Is this ok?

Bemma33

I bought an umbrella tree from Walmart and it has a white mildew substance on the leaves. I tried removing most of it. Could this harm my cham?

Attachments

• 20180407_164207.jpg
    20180407_164207.jpg
    293.2 KB · Views: 97
White mildew? Those little white dots? Looks like hardwater spots but could be residual pesticide depending on what the green house used. I would make sure its all gone just to be safe. Put some soapy water in a spray bottle. Try wiping it off. Now that i think about it they could be burns too if they were watered in full sunlight.

It may be residue from hard water or it may contain residues from sprayed fertilizers or pesticides, or could be a combination of both. Clean the leaves as suggested...You could test the white coatings by rubbing with vinegar....if its hard water the vinegar will dissolve it. It may be easiest to trim off the leaves with the heaviest coatings and focus on cleaning the rest. Leaves will replace themselves. If its just hard water residue it won't hurt your cham, but the problem is, we don't know what else is in it. Clean the leaves that have less spotting and trim off the ones that are worse.

Back
Top Bottom