
Top Bottom