is this poop normal?

While they LOVE it, they must NOT ingest it, as it causes impaction. Just to be extra clear on that :eek:

by the way, can I cover the plant with sand? I don't have any coconut fiber right now but I have ground walnut shells.

I just bought peat moss, and covered the dirt with it. Is this fine? will my cham try and eat it?
Peat moss? What kind? There’s almost always some fertilizer in peat moss... you can find large river pebbles at the dollar store or any home improvement store.
You could use some paper towels to cover it in the meantime.
Do not use sand or walnut shells because it’s worse than dirt.

@PabloTheCham

Looks like you got some help from some very helpful people! I would take their suggestions about river rocks. You wont have to worry about fertilizer that way.

Also, I had asked you about how sure you were that your cham is a male in our PMs. Now that another member has mentioned the same thing, it really makes me wonder.
Despite whether your heart is set on your cham being a male or not, even you truly believe you are right, I would highly suggest you post pictures for us. Your husbandry will differ depending on your chams sex. Even the small things might be different such as basking temps and such. Can't stress how important this is. :)

They are known to eat soil, due to vitamin deficiency, and in a healthy animal, it should pass just fine.

You can cover with rocks if you want to, but its more concerning what he is lacking to want to eat dirt.
Eating soil in itself isn’t what’s concerning. The perlite is. And they also can catch some parasites eating that soil.
And, just like Petr Necas always says, if you compare your husbandry to what it’s like in C. calyptratus (veiled), it clearly lacks MINERALS. It is dusty there. And some of it is calcium, also magnesium,and many other. The wind get the soil and thows it to covers pretty much all the cham touches, breathes and drink from, and is on what they eat.
Sooooo, it is normal that he would be « lacking » minerals.
But, do not worry about that.
Carry on with your good calcium vitamins schedule and cover your plant pot with something, so your cham does not get impaction from perlite.

Eating soil in itself isn’t what’s concerning. The perlite is.
Ya not really, your talking to someone who has used uncovered soil for reptiles for the better part of 20 years. Try again.

If they are eating dirt, they are trying to make up for a missing item in their diet. This is seen with lots of animals, next time your dog eats the copper coils in your headphones, now you know why. A healthy animal can pass the Perlite, if they were to eat it just fine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geophagia

And they also can catch some parasites eating that soil.
Which Parasite can they catch exactly from the soil?

And, just like Petr Necas always says, if you compare your husbandry to what it’s like in C. calyptratus (veiled), it clearly lacks MINERALS. It is dusty there. And some of it is calcium, also magnesium,and many other. The wind get the soil and thows it to covers pretty much all the cham touches, breathes and drink from, and is on what they eat.
This isn't Facebook, we deal in science here. Do you have a link to support any of that? "Something Petr" said is not scientific fact nor is that an appropriate source, nor is it going to get you very far in a discussion around these parts :).

But, do not worry about that.
Carry on with your good calcium vitamins schedule and cover your plant pot with something, so your cham does not get impaction from perlite.
What exactly do you think is in that Vitamin and Mineral Supp we dust with?

You said "Carry on with your good calcium vitamins schedule and cover your plant pot with something, so your cham does not get impaction from perlite."

We dont know what that schedule is, or what he is using. So we dont know if his dusting is correct, or not correct, now do we? Ohh ya, forgot about that did we?

Last edited:
Ya not really, your talking to someone who has used uncovered soil for reptiles for the better part of 20 years. Try again.

If they are eating dirt, they are trying to make up for a missing item in their diet. This is seen with lots of animals, next time your dog eats the copper coils in your headphones, now you know why. A healthy animal can pass the Perlite, if they were to eat it just fine.

This isn't Facebook, we deal in science here. Do you have a link to support any of that? "Something Petr" said is not scientific fact nor is that an appropriate source, nor is it going to get you very far in a discussion around these parts :).

You said " Carry on with your good calcium vitamins schedule and cover your plant pot with something, so your cham does not get impaction from perlite."

We dont know what that schedule is, or what he is using. So we dont know if his dusting is correct, or not correct, now do we? Ohh ya, forgot about that did we?

now you know.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Male Juvenile Veiled Chameleon. Not sure of a age. been in my care for a week
  • Handling - Twice a day for a few minutes, he hisses when I take him out but is fine once I have him.
  • Feeding - I feed him crickets and superworms, covered in calcium without d3. I feed him as much as he eats, and that is a lot (around 7 crix and 4-5 superworms), i gut load my crix with a few apple slices and a cricket powder mix thing, along with cricket quencher water crystals.
  • Supplements - i dust almost every cricket with repticalcium without d3., with d3 once a month, a multivitamin once a month.
  • Watering - I mist cham until all leaves have droplets on them. i do this at 7am, 3pm, 6pm, and maybe 9pm. i don't see him drink as I have to leave right after i mist. I just got him a dripper.
  • Fecal Description - Never tested for anything, got him 3 days ago.
  • History - none.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - screen cage, 4 feet tall 2 feet deep and 2 feet wide.
  • Lighting - he is lit from 6:45 to 6:45. He has an intense basking spot lamp and a reptisun 5.0 uvb linear.
  • Temperature - Basking spot is 90-95 and room temp is 72 degrees, so same at night. I measured basking spot with laser thermometer thingy.
  • Humidity - Around 40% in the house and 50-70% after misting seshs.
  • Plants - 2 umbrella plants
  • Placement - The cage is a foot from the ceiling, it is in my room with minimal traffic.
  • Location - Moutain View, California.

now you know.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Male Juvenile Veiled Chameleon. Not sure of a age. been in my care for a week
  • Handling - Twice a day for a few minutes, he hisses when I take him out but is fine once I have him.
  • Feeding - I feed him crickets and superworms, covered in calcium without d3. I feed him as much as he eats, and that is a lot (around 7 crix and 4-5 superworms), i gut load my crix with a few apple slices and a cricket powder mix thing, along with cricket quencher water crystals.
  • Supplements - i dust almost every cricket with repticalcium without d3., with d3 once a month, a multivitamin once a month.
  • Watering - I mist cham until all leaves have droplets on them. i do this at 7am, 3pm, 6pm, and maybe 9pm. i don't see him drink as I have to leave right after i mist. I just got him a dripper.
  • History - none.

Cage Info:
  • Lighting - he is lit from 6:45 to 6:45. He has an intense basking spot lamp and a reptisun 5.0 uvb linear.
  • Temperature - Basking spot is 90-95 and room temp is 72 degrees, so same at night. I measured basking spot with laser thermometer thingy.
  • Placement - The cage is a foot from the ceiling, it is in my room with minimal traffic.

What Multivitamin are you using, and MVs should be twice a month for most, some are used every feeding, they all have different schedules, but most of them are twice a month. What MV are you using, because thats almost certainly not enough.

Most MVs, (the strong ones, and the Strong D3s) should be used, alternating, weeks. So Week 1 Day 5: D3, Week 2 Day 5: MV, Week 3 Day 5: D3, Week 4 Day 5: MV.

And @Molly1443 now you see what I am talking about...

• Your Chameleon - Male Juvenile Veiled Chameleon. Not sure of a age. been in my care for a week Are you sure it's a make?
  • Handling - Twice a day for a few minutes, he hisses when I take him out but is fine once I have him. When taking him out are you putting your hand around him and lifting/pulling him outor letting him walk out on you on his own?
  • Feeding - I feed him crickets and superworms, covered in calcium without d3. I feed him as much as he eats, and that is a lot (around 7 crix and 4-5 superworms), i gut load my crix with a few apple slices and a cricket powder mix thing, along with cricket quencher water crystals. don't make the insects into ghosts by dusting too heavily...just coat lightly. Forget the cricket quencher...there are better options. I use dandelion greens, kale, collards, mustard guash, zucchini, sweet potato, sweet red pepper, carrots, and a bit of apple, pears, berries, melon to feed/gutload the insects.
  • Supplements - i dust almost every cricket with repticalcium without d3., with d3 once a month, a multivitamin once a month. I would do twice a month with a phos free calcium/D3 powder, twice a month with a vitamin powder that contains a beta carotene source of vitamin A as well as the calcium on all other feedings.
  • History - none.

Cage Info:
  • Lighting - he is lit from 6:45 to 6:45. He has an intense basking spot lamp and a reptisun 5.0 uvb linear. You can use a regular household incandescent bulb for a basking bulb...wattage that gives the right basking temperature...mid to high 80's F for a young make. NO lights on at all at night.
hope this helps!

Last edited:
The thing is, we are trying to help this person, so, if your chams never did get impaction, it does not mean his cham won’t.
If they are eating dirt, they are trying to make up for a missing item in their diet. This is seen with lots of animals, next time your dog eats the copper coils in your headphones, now you know why.
You are off subject here. Dogs are not chams. A healthy animal can pass the Perlite, if they were to eat it just fine.

I know what geophagia is. I don’t think it helps anyone here.

Nematodes cover a few species, but many other. I suggest you read a book about it before arguing.

Petr is the science behind our husbandry lol. And he is all about science.

You said " Carry on with your good calcium vitamins schedule and cover your plant pot with something, so your cham does not get impaction from perlite."

I mentioned that to make him question his vit and calcium schedule. But I sould’ve ask what it is I agree.

I simply do not want to make this person oversupplement his cham. Gular edema and pseudogout are a big thing.
The best is that he just cover his plant pot.

Now you seem just like the person to be arguing on these facebook pages.
Be nice, would you?

• Your Chameleon - Male Juvenile Veiled Chameleon. Not sure of a age. been in my care for a week Are you sure it's a make?
  • Handling - Twice a day for a few minutes, he hisses when I take him out but is fine once I have him. When taking him out are you putting your hand around him and lifting/pulling him outor letting him walk out on you on his own?
  • Feeding - I feed him crickets and superworms, covered in calcium without d3. I feed him as much as he eats, and that is a lot (around 7 crix and 4-5 superworms), i gut load my crix with a few apple slices and a cricket powder mix thing, along with cricket quencher water crystals. don't make the insects into ghosts by dusting too heavily...just coat lightly. Forget the cricket quencher...there are better options. I use dandelion greens, kale, collards, mustard guash, zucchini, sweet potato, sweet red pepper, carrots, and a bit of apple, pears, berries, melon to feed/gutload the insects.
  • Supplements - i dust almost every cricket with repticalcium without d3., with d3 once a month, a multivitamin once a month. I would do twice a month with a phos free calcium/D3 powder, twice a month with a vitamin powder that contains a beta carotene source of vitamin A as well as the calcium on all other feedings.
  • History - none.

Cage Info:
  • Lighting - he is lit from 6:45 to 6:45. He has an intense basking spot lamp and a reptisun 5.0 uvb linear. You can use a regular household incandescent bulb for a basking bulb...wattage that gives the right basking temperature...mid to high 80's F for a young make. NO lights on at all at night.
hope this helps!
Thanks!

The thing is, we are trying to help this person, so, if your chams never did get impaction, it does not mean his cham won’t.
If they are eating dirt, they are trying to make up for a missing item in their diet. This is seen with lots of animals, next time your dog eats the copper coils in your headphones, now you know why.
You are off subject here. Dogs are not chams. A healthy animal can pass the Perlite, if they were to eat it just fine.

I know what geophagia is. I don’t think it helps anyone here.

Nematodes cover a few species, but many other. I suggest you read a book about it before arguing.

Petr is the science behind our husbandry lol. And he is all about science.

I mentioned that to make him question his vit and calcium schedule. But I sould’ve ask what it is I agree.

I simply do not want to make this person oversupplement his cham. Gular edema and pseudogout are a big thing.
The best is that he just cover his plant pot.

Be nice, would you?

Be nice, would you?

? I'm not being mean, you challenged my statement, I asked for a link, and said that we need links around here.

If it came off, as mean, I am sorry wasn't my intent, maybe a little short. You tried to refute my statement with fallacy's, what kind of response did you expect?

Back
Top Bottom